Interesting Media Interesting Burglar alarm record

9 Posts
4 Users
10 Likes
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

I don't know if this is the best place to post this ? If not please move it accordingly.

I found this 78 RPM record years ago amongst a pile and recently came across it again. I don't know what date it would be it is recorded on a metal disc and the message repeats, it is the same on both sides. It must have come from a very early alarm system and as it asks to be connected presumably it was intended to 'phone the operator? I can't find out anything about Gibbard's in Leicester I think I am spelling it correctly? The address comes up on various sites for sale so at least it appears not to have been demolished. 

I have posted a clip on youtube here is a link.

Alarm record Gibbards Leicester. (youtube.com)

Rich

Posted : 24/03/2024 4:35 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

My youngest Uncle owned a burglar alarm company and I remember these records, but by then they were either 33 or 45 rpm, vinyl, and the units were in dark brown metal boxes. I was fascinated by them!

Posted : 24/03/2024 7:52 pm
ntscuser reacted
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)
Topic starter

It was covered on the secret life of machines see 16.40 

The Secret Life of the Telephone Remastered (youtube.com)

I wish I had the mechanism ! 

Posted : 24/03/2024 9:14 pm
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Reputable Member Registered

@slidertogrid I did a bit of research on Gibbards and found some aticles and adverts in The Leicester Mercury newspaper from 1964 and found it quite interesting. Gibbards was a radio and television dealer and they were located at 19, High Street, Leicester. They opened a retail shop at that address in March 1964 but don't seem to have had much luck as the shop was severly damaged by fire in October of that year. The fire started, at night, in a funiture shop next door. I couldn't find any more articles after that. The phone number on the burglar alarm record also matches the shop phone number.

Posted : 27/03/2024 9:33 am
Nuvistor and Cathovisor reacted
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)
Topic starter

@jcdaze That is interesting! I thought I had heard the name before.  I have a Invicta "Gay Cavalier" with a fairly bold patterned front that came from Neil in Newport many years ago. There was a discussion on the other forum about it years ago and I'm sure it was mentioned that that model was rented, maybe exclusively? by Gibbards. I couldn't remember if it was Gibbards or Goddards but your findings seem to have solved that question.  Shame about the fire I wonder how the record escaped? Is there any records of the shop reopening after the fire? You have been more successful than I was in your search I could only find mention of the shop address now, nothing from past years. 

The only mention I can find of the set now on the other forum is as follows.

In the 1960s there was a TV rental company called Gibbards. Rented out rebadged Pye TV sets. The firm had shops all over the country, there was one in Newcastle. Gibbards didn't last long before being taken over by another company.

From a topic in this forum dated 11 October 2012 "re: Earliest BBC2 Sets"
#14 Heatercathodeshort wrote: Hello Neil,
This receiver is the Invicta 7069 produced for Gibbard TV Rentals. It was marketed as 'The Gay Cavalier' in 1964/5. It employs the Pye 11U dual standard chassis. John.

@jcdaze Thanks for the information it makes the record more desirable to me now! 

Posted : 27/03/2024 12:48 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@slidertogrid Found this, Gibbard rentals, division of Pye Ltd.

http://www.pyemuseum.org/divisions/consumer/plrt_profile.php

Same info in this post from David.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/black-white-tvs/pye-model-24/

Frank

Posted : 27/03/2024 1:15 pm
slidertogrid reacted
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Reputable Member Registered

@slidertogrid It would seem it was indeed the same company and in one of the advertisements there is a picture of what is Pye television but branded as a "Brand new Gay Cavalier" I was searching for Gibbards but the company was Gibbard. They were Bristol based and funded by PYE. In 1966 there was a boardroom battle at Pye over the millions of pounds worth of goods and loans to Gibbard Rental company. Later that year 53 out of 140 shops were sold to Electronic Rentals and General Holdings. I will try and find out who thewy were and what happened to them later on.

Posted : 27/03/2024 1:23 pm
slidertogrid reacted
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)
Topic starter

I really must dig the Invicta Gay Cavalier out! It is under my bench with another row of sets behind it so it isn't a quick job. I didn't realise that it is 10 years since i got the set from Neil! I really must do something with it!  What a coincidence that I have the alarm record and one of the sets from Gibbard's !

Posted : 27/03/2024 2:39 pm
jcdaze reacted
Share: