Notifications
Clear all

XHDATA D-808 Portable Radio

MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Hi All.
Well today I was well impressed by the above portable radio. It is a modern digitally controlled analogue AM/FM/SSB radio with amazing spec and features.
It tunes from 150Khz to 450Khz, 522Khz to 29.999Mhz AM & SSB, 64Mhz to 108Mhz WBFM with RDS & 118Mhz to 137Mhz Air band.
The sensitivity specs are excellent, it also has variable bandwidth on AM and SSB a LI-ion rechargeable battery (18650).
I was shown one today when I went to see Bob and his son has one. Outside and away from RFI the performance with the internal aerial on Medium wave was stunning, far better than a Sony ICF SW2001 and considerably better than any portable I have seen or used. The bandwidth is selectable and this is very useful for adjacent strong station rejection. It was so impressive i have ordered one from Amazon.
Here are some links that may be useful.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/XHDATA-Portable-Digital-External-Rechargeable/dp/B077Z2P28F
https://swling.com/blog/tag/xhdata-d-808/
https://swling.com/blog/2018/01/georges-review-of-the-xhdata-d-808/
https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13710
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tecsun-PL-398MP-2-2-Full-Band-Digital-Tuning-Stereo-Radio-Receiver-w-Stand-and-MP3/1504908567.html

Mine should be here on Friday.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/12/2018 9:22 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

So Xmas wrapping paper on the radio on Friday and put away until the 25th? ? 

Happy listening.

Edit. Could you do a short review, I may be tempted after Christmas if you find it ok. Appreciate the review would be after you open your present on Christmas Day. ? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2018 10:08 pm
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)

Hi Frank.

I doubt it'll get anywhere near the 25th without being played with ? It's not often I buy myself something (don't tell Anne that one) so am looking forward to it.

I'll be more than happy to do a report on the radio.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/12/2018 10:10 am
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)

Hi.

The radio arrived today one day earlier. It is extremely well packed, it was obviously in Amazons obligatory cardboard packing but underneath there is four further layers of protection. The little instruction book is well written and not in the usual pigeon English you normally get from Chinese products. The set itself feels quite substantial, not overly light and the plastic cabinet doesn't "pant" with pressure. The LI-Ion battery is pre fitted and requires the removal of an insulating piece before use. There is also a printed sheet with an E-mail address to contact if there is any damage to the set on opening the box. I gave the battery a quick charge from a 5v USB supply (Only a charging lead is supplied) for half an hour and set about exploring the bands.

Firstly I tried FM, I Tuned in my locals and was very impressed with the audio quality, very good for a set of its size, on my Sennheiser headphones the quality is first class and stereo is noise free with good separation. Weak stations are easily received, much better than a Roberts R505, and a Sony ICF-SW55. RDS is quick and sets the clock within 15 seconds. In comparison to the Sony there is on images on FM using a three element FM beam fed to the external aerial.

Next was MW, sensitivity is very good on the internal aerial but on MW & LW the external aerial doesn't work. I was able to resolve Downtown Radio from Belfast on 1026Khz with 10Kw which is 9Khz higher frequency than my local West sound on 1035Khz 320 watts but only 4 miles from me. Reducing the bandwidth removed all splatter completely. Radio Caroline was receivable from around 1pm but it wasn't as its best today on any set. Overall I am very pleased with performance on Medium wave, down side is you cant use the external aerial on MW & LW. Unfortunately Long wave sensitivity is not good, Radio 4 is reasonable but RTE on 252Khz is poor, most sets here are good on it. A few turns of wire round the set and using the long wire and earth make a big improvement and its easy enough to resolve foreign stations either side of 198Khz.

Air band is very good as well with good signals from the Scotland's met report, I also received a number of ATC conversations this afternoon sitting in the livingroom at good strength.

Short wave has had less testing but I've received SSB on the rod aerial and much improved reception on external from the loop.

Overall I'd say this is a very good buy, a terrific set to carry around when out and about, it also works really well on all bands except Long wave, the External aerial socket is enabled on all except MW/LW, the bandwidth filter is effective, the fine tuner is not too sharp and the memories are easy to program and open.

I'd certainly recommend the set.

XHDATA D808
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/12/2018 8:16 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Thanks for the review, I am sure you will enjoy the radio. If I can get over this cold I am going to be at my daughters, should have been this weekend but I think it will be early next week.

I will have a think about it over Christmas.

You made a comment about a fine tuner, the step range is 1Khz on SW, is the fine tuner to help resolve SSB?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/12/2018 8:33 pm
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)

Hi Frank.

Yes it's for SSB but it does fine tune on all AM bands even AIR. It needs a fair amount of twiddling to shift 1KHz perhaps 20Hz per notch, I'd need to count how many for 1khz.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/12/2018 9:45 pm
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)

Hi.

After a few more days with the radio I have a bit more info on the set. The battery supplied with the radio is a 2000mAH Li-ion 3.7v. Initially it seemed to run down very quick but after three charges it now runs for over 5 hours before it drops one bar on the indicator. There is a 3000mAH battery available for under £8.00 including carriage, I've ordered one for a spare. Last night I didn't sleep very well, and went into the spare room so I didn't disturb the missus. I put on Caroline on 648kHZ and eventually nodded off, reception was good but had faded away when I woke up this morning. Short wave is not what it was, the bands are nothing like they were even 10 years ago, the demise of Radio Australia from short wave is saddening, fortunately Radio New Zealand is still transmitting on short wave but quite hard to hear here. I did get a bit of success with the radio though receiving it in 15720kHZ using the loop fed to the aerial socket, obviously there was noting on the rod aerial, reception was weak and there were fade outs but none the less I could receive it for a short time.

I've also picked up a good few amateurs on 80, 40 & 20 meters, SSB works fine and once you get used to the fine tuner reception is clear even on weak signals, adjusting the bandwidth and using headphones work best.

The inbuilt temperature sensor/reading is a little optimistic, when using the set after about an hour it rises between 2-3 degrees and if your holding it or its sitting on your lap it reads even higher obviously.

I still think this set is a good buy and very useful indeed. I'm hoping for an opening in the summer and perhaps pick up some Russian FM stations on the extended lower FM band.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/12/2018 11:20 am
jjl
 jjl
(@jjl)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I received a XHDATA D-808 as a Christmas present and I'm quite pleased with it.

I took it along on my recent holiday to the north of India just to see what I could pick up. As expected, not much on MW or SW in cities; the airwaves over there are laden with just as much SMPS noise and various buzzes as in UK urban areas. We visited a lodge near a small village in the countryside and conditions were much better there; I could receive many Chinese stations on SW between about 14MHz and 18MHz, one was an English language station. There was also a single Hindi language station in the same range, only 1 Hindi station on MW and quite a few stations on FM.

I've noticed that the fine tune steps are 1KHz apart from in SSB mode where they are much finer, Trevor - is your set the same?

John

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2019 1:36 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

There is a fine tuner in Trevor’s set, about 20hz a notch so very fine, see early post in this thread.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2019 2:58 pm