Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Generating test signals and patterns - stored images/DVD?  

EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Assuming I could get hold of suitable images, are there any cons to using either a USB stick with the images on (my video machine should cope with them) or, as I have heard mentioned, a DVD with different images in its chapters?

Are there any pros, other than the obvious one of cost, to doing it this way?

Are there any images I might possibly need to generate that couldn't be adequately produced this way? (crosshatch, for example)

"Yes, a bit of wet string may get you a good TV signal here on four channels, but you'll have to dry it out to get Channel 5!"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2020 8:54 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @emleymoor

I have heard mentioned, a DVD with different images in its chapters?

Hi Phil,

The Test Card DVD you've heard mention of is an .iso image and can be found in the Vrat data library, there are two versions to download.

The DVD ISO's were created by Mike Bennett for the benefit of the vintage communities and members who did not have test card/pattern generators. Before anyone gets aggrieved about them being locked away, the DVD ISO images are located in the library as only photos are permitted to be uploaded into the forum, no other reason than that. Should anyone want them who does not have library access, they are freely available from UKVRRR see here.

Phil, as you've become one of our more "active" members, in accordance with the library criteria, I've just upgraded your account to now include data library access. ?

Note: Information on how to access and use the data library can be found here.

You should find the data library of great interest, not only reams of service data but lots of magazines, books, period 'old time' radio shows and other interesting items. If you look in the section "Technical Tools" you will see the DVD .iso's to download, use your favourite burning software. You may also be interested to note, the library also has a huge section of period Test card Music you may like to use when displaying test cards.

The two .iso's contain many historic test cards from early Black and White cards (Bat wings), experimental Colour and the usual test cards such as C, D right through to test card F with bubbles. I've not used it (I have dedicated generators) but I believe it does have cross-hatch and colour bars included.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2020 9:01 am
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv Oh, nice... that will help also to pass the time during my semi-distancing. As I suggested, I could probably, with the right source material, have knocked something together myself, but I will certainly try out the DVD in the library.

"Yes, a bit of wet string may get you a good TV signal here on four channels, but you'll have to dry it out to get Channel 5!"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2020 9:39 am