Trip Down Memory Lane

17 Posts
6 Users
27 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Those of us of a certain age will perhaps appreciate this.... and no, its not a Bucks Fizz video. I was left all wistfully nostalgic.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 23/10/2020 2:07 pm
Alex728, Alex728 and Alex728 reacted
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

I regard myself as a child of the 60's (although I was born in the 50's) and still think it was the best decade for music and fashion (all those mini-skirts) but of course I remember all those things in the 70's and 80's from the clip as well. What I do remember about the 70's....at least to about 1976 or so is the great number of decent rock (and prog rock) bands around at the time from Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath to The Strawbs, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Renaissance to name just a handful. It was a time of great progression in the Hi Fi field as well with really excellent and affordable amplifiers and speakers available making the great music even better.

Posted : 23/10/2020 7:14 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I'm not actually on Face Book, and in all honesty, I didn't fancy wading through the reams of stuff you have to agree to, and to fill in, so I didn't actually see the video.

However, a bit like Rich, I was born in the '50s, in fact, I only had two years of the '50s and then we were into the next decade. For me, my best memories seem to hark back to the '70s. For those who know me, the '60s were a nightmare, blighted by an abusive teacher and a great deal of trauma.

Funnily enough, I've spent a tidy sum of money this year on compilation CDs of '60s and '70s music, even a few from the '80s, but I soon realised that once you get beyond about 1981/2 my interest in modern music waned rapidly. Also, in the same vein, our local supermarkets have begun their seasonal campaign of TV boxed set shows - I decided to bite the bullet, and grabbed up "The Goodies" and not long back, nabbed "The Good Life"! Not only does my 'modern' music taste seem to centre around the '70s, so does my taste in TV shows, of which I have a collection of a tidy few.

On the open road, as it were, I have an eclectic taste in music which, thanks to my parents, includes classical, military, cinematic, easy listening, country and western, folk and a whole lot more, but inside the shell as it were, it's '60's and '70s in the main, and I probably own enough to have my own "Lockdown Disco" which could comfortably run for at least 48 hours before I'd have to repeat a track. Seriously, even the car's CD changer has a set of six CDs "Totally '70s" which takes a bit over 6 hours to get through.

Those were in many ways, better times, and I have at times wished I'd been born maybe 20 to 30 years earlier, but then if I had, I probably wouldn't have survived some of the medical problems I've gone through over the years, but, you still can't beat those '60s and '70s holidays all over Scotland, The TV shows we had, the music we had, and even the trains we had - cars, perhaps not so much. Rusting and rotting death traps in most cases, though the styles were we beyond anything we'll ever see again. Times were certainly more carefree, and we didn't have "Big Bro" watching your every turn on the road, how long you've been parked, what you bought, and where from, or who bunged you a fiver for giving them a lift to town.

Posted : 23/10/2020 9:09 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @katie-bush

I'm not actually on Face Book, and in all honesty, I didn't fancy wading through the reams of stuff you have to agree to, and to fill in, so I didn't actually see the video.

I've now found it on YouTube so have edited the post above so all can see it.

Posted : 24/10/2020 7:15 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @crustytv

I'll be back to view that, many thanks for the heads up! But, just now, I'm off to spend an evening in the company of Big Clive, and the rest of the nutcases who follow his channel!

Posted : 24/10/2020 7:54 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Speaking of trips down memory lane - Who else remembers these "Public Information Films"?

Posted : 27/10/2020 9:27 pm
Alex728
(@alex728)
Estimable Member Registered

I remember a fair few of them, many were used as fillers after the toy and junk food adverts on kids TV into the early 1980s and even in the late 90s when I was working for a company which sold playout and control systems to Yorkshire/Tyne Tees we had a load of PIFs as well as intros/outros and random programme segments on Digibeta tapes for testing the systems.

ITV were very careful not to let go of any tape containing a full programme in broadcast quality to an outside company which had access to VTRs for fear it would get pirated, plus shorter content was quicker to use for system tests (although it didn't show up bugs where longer items timing drifted and all sorts of unwanted things happened with the automation!)

Posted : 28/10/2020 11:47 pm
Alex728
(@alex728)
Estimable Member Registered

I also remember this one, genuinely scary when it got shown on what became CITV in place of normal programmes as it looked like a 1970s kids show shot on 16mm film..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apaches_(film)

Posted : 29/10/2020 12:03 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Honorable Member Registered

Here's one from Australia, circa 1960. Mix of cars is interesting as is the choice of the 100E Ford Prefect to do the overtaking!

Posted : 29/10/2020 12:13 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)

And a more recent one, startlingly realistic - looks like actual dashcam footage.

Posted : 29/10/2020 12:26 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)

And one of the scariest, most controversial PIFs ever made:

It worked, though...

Posted : 29/10/2020 12:42 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

A few doors further down memory lane - At No 25 (of December, to be correct).

Who remembers these? And which celebrities do you recall?

One out of a series I've discovered.........

Posted : 29/10/2020 8:31 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I'll be back to view that, many thanks for the heads up! But, just now, I'm off to spend an evening in the company of Big Clive, and the rest of the nutcases who follow his channel!

I've finally seen the initial video - All I need now is a Spandau Ballet cassette, and a sharp razor!.

Speaking of better days, A friend of mine collapsed and died of a ruptured aneurysm on his brain on Monday of last week, an acquaintance (JCB operator) died only a few days before. My nextdoor neighbour has terminal cancer which has spread to his brain and leaves him with dementia like symptoms, and another friend has bone cancer which became inoperable during the CoViD-19 lockdown in Spring. She thought she would be fine after the initial diagnosis indicated it would be easily treatable with radio therapy. Neither has more than a few weeks to survive. If only it were that easy to turn back the days.

Paul

Ken

Brian

Glenda

Four good people - If only Lord, if only.

Posted : 29/10/2020 8:57 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

😥  No words are befitting ...

Posted : 29/10/2020 9:05 pm
Alex728, Cathovisor, Nuvistor and 9 people reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

😥  No words are befitting ...

Paul's funeral is on Thursday morning, 11:30am at Selby Abbey, CoViD-19 permitting, 30 people may attend, but he was a very popular man with quite a large family - I've elected to stay away.

Posted : 31/10/2020 10:45 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Moving on again, here's another blast from the past, and I remember some of these quite well.

Posted : 31/10/2020 10:47 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

There was a cheaper version of the Sinclair "Black Watch" called the "Grey Watch". There were definitely some QC issues with them: my first ate batteries, the second jumped 20 seconds at the count of 20 and the third one finally worked.

Very collectable now, as are many LED watches.

Posted : 01/11/2020 1:17 am
Share: