Tech Chat What Goes Around, Comes Around

13 Posts
6 Users
33 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

They say, if you live long enough, you see a lot of things come back into fashion.

newoldtv

Love it or loath it, I'd have one any day over the bland TV on the wall/black glossy rectangle on the sideboard. I don't suppose it will catch on, except with the retro brigade.

https://deluxefurnitureco.com/

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 23/01/2022 5:05 pm
19Seventie
(@19seventie)
Estimable Member Registered

I personally loathe it, but would much rather it than an exposed flat screen - I really dislike those things! If the opening was a little softer in shape, not so angular, it could look better too.

That being said it's 1000x better than gutting a real set and shoving a flat screen inside! 

Posted : 23/01/2022 6:06 pm
helloekco, crustytv, helloekco and 3 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @19seventie

personally loathe it, but would much rather it than an exposed flat screen

Exactly my point 👍 I'd take it any day over seeing the soulless crap we have on offer now. Agree, the mask could have been done a little better.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 23/01/2022 6:22 pm
WayneD
(@wayned)
Honorable Member Registered

The fact that a large company like Samsung is starting to acknowledge the retro feel, it gives you an idea of where we're heading!

samsung advert

Also, I've just noticed is that a silhouette of a cat on top? Wonder if you can choose a penguin instead... 😆  

Posted : 23/01/2022 6:29 pm
helloekco, crustytv, helloekco and 3 people reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

In fact I am surprised that slimline cabinets or trim's are not available, similar to a picture frame for example. Then the flat TV "thing" can be made to match decor or blend in more.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 23/01/2022 6:37 pm
19Seventie
(@19seventie)

My mum has just got one of those new Sky Glass TVs which is purely WIFI based and has no need for a set top box. They're around 2" thick or so, give or take, but the actual visible trim from the front is a couple mm or so, however that can be either white, black, blue, green or pink. Seems kinda pointless to me as you're never really going to see it, but I suppose it's a sales gimmick of sorts. 

I think I'll stick to my CRT based sets. 

Posted : 23/01/2022 6:56 pm
WayneD
(@wayned)

This is more my taste.

Screenshot 20220123 214541 Chrome

https://www.lovehulten.com/cabinet1.html

Posted : 23/01/2022 9:48 pm
Alex728
(@alex728)

Posted by: @wayned

Also, I've just noticed is that a silhouette of a cat on top? Wonder if you can choose a penguin instead... 😆  

It may be an actual kitten - the TV has a slightly wider "shelf" on the top and other photos show items being placed on there (although an adult cat might struggle to fit on the space, which reminds me of the numerous Youtube videos around 2012 and DSO in many countries showing confused/annoyed cats trying and failing to get on top of a new flat screen digital TV)..

The cardboard box the Samsung TV comes in can apparently be repurposed as a cat house (or shelves if you don't have any cats)

Posted : 26/01/2022 3:58 pm
WayneD, WayneD and WayneD reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @wayned
samsung advert

I've just noticed is that a silhouette of a cat on top? 

Wittekat! - At least we can still get the real thing these days, but have you noticed how hard it is to find a cat, or dog, just lately?

Posted : 26/01/2022 7:09 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @crustytv

They say, if you live long enough, you see a lot of things come back into fashion.

That screen mask is a direct rip-off of almost every TV/monitor screen in any Irwin Allen film or TV production you might care to mention - Thinking immediately of 'Lost In Space' and 'Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea'.

In the pilot episode of Lost In Space, the exact same mask is seen in the mission control 'center' in several iterations, and again, in Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, it is seen in Admiral Harriman Nelson's private quarters, and in the command centre's conference rooms.

There are other places too, but these are the most often sighted - It certainly has come around!

Posted : 26/01/2022 7:20 pm
WayneD
(@wayned)

@katie-bush I hadn't noticed that there was a shortage of cats or dogs?

This is my cat in his bed:

FB IMG 1643304217348

Posted : 27/01/2022 5:33 pm
WayneD
(@wayned)

I dabbled with teletext art a few years ago and did a display on an LCD screen for Liverpool Makefest. The LCD screen didn't really look right so I got some cardboard, some Poundland sticky back plastic wood effect, some cheap car chrome trim and a few knobs from the junk box and....

FB IMG 1638045401858
FB IMG 1638045370951

Posted : 29/01/2022 7:36 pm
ntscuser, Red_to_Black, ntscuser and 3 people reacted
WayneD
(@wayned)

I've been saying to a friend that runs a Doctor Who-themed gift shop for years that one day VHS tapes will be fashionable again, in the same way that vinyl records (he has loads of Doctor Who VHS tapes). He always laughed. However....

FB IMG 1650726005810
FB IMG 1650726014244

Limited edition movie release on VHS! I totally called it! 

Posted : 23/04/2022 5:56 pm
Lloyd, Lloyd and Lloyd reacted
Share: