Studio 2 Stereo; Break-Through

13 Posts
6 Users
30 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Isn't it fantastic that nowadays pretty much anything can be found online.

I was tidying up some of my late 60's early 70's audio equipment, one being the Rigonda Stereo my dad first bought. It prompted me to remember an album he got with it (long gone by now), I clearly remembered the title "Break-Through" and it's distinctive (to me) cover. A quick search on Youtube, low and behold there it was, Oh boy I'd not seen that album cover (Breaking the sound barrier) in over 50 years!!

Considered naff probably even back then but to my childhood nostalgia buds, it took me right back to those simpler care free days. Its amazing what one remembers, I would have been around 4. Think I even recall running around as a plane when the "Dam busters" "633 Squadron" theme came on, back then, not now, though that would be funny and convince the neighbours I'd gone lock-down crazy.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 16/04/2020 5:41 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

This type of record was used in the audio sale room in the 1970’s, mainly filled with Hacker and  Dynatron equipment. There were a few other makes, Rogers was one.

We had demonstration evenings in a local hotel, the Dynatron sales rep ran the demo, we set it up. Usually sold units on the night and sales followed in the next weeks.

Frank

Posted : 16/04/2020 6:13 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Goodness me, that takes me back. We had that LP also and I used it to dub the Dambusters theme on to the tape of the 1981 Sunderland airshow you see me recording below, also used a Compukit UK101 which I had built for title graphics. Still have the tape. 

Camera is a Ferguson 3V20 and VCR is a 3V24

movies (1)
IMG 00000065
IMG 00000067

Interesting footnote. That weekend the shop was broken into, they smashed through the wall from the next door and every VCR from the showroom and workshop was stolen.

John.

Posted : 16/04/2020 6:30 pm
Alex728, crustytv, Alex728 and 3 people reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Now, Cheesy Listening is another one of my hobbies.... ? 

IMG 5609 50
IMG 5608 50

I now feel safe in revealing my Manuel And The Music Of The Mountains collection....

IMG 5610 50

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 16/04/2020 7:47 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

But the master of "funky" mood music has to be The Harry Roche Constellation.

IMG 5613 50

Check this out....

Posted : 16/04/2020 8:11 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @pye625

Cheesy Listening is another one of my hobbies

#Metoo

recs

Posted : 16/04/2020 8:15 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Ah I see a couple of Deano LP's.... the king of cool ! ? 

Posted : 16/04/2020 8:27 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @jayceebee
You see me recording below

Forum 141

What a great action photo John, almost 40 years ago... "tempus fugit..." ? 
Shows what it took back then to take footage and not cheap either. Now every man and his dog has an HD movie camera in his/her pocket

p.s.
You had an impressive amount of hair then ? 

Posted : 16/04/2020 8:44 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

@jayceebee Hi Jon, I still have my Ferguson portable VCR and camera kit! Portable, if you happen to have King-Kong on hand to drag it about for you!

I know where it all is too, but it would take some digging out. I have the exact same camera and recorder as in your picture, and the "Tuner/Timer" that allows the recorder to function as a standard domestic VHS recorder. I should still have the carry case for it, and the carry handle. I may even still have the wired remote control that came with it.

A great piece of kit in its day, but put firmly in the shade by today's 4K/UHD DSLR that weighs only ounces, run all day on one charged battery, and can record a week's worth of video on a single SD-HC card. - How things have moved on!

I bought my kit in a Dixon's 'Special offer' at about £899.99 (supposedly about £1'299.99 if you bought the units separately - but why would you?). A three hour tape cost about £7.50 at that time, and I bought a cheap (Miranda) tripod to use with it. The only thing I didn't get, was a spare battery - what a dolt!

I recorded heaps of stuff 'off-air' and probably less than 15 hours of 'home' video. BUT, and it's a big BUT, I did get some genuine first hand video of Fred Dibnah and "Alison" and Alison, when they appeared at Bramham Park. Fred was a really nice fellow to talk to, and very eager to please, but I remember Alison saying "No, Fred, NO... You've just 'ad yer tea...". I had some video of my brother working on a Perkins diesel engine for his John Deere combined harvester, and an animated exchange between my mum's cats, just outside our back door. There was other material too, but these three stick in my mind more than most - no idea why.

And what do I use now? - A Nikon P-600 'Bridge Camera' and a Nikon Coolpix L-810 'Sub-Bridge'.

Would I use the Fergy again? - If it was for a special purpose/demonstration etc, otherwise? No, I very much doubt it.

Posted : 16/04/2020 8:56 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

The ravages of time eh! I used to be able a lift 26" consoles unaided as well. Wish I'd listened to the older hands at the time and accepted offers of assistance, not a lot of hair left now either. I only became aware of that photo just a few years ago and was shocked when I saw it, taken by a work colleague who sadly passed away last year.

Forgot to mention the video gear was borrowed from the shop over the weekend of the burglary. It had only been delivered along with around 30 normal VCRs the previous Tuesday.

The dubbed music was 633 Squadron and not Dambusters theme. Maybe I should upload the tape to YouTube for posterity, some footage of a Vulcan bomber and the wonderful noise those engines made.

PS. I have to let you into a secret, the curly hair was a perm ? ? ? ? 

John.

Posted : 16/04/2020 9:04 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

PS. I have to let you into a secret, the curly hair was a perm ? ? ? ?

Everyone was doing it, blame Kevin Keegan.

p.s.
I had an impressive mullett around 1985, but again almost everyone I knew did.

Maybe I should upload the tape to YouTube for posterity

You certainly should, many would enjoy it.

Posted : 16/04/2020 9:07 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

A big thanks for posting this Chris, I haven't heard my favourite track Poppa Yo Quero in a long long time ? 

John.

Posted : 16/04/2020 9:27 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Reputable Member Registered

Posted by: @crustytv

Considered naff probably even back then but to my childhood nostalgia buds, it took me right back to those simpler care free days. Its amazing what one remembers,

Hi Chris,

Thanks, conjures up 1970's cheese and wine parties, fondue, the JY prog on Radio 2 and even some tracks could easily be mistaken for test card music. Because this record seemed familiar I had a look around this morning and lo and behold found a copy in amongst items (still to be sorted) cleared from a deceased relatives estate.

This album was also marketed on the Music For Pleasure label which usually sold for about 10/- (50p)  

Some links to 45Worlds.

http://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/stwo1

http://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/mfp1334

Rich

Posted : 17/04/2020 10:53 am
Alex728, Alex728 and Alex728 reacted
Share: