Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Toshiba L670 range i3 CPU upgrade  

freya
(@freya)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Thought it may be of interest as these i3 laptops are getting on a bit. Discovered today they are fully upgradable to i5-580 CPU`s which really gives them some kick.
Mine started as an i3-330m, then went to i3-390m in 2019 and today i5-580m

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2020 6:10 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Have you an SSD fitted, these can also improve performance?

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2020 8:05 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

I did something similar to the beat-up HP Elitebook 8460p I'm writing this on. It gained a 2.3GHz i7-2820QM CPU (original was an i5) and 16Gb of RAM - but by far and away the biggest improvement was the WD Blue 1Tb SSD. W10 is up and running in about 10-15 seconds and that's because it has to load grub first.

I did have to beef up the charger though - it now has a 90W one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2020 8:34 pm
freya
(@freya)

Yes, crucial 500GB SSD makes my windows 10 load to usable desktop in 10-15  seconds, much better than the 1 minute with the spinning platters 😏  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2020 9:05 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

One thing to watch with SSDs is applications that continually write to the disk, esp. database apps. Depending on the frequency of writes they will wear out any SSD in time, often in 6 or 12 months. This despite SRAM caching and wear leveling.

Now what we REALLY need is F-RAM SSDs!

F-RAM provides fast writes at full interface speed. F-RAM does not have any write delays and data is instantly nonvolatile. Traditional nonvolatile memories have delays of 5 or more milliseconds before data becomes nonvolatile. If power is disrupted, pending data is lost unless the system has extra capacitance or batteries to keep the system on until data is stored.

F-RAM offers virtually unlimited endurance of 100 trillion read/write cycles. Traditional nonvolatile memories typically have less than 1 million cycle endurance, forcing system designers to use complex wear-leveling routines and up to 4x more density to prolong the lifetime of these memories.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2020 3:01 am
freya and Nuvistor liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@irob2345

F-RAM looks interesting, I looked up F-RAM and Fe-RAM are they the same?

The later SSD’s still suffer from write wear but for most home users it probably won’t be a problem for a good few years and we all take good tested backups ( don’t we?). 😀 

Is the F-RAM technology years away or could we see it in home use in the near future?

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2020 9:34 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

FeRAM or FRAM has been available for quite a while. It was invented by CSIRO in Australia for data logging applications and was first available as a 256 bit serial part. Current max seems to be 8Mbits - you'd need a lot of them to make a useful size SSD.

Re SSD wear:

About 10 - 15 years back we were building disk-less Linux-based network video players that booted from a USB stick. Despite my warnings they started shipping these things, only to have them all bounce back in 12 to 18 months, just like I said they would. Solution was to mount the USB as read-only and make a RAM disk for the use of the OS and its temporary files.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2020 9:50 am
Nuvistor liked
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

I believe the L670 will accept an i7 CPU with a turbo boost of up to 3.46GHz and 4MB of Smart Cache.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/49666/intel-core-i7-640m-processor-4m-cache-2-80-ghz.html

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2020 1:23 am
freya liked
freya
(@freya)

That would be nice, but it would mean buying to try and china is the only source so far as i can find.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2020 3:28 pm