Tunes That Relax

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

After deciding to down tools on the tense, nervous headache inducing 9k6, there's only one tune that will return calmness. For those of a certain age, close your eyes and see all those interesting images submitted, Tony's occasional words of approval at some young persons creativity. Ahhhhhhhhh that's better.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 03/06/2018 9:03 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Ah yes....those distant day's of childhood and the safe world of children's television back then...

"And now, it's time for the gallery".

Ps Chris, I did say to have a break from the 9600....  ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 03/06/2018 10:32 am
Mikey66
(@mikey66)
Reputable Member Registered

Not so much relaxing in fact it's quite melancholic but I love the end credits tune from Mary, Mungo & Midge. I have it as my phone ringtone and every time I hear it I'm 5 years old again....

Best regards

Mike

Posted : 03/06/2018 11:09 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

One of the most beautiful works of British light music, composed in 1958 by Ronald Binge.

If a person cannot relax to this, they're either, on rocket fuel, or, had way too many coffees!

Though this is not the actually version, we had this played at my dad's funeral. It was one of what he referred to as his "floaty music" pieces. I can't find the actual version we had, on YouTube. It was magnificently rendered by a military band, though you would never have guessed it. The bass section was all military brass, and as ashamed as I am to admit I cannot remember, I will try to seek it out and see if I can upload to YouTube.

Posted : 03/06/2018 9:52 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Another piece of excellent British Light Classics.

Frank

Posted : 03/06/2018 11:03 pm
Boingy
(@boingy)
Estimable Member Registered

Well how about another classic?
Venus, The Bringer Of Peace, by Gustav Holst?

It's amazing what we now know about about that apparently serene planet... High speed winds, 150 Bar atmospheric pressure, acid rain, temperatures hot enough to melt lead, metal 'snow' on the mountain peaks and a day that's longer than the year. Makes you glad we were made on planet Earth, really, doesn't it?
Enjoy the music 🙂
All the best,
Tony

Standards are like toothbrushes. Everybody needs them, but nobody want to use yours!

Posted : 04/06/2018 12:48 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Another great piece of music Tony.

It may be my iPad but for some reason the YouTube link is not displaying but it’s there if I click on the space and it opens the link. Other YouTube links in the thread display correctly.

Anyone else see the this?

Frank

Posted : 04/06/2018 7:51 am
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered

I find Benny Goodman's rendering of "Moonglow" very relaxing. Perhaps in part because of its association with the very romantic scene of Howard Hughes and Kathrine Hepburn flying over the lights of LA in a Sikorsky S38 flyingboat in the film "Aviator".

Peter

Aviator11

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 04/06/2018 8:37 am
Boingy
(@boingy)

Can I be cheeky and suggest another tune?

How about the theme from the film Midnight Cowboy, by John Barry, with the late, great harmonica player, Toots Thielemans?

It fascinates me watching this maestro play. Where did his mind go to when he played his harmonica?

This clip is from "TopPop", the Dutch equivalent of the UK's "Top Of The Pops". The TopPop videos don't have DJs chattering all over them, which is nice!
Anyway I hope I wasn't being too bold putting up a 2nd tune 🙂

All the best,
Tony

Standards are like toothbrushes. Everybody needs them, but nobody want to use yours!

Posted : 04/06/2018 11:16 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

There are so many great pieces of music that can relax, bring back memories, make us feel happy etc. John Barry wrote many fine tunes.

Out if interest Tony, how are you including the YouTube clips, I still can’t see the ones you post, they are hidden although clicking on the area launches the YouTube clip.

I must try viewing it on another device.

Frank

Posted : 05/06/2018 6:56 am
Boingy
(@boingy)

Posted by: Nuvistor

There are so many great pieces of music that can relax, bring back memories, make us feel happy etc. John Barry wrote many fine tunes.

Out if interest Tony, how are you including the YouTube clips, I still can’t see the ones you post, they are hidden although clicking on the area launches the YouTube clip.

I must try viewing it on another device.

Hi Frank,

John Barry certainly had the 'knack' for a good tune.

With the links, I'm copying the URL into my clipboard, using the link tool and then pasting the URL into the top line of the dialog box.

I hope I'm doing it right. Those 2 tunes I posted up were put up with 2 different devices. 

All the best, 

Tony

Posted : 05/06/2018 7:19 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

It’s a quirk of the Safari browser, the iPad, ,iPhone and a Mac Safari browser all behave the same with hidden display of your links. Firefox works correctly, I don’t know if it affects just Apple browsers or any using WebKit, i.e Chrome.

I will try to check later today to see if Chrome is affected.

Its not a major problem, clicking on the area brings up the video.

Frank

Posted : 05/06/2018 8:25 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Speaking of Harmonicas, how about this?

"Ruby" (Title track from the film "Ruby Gentry") as performed by Les Baxter and his orchestra - been an old favourite of mine for many a year.

Posted : 06/06/2018 8:43 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: Katie Bush

One of the most beautiful works of British light music, composed in 1958 by Ronald Binge.

If a person cannot relax to this, they're either, on rocket fuel, or, had way too many coffees!

Though this is not the actually version, we had this played at my dad's funeral. It was one of what he referred to as his "floaty music" pieces. I can't find the actual version we had, on YouTube. It was magnificently rendered by a military band, though you would never have guessed it. The bass section was all military brass, and as ashamed as I am to admit I cannot remember, I will try to seek it out and see if I can upload to YouTube.

Stepping back a few posts.......

The version I referenced as at my dad's funeral was performed by "The Band of RAF Germany". I can't find it on line, but would be interested to know if anyone else can.

Posted : 06/06/2018 8:47 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

I always used to listen to this, sitting on the bathroom floor while waiting for the bath to fill, there was nothing more relaxing:

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 06/06/2018 10:24 pm
Boingy
(@boingy)

Posted by: Katie Bush
Stepping back a few posts.......

The version I referenced as at my dad's funeral was performed by "The Band of RAF Germany". I can't find it on line, but would be interested to know if anyone else can.

Hi Marion,

Perhaps you meant this recording?

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_band_of_the_royal_air_force_germany/a_european_excursion/

Looks like you can still buy it.

Hope this helps 🙂

Tony

Posted : 06/06/2018 11:02 pm
Share: