13 Posts
7 Users
3 Likes
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hello all,

Yet again I was trawling the bay for no particular reason (a dangerous thing to do) and happened upon this AM/FM signal generator. I recognised it immediately as I used one for many years at my previous employment. It was the reference for many a tuner that was produced and returned for service !

Anyway, this one will be winging it's way to me shortly and will be a very useful item. I obtained it for £90 so think it was pretty reasonable. Here are the vendors photo's of the actual generator for now.....

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 13/07/2017 9:40 am
freya
(@freya)
Prominent Member Registered

Very nice bit of kit, and a great price !

Posted : 13/07/2017 10:02 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

It appears to have a Stereo Encoder built in, is that correct? Is it wideband FM or will it do narrow as well? There are "begin and end " decade switches ,will it perform as a sweep gen?

Sorry lots of questions. Nice piece of test gear.

Frank

Posted : 13/07/2017 11:07 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Very nice bit of kit Andrew, your certainly building up a nice collection of test gear now thumb_gif

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 13/07/2017 11:22 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

nuvistor said
It appears to have a Stereo Encoder built in, is that correct? Is it wideband FM or will it do narrow as well? There are "begin and end " decade switches ,will it perform as a sweep gen?

Sorry lots of questions. Nice piece of test gear.  

Hi Frank, yes it has a stereo encoder, and as far as I remember, it is wide FM. The decade switches are to select a range of pre-programmed signal conditions that can be stored in memory and can be retrieved quickly by rotating the dec-inc dial and pressing recall. If working, this is a useful feature and avoids lots of fiddling about when several differing signals are required. 

I will try and obtain a manual for this as I learned how to use it at work by purely trial and error lol 

Posted : 13/07/2017 11:34 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

marc said
Very nice bit of kit Andrew, your certainly building up a nice collection of test gear now thumb_gif

Marc.  

Thanks Marc, it was a pure chance that I happened across this item, I can't even remember exactly where I was browsing on ebay.

Posted : 13/07/2017 11:41 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

freya said
Very nice bit of kit, and a great price !  

Let's hope it is fully operational..... watch this space  grin_gif

Posted : 13/07/2017 11:42 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Again, it looks very useful with the added bonus of a stereo encoder. I acquired a Heathkit stereo generator from the Wireless Museum for a couple of quid which is going to need a little work to restore functionality; currently I have an Armstrong tuner-amplifier which will not decode stereo despite working through some bodges and blinders on the decoder introduced by 'enemy action'. I noticed that the cores in the detector transformer had been 'got at' and I wonder if the alignment has been compromised enough to lose the 19kHz pilot tone; the decoder in the Armstrong is directly driven by doubling the 19kHz tone to get 38kHz to drive the switching elements - a pair of AF11whatevers.

Posted : 13/07/2017 11:57 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi, well I am now in possession of the user and service manual for the LSG-216. (Plus 330PDF files of other Leader equipment).

I obtained them via an electronic download from this company.....

www  ultimateservicemanuals  com

There is a MASSIVE range of manuals that maybe purchased from them and their site is well worth a browse.

(For instance, the Philips vintage audio, radio and TV DVD (or download) contains a whopping 2340 service manuals alone. All for about £16.00).

Posted : 13/07/2017 5:04 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi,

Today it arrived and does appear to operate as it should, you never can be quite  sure, so am very pleased.

rsz_img_3045.jpgrsz_img_3046.jpgrsz_img_3047.jpgrsz_img_3048.jpgrsz_img_3052.jpgrsz_img_3049.jpg(470khz carrier, then AM followed by FM)rsz_img_3050.jpgrsz_img_3051.jpg

Posted : 17/07/2017 7:20 pm
Mikey66, Mikey66 and Mikey66 reacted
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

@pye625:

@pye625

I'm currently servicing my old faithful LSG-216 as it has developed several age related problems as:

• memory loss (NiCd memory battery)
  • quirky attenuator (4 relays inside VCO module)

I solved all these problems but I'm still trying to locate the main reference crystal oscillator (with a trimmer capacitor) as the generated frequency is off by about 55kHz on the 75-115MHz band. Some help from someone who owns the service manual would be greatly appreciated.

Mod Note:

Putting a : at the end of the mention for pye625, invalidated the syntax of the mention therefore it failed to notify him. The post has been edited and a new syntax correct mention added. The old was left in place with a strike-through, by way of example where you went wrong. A correct mention will end up being a link ( blue) that points to the members homepage.

Hope this advice helps you.

Posted : 02/04/2021 2:04 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@alleyoop

Get in touch with Leader directly - they're very good on service manuals. 

Posted : 02/04/2021 8:31 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @marc

Marc.

That it is, and sort of kicks my humble function generator into the trashcan! - Just when I thought I was finally going places too! 💥🙀🤦

Posted : 02/04/2021 6:21 pm
Share: