Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Workshop New toy Tektronix TDS210 scope

sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I treated myself to a new toy....well it's not new but extremely good second hand from eBay, modestly priced at £150. Prior to that I was struggling with an ageing Philips dual beam analogue scope that recently has spent more time with the casing off and boards hanging out than actually being used. I decided that enough was enough!

The Tektronix has come from a closed service workshop and was complete with two probes. No user manual but it's not far different from the ones I use at work so operation is quite straightforward. I've been playing with it this evening and can't fault it. A treat to have a scope that actually works on both inputs and of course being digital, it allows me to store waveforms if necessary. It is more than adequate for the sort of work I do at home and is of course a much higher spec than the ageing Philips which I have to say has done sterling service for nearly 40 years.

js1024 100 0254
js1024 100 0251
js1024 100 0265

Some screenshots, the first two showing the probes connected to the calibration terminal, the third is a couple of waveforms taken from my home-made FM stereo generator showing the 38Khz subcarrier squarewave (top) and the 19khz pilot tone waveform (bottom) before being squared. Before anyone comments on the overshoot of the squarewave, these are the raw waveforms before being filtered and cleaned up.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/07/2021 10:51 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Nice one Rich 👍 always nice to have new toys 😊 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2021 11:32 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @sideband

The Tektronix has come from a closed service workshop and was complete with two probes. No user manual but it's not far different from the ones I use at work so operation is quite straightforward.

User manual here:

https://uk.tek.com/oscilloscope/tds210-manual/tds200-series-user-manual

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2021 3:39 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I quite like these little scopes, they used to have them back when I first started work, at a mobile phone repair centre. There was one kicking about at my current workplace a few years ago, it was well past it’s best, the screen backlight used to require a 10 minute wait before it would come on, then it was so dim that you needed the screen shaded! All the controls had become glitchy too, sometimes things would change on their own! I don’t know where it is now, I bet it’s been thrown out, the company likes chucking stuff out, they practically emptied the massive equipment store a couple of years ago, it all went in 4 of the big ‘Biffa’ type bins, and none of us were allowed anything, we could have saved them a fortune on disposal costs! I occasionally have a look on eBay at these, but always manage to talk myself out of it!

Regards 

Lloyd 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2021 4:41 pm
Sundog
(@sundog)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

I have one of these. I bought it new - 18? years ago from Farnell. It was in the days when you would phone up to place an order. When I said I had a 25% off discount coupon the operator had to go and check with his manager that it was acceptable on such a large purchase - I think it was about £600 then, so a big discount, but it all went through. 

It was great purchase. No longer did I have to lug a Tek465 on the train and Underground to go to jobs!

It's not good at everything though. I keep a Tek2245A ( a CRT scope) for some other work.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2021 9:20 pm