Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Testing Test card for YouTube streaming

WayneD
(@wayned)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Seeing as more and more people seem to be streaming YouTube videos directly to their old TVs I've put together a test card specifically for optimising your TV with YouTube (and compensate for any dodgy converters) along with a 900Hz test tone. It's at 480p which is the highest YouTube will allow in "standard definition" and can be found here:

bjork screenshot

If you're wondering what the story is behind Bjork, it's a) so I can instantly spot it this test card in the wild and b) because someone always posts the video of Bjork taking a TV apart in any Facebook group about CRT TVs!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/11/2021 11:26 pm
jcdaze and crustytv liked
19Seventie
(@19seventie)

That looks great. It's fascinating that your CRT set is showing the bottom grating but my PC monitor (LCD) is showing it as a solid colour. Was it designed as such? I'll have to get it onto one or two of my sets at some point

'70

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2021 9:08 pm
WayneD liked
WayneD
(@wayned)
Posted by: @19seventie

That looks great. It's fascinating that your CRT set is showing the bottom grating but my PC monitor (LCD) is showing it as a solid colour. Was it designed as such? I'll have to get it onto one or two of my sets at some point

'70

Aha! I hadn't spotted that. I will say my CRT set is showing the original uncompressed file whereas the one on YouTube is compressed to 480p. Considering this is just a bog-standard 2000s Orion TV/DVD that's pretty good going! 

This is what the original file looks like zoomed in, also here's the original file. I'm not sure if you'll be able to see the bottom grating if this forum compresses files though.

EDIT: Yes, you can see the bottom grating!

20211201 163717
BBC Test bjork2

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/12/2021 5:42 pm