5 Users
0 Likes
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

About two and a half years ago I set about making a control centre to run my vintage TV's from which I wrote a thread about on the old forum (  http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7658&hilit=+mission+control ) It has proved to be a very useful bit of kit indeed but now it's time to advance it further.....The MK 2 Mission Control is born. 

Over the past few months I've managed to accumulate various bits and pieces from various second hand shops, Charity shops, eBay and the odd radio rally.

I'm using 3 Goodmans GDR11 freeview box's as these have built in modulators.

Bush T2 Freeview box 'new' (at least I can watch 'Talking Movies' on Channel 81).

Kramer 4 way video/audio switch box picked up from a radio rally.

Cinetec DVD player from a charity shop.

Dragon Sat modulator from my old set up and with low voltage conversion.

Aurora standards converter from the old system.

A double pole mains switch (ex immersion heater)

'Cube' box from B&Q to put it all in

And finally a couple of 3" fans in the back to keep it all cool.

The new system provides 3 permanent UHF 625 channels plus a choice of DVD, T2 Freeview and an auxiliary input to a fourth channel. It's just like the old days, you can turn on a set and press the channel you want and it works !

As for VHF 405 the 4 way switch box allows for the choice of one freeview box, DVD, T2 freeview and test card or aux on the 4th button. I've also incorporated a variable attenuator on the 405 output.

There are 2 outputs one being VHF 405 and the other UHF 625, I didn't diplex them as the 8 way aerial amplifiers that they feed have separate VHF & UHF inlets and work better separated. 

The main power switch apart from turning off all the various gizmos and gadgets also provides a switched power point for the vintage TV's to run from but more importantly to be double pole isolated when not in use.

Anyway here's a couple of photo's....MK2 over the previous MK 1

Marc.

DSCF3805-Medium.JPG DSCF2595-Medium-1.JPG 

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 06/10/2016 1:48 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Well done on a great method of keeping all the bits of equipment in a tidy set-up thumb_gif

I also like the idea of the "water heater" switch so a cuppa can be made at any time !!

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 06/10/2016 6:17 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

PYE625 said
I also like the idea of the "water heater" switch so a cuppa can be made at any time !!  

Well there's nothing like brewing up a good idea !grin_gif

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 06/10/2016 6:41 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

I was looking for any excuse to post this! grin_gif

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 06/10/2016 6:51 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Oooooh....a nice cuppa tea mmmm

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 06/10/2016 6:55 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

A gentle reminder about the "unnecessary" use of the thanks button ( examples of which are on posts #2 & #3), its correct use and reasons behind this can be found here.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 06/10/2016 9:49 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

One observation, Marc: there doesn't seem to be any ventilation for the stack of Goodmans STBs - or anywhere, come to that - although you do mention a couple of small fans at the rear, are they enough?

All of the units you've used are designed to be cooled by convection, so I would imagine some of them will be getting uncomfortably hot after a while.

I know that, in the original set-up at Dulwich, one of the stack of STBs started cutting out for this reason. It has all been neatly rebuilt for the current system but I recall a piece of firewood being pressed into service to give some vertical separation between the problem STB and the others below it!

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 14/10/2016 11:00 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Terry,

Despite appearances on the photo there are larger feet fitted to give larger airflow gaps under and in between the Goodmans STBs and a 4" fan directly behind them and you can feel a nice steady breeze through them.

Likewise the Bush T2 box, Aurora and the modulator are also blown from a second 4" fan. The DVD has it's own rear fan ventilator built in and all the other items are unpowered. 

As a complete system everything seems quite content with no sign of excess heat after a good 8 hour run so I reckon the cooling is on top of the job. I do have a third fan that I could fit with a 40c switch if I suspect the unit ever does get too warm in hotter weather, I shall see how it goes.

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 14/10/2016 12:27 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

That all makes sense, Marc.

I've played around with your picture in an editor and increasing the brightness does show the gaps up! Those plus the fan should do the trick!

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 14/10/2016 7:54 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Just purely out of interest next time I have the system powered up for a long duration I'll pop a temperature probe above the STBs and see how warm it gets and report back.

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 15/10/2016 11:39 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

I ran the system for 5 hours today with a temperature probe buried in between the STBs with the cooling fans turned "off" and the temperature reached a maximum of 37c after switching on the fans the temperature dropped to 32c. So it looks like even with the fans off in a warm room the temperatures are still within the equipment's manufacturers tolerances although I will leave the fans running. First photo....5 hours with no fans    Second photo.....with fans switch on

DSCF3823-Medium.JPGDSCF3822-Medium.JPG

Marc. 

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 15/10/2016 9:22 pm
Share: