Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Hello from Rotherham

shaunhw
(@shaunhw)
New V-Ratter Registered

Hello,

I was looking around online and came across this site so I thought I would register as a member, and introduce myself.

I am an Ex Radio Rentals (Sheffield Branch) TV and video recorder service technician turned computer software developer leaving RR in the mid 1980s to pursue my new calling. I still keep in touch with old colleagues from the RR service unit which was at Handsworth in Sheffield.

I'm still into old technology - I was the proud owner of quite a few 405 line TV sets, along with a couple of standards converters (Domino and Aurora) which I still have.

Right now, since I moved house to one with far less room, I only have a Bush CTV 167 dual standard colour tv, and an old Bush TV62 in a bakelite cabinet. I gave the other sets away to members of another well known online vintage forum.

I'm also the owner of two valve KT88 based push pull stereo amplifiers made in China.

Regards to all.

Shaun. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/10/2020 3:56 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Welcome to the forum. I left the trade in around 80/81 to go fixing mini computers. I still have an interest in vintage radio TV but I don’t do any work on them. I refurbished some radios a few years ago and that satisfied my interest in using the soldering iron again.

Your knowledge will be a welcome addition to the forum, we are a friendly lot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/10/2020 4:38 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Welcome aboard Shaun, you're very welcome ? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/10/2020 5:04 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I was born in Rotherham and lived a little way east of there out towards the border with Nottinghamshire. We rented a Hitachi CEP-180 from Wigfalls when we lived there - in fact I don't remember hearing the name "Radio Rentals" until we moved to Cannock - and even then it's only because the shop was a bit of a landmark, as we were with Spectra. Later, though, after we'd switched to MultiBroadcast, they were taken over by RR and I can remember being sent with a rental payment. I also once acted as extra hands on a slightly fiddly repair to our Ferguson 37023 (or the equivalent MultiBroadcast badged version, probably) - our RR service man knew I was a bit of a geek.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/10/2020 1:25 pm
shaunhw
(@shaunhw)
New V-Ratter Registered

Thank  you everyone for making me feel welcome.

Regards to all here,

Shaun. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/11/2020 1:20 pm