15 Posts
7 Users
3 Likes
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Evening all,

I've just had an odd pop-up appeared on my screen, It reads: (As near as I can recall)

Your version of Windows 10

is nearing end of service.

Click on an option below

to upgrade.

[Pick a Time] - [Upgrade Tonight] - [Upgrade Now]

Is this for real, or is it malware?

Marion

Posted : 13/02/2020 9:32 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Hi Marion, not running Windows 10 but seems genuine. See here on MS website. And some further info here also.

John.

Posted : 13/02/2020 9:37 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Which version of Win 10 have you. Win 10 EOL document.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet.

They go EOL after 18 months, the idea is a rolling update that is always Win 10 but with different builds numbers.

The infamous 1809 version goes EOL in May 2020.

Quite right to question the message and Win 10 updates are very often automatic. Can’t give any more advice than this, I am sure you won’t be downloading anything other than from the MS official site. I don’t have MS a Windows software 

Frank

Posted : 13/02/2020 9:43 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi John,

Thanks for the link. I'll see if it happens again, and gingerly opt to update there and then.

It just seemed a bit odd that W10 would be reaching EOS so soon.

Posted : 13/02/2020 9:45 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Frank,

Now knowing would be telling, and I haven't a clue which version this is. I bought this laptop as a refurbished "second user" (used) unit with a fresh install of W10 already in place, so I've never really questioned it.

I bought it about 12 months ago, and to all intents and purposes, it appears to be an original Packard Bell OEM version.

Curiously though, I've had a couple of "clunky" nights with this thing, then on Tuesday night I received an automatic update. I was not online last night, and the update finished tonight when I powered it up, but it's taken about four hours for this thing to decide to 'pop-up'.

Posted : 13/02/2020 9:56 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

It’s a decision they made when Win 10 came out in 2015 was it? They have this idea that rolling out another version will save the big switch say from 7 to 10 with many not wanting Win 8.

After saying that there is still a Long term support for those enterprises that want it.It seems to be the way software is produced today, update often, get it out there in the user base ASAP. 

Expect to update at least every 18 months although there is a 6 monthly update that you can install as well and then there is the monthly Patch Tuesday.

Frank

Posted : 13/02/2020 9:58 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: @katie-bush

Now knowing would be telling, and I haven't a clue which version this is

windows + i key  This opens windows settings page

click on "System"

scroll down and click on "About"

The windows specification section will tell you what build you have ? 

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 13/02/2020 9:59 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@crustytv

Or -  Win + R; this opens the 'Run' command.

Type 'winver' in the box and hit return.

Mine is Version 1903 (see attached)

Result of winver

Posted : 13/02/2020 10:18 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Owe-Kaye........

That was interesting! - I thought I'd take a peek at the options for shutting down the computer, thinking I would deal with the upgrade tomorrow, maybe, but the only shut down option I had was "Install updates & Restart". So that's what I did, for good, or for bad, or for worse.

One hour and forty five minutes later and the job's done. Not noticing anything significant just yet, but then I've only been up and running for about ten minutes.

I'm now on version 1909, after following the advice above - Thanks Chris and Mike. ?

Time for a ? then bed, I reckon!

Marion

Posted : 13/02/2020 11:53 pm
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Honorable Member Registered

@katie-bush  All sounds perfectly normal W10 update system.

I had a computer that had been in storage for nearly 3 years, it took all night to finish the last upgrade to W10.

Boater Sam

Posted : 14/02/2020 4:28 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

I've got version 1903. I just let it update automatically.

Posted : 14/02/2020 6:15 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

My next plan is to attempt an upgrade on my W7 laptop. There are several videos on YouTube, and it seems that from the MS website, the free upgrade option was never turned off and is still available if you know what you're looking for.

Posted : 15/02/2020 12:20 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@katie-bush

I wouldn't bother, Marion: I did that to my previous HP laptop which originally ran XP, and then ran 7 very well indeed - in fact, better than when it ran XP. 

It became unusable with W10. 

Posted : 15/02/2020 12:43 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @cathovisor

@katie-bush

I wouldn't bother, Marion: I did that to my previous HP laptop which originally ran XP, and then ran 7 very well indeed - in fact, better than when it ran XP. 

It became unusable with W10. 

Hi Mike,

I remember hitting that wall with one of my 'netbook' computers (if you can justify calling them that), 1Gb RAM, intel 'Atom' - 1.7GHz single core CPU. Dragged that thing down to less than useless.

The machine I have in mind, an Acer laptop, is at least a 'Core 2 Duo' with 6Gb RAM. Not sure of the CPU speed, about 2.1GHz (I think) and about 700 Gb HDD. At any rate, it runs W7 with ease, and if push came to shove, I have the W7 setup disc and product key to restore it to its present state if needed.

i was just thinking of using it as sort of 'suck it and see' project.

Posted : 15/02/2020 12:58 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

That *should* be all right; I upgraded my HP to a Core 2 Duo of about 1.4GHz IIRC and 4ish Gb of RAM but W10 ruined it.

One machine that has pleasantly surprised me are the ones we use at work, mostly in an 'industrial' role - the Intel 'NUC' machines. Run W10 with ease, tiny and fanless. The one that comes to mind runs a program that allows us to take control of a multi-channel disk recorder via its Unix remote desktop.

Posted : 15/02/2020 12:02 pm
Share: