Notifications
Clear all

Workshop Farnell E350 HT PSU

mfd70
(@mfd70)
Active V-Ratter Registered

After my DIY HT PSU transformer failed the other day, I made an impulse buy of a Farnell E350, which is a 0-350 V at 100mA regulated variable power supply, a well made and compact unit. It arrived today and works OK on the lower ranges but the current limit seems to operate too soon on the higher ranges, this improves a little when I replace the EL34 regulator valve. I'm sure it will be easy to sort out, has anyone had any experience with these units ?

20210819 210522 resized
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/08/2021 10:25 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

I've got one of these but not experienced the problem you've had.

The manual is available at Elektrotanya.

These days I use a fully solid-state HP, the 6209B.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 10:31 pm
mfd70
(@mfd70)

Well that was an easy fix ! A Hunts 2µF across the output terminals breaking down, the clue being the ammeter  was reading with no load. I had a 1.5µF 400V DC in stock and this cured the fault and proves the current limiter is working properly. I left the original EL34 in as it seems to be OK, it looks like a "Blackburn gold label" Mullard (probably in there from new), so I could sell it for four times what I paid for the PSU and fit one of my new old stock EL34s...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/08/2021 9:53 pm
PYE625 liked
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @mfd70

so I could sell it for four times what I paid for the PSU and fit one of my new old stock EL34s...

Nah, don't do that... be a shame to separate good friends after so long.

That EL34 has a good home where it is. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 10:15 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @pye625
Posted by: @mfd70

so I could sell it for four times what I paid for the PSU and fit one of my new old stock EL34s...

Nah, don't do that... be a shame to separate good friends after so long.

That EL34 has a good home where it is. 😉 

Nope - sell that EL34 and treat your PSU to matching knobs from somewhere!!

Look, these people deserve to be exploited if this is the sort of thing they're in to:

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/synergistic-research-orange-high-end-uk-13a-fuse

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2021 12:00 am
mfd70
(@mfd70)

@cathovisor How long did it take you to spoof that website ?

£155 for a plugtop fuse ?

Pull the other one.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/08/2021 12:18 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

@mfd70

I wish I could say I was that talented, but...

https://www.synergisticresearch.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2021 1:06 am
6.3volts
(@6-3volts)

@cathovisor Wow I'm almost speachless! All these years of wondering why my sound system sounded like a can of bolts rolling down stairs.

Thank you so much for this ray of sunshine. Now I can turn my attention to the housewiring and distribution board before contacting the power company about that low grade wire they are using to connect me to their substandard grid.

Do you have any info on where I can obtain similar quality low-noise plugs and wall sockets? (unswitched of course).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2021 9:23 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @6-3volts

Do you have any info on where I can obtain similar quality low-noise plugs and wall sockets? (unswitched of course).

You jest, but for a while it was felt that Crabtree mains plugs (when they made them) were more "musical". I have a few lurking here...

I've often wondered about the house wiring in the homes of these enthusiasts: they'd faint if they saw some of the studios I've worked in.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a resurgence in BS 546 plugs for hi-fi systems, but at least it's better than what I encountered on a Nakamichi cassette deck I bought: the plug fuse had been thrown away and the live soldered directly to the fuse clip...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2021 11:54 am
6.3volts liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@cathovisor 

Thats similar to part of a 6 inch nail I found in one 13amp plug instead of a fuse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2021 11:58 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Illustrious V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: @nuvistor

@cathovisor 

Thats similar to part of a 6 inch nail I found in one 13amp plug instead of a fuse.

Evidently, a piece of copper brake pipe (quarter inch O/D) is considered far superior in many ways, but what the real 'phools' flip over is the fact that it's hollow - It gives rise to a special form of "surface wave effect" which lines up all the AC electrons to remove the "backscatter effect" found to apparent when using steel nails in lieu of a fuse.

Current R&D studies are very exciting as the experts have also discovered that if the [now called] "pipeline" AC fuse is filled with a specific, and exceptionally rare, Japanese rare earth (white silica sand) which adds a new level of control over tonal sibilance never previously attainable by any other means.

"Sorry mate, rusty old nails don't cut it anymore"!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2021 4:24 pm
Nuvistor liked