25 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

YouTube, Take Five

BBC2 Jazz 625 (1964)

The quartet is made up of Brubeck on piano, Paul Desmond on alto saxophone, Eugene Wright on bass, and Joe Morello on drums.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=02VlSqd401I

Frank

Posted : 29/03/2018 10:33 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: Katie Bush

Hi Mike,

The ones I bought, and may still have some of, were the sort of cheap dross that you could get from supermarkets and the like. They weren't top branded products, and had a quality almost reeking of something a group of teenage boys and girls might have churned out in spare room.

They certainly weren't made by Rank, nor any other self respecting record company I could think of.

I'm wrong. Rank had nothing to do with them - faulty memory!

Pye however, did distribute Top Six as opposed to Top 6 - see  http://hitcovers.weebly.com/history.html for more details of these records.

Posted : 30/03/2018 8:07 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

The first album I ever owned was Queen, The Works, it was bought for me one Christmas sometime in the early 90's, along with a Samsung CD boombox to play it on, and I still have both!

queen the works and samsung

After that I had all sorts of different music, none of which was what anyone else was listening to, whilst everyone else I knew at school was into all the god awful 90's pop crap, I'd found a radio station called Classic Gold, playing nothing modern at all! I loved it, got into The Beetles, Blondie, Led Zep.. All sorts! Everyone thought I was very odd... For some odd reason in the late 90's I got into that awful 'dance' music, probably because all my mates at school thought it was great, I soon got bored of all of it sounding the same! When I went to college in 2001 they were playing 'Nickelback, How you remind me' on the radio a fair bit, and I quite liked it, a complete change from what I'd been used to, so I went out one lunch time and bought the album 'Silver side up', absolutely loved it! This would be when my tastes began leaning more towards rock and metal, Helped along in 2003 when I heard songs by Evanescence and AFI, and both their albums took a lot of work to find them back then! I only found AFI's album 'Sing the sorrow' by accident when I walked into Virgin Megastore in Milton Keynes, and it just happened to be on a stand right in the doorway. It's still my most favourite album ever, just something about it makes me keep going back to it, and it never seems to age. My tastes these days range all over the place! Still loving the rock and metal, Amorphis, Insomnium are favourites at the moment, and also some Icelandic stuff by Solstafir, Within Temptation and Iron maiden... Then for a change I'll listen to 'First Aid Kit', I rather like their stuff. There's probably loads more I haven't mentioned there.

Regards,

Lloyd.

Posted : 30/03/2018 11:38 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

For something REALLY heavy, try Metallica's 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'. 

Out of interest, does anyone have a copy of Sweet's 'Sweet Fanny Adams'. I always thought Sweet were very underrated and outside their 'Glam Rock' image, they were actually quite heavy having been influenced by Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. I never bought any of their singles apart from 'Blockbuster' but discovered their heavier side quite by accident when in a record shop looking for something else. I asked one of the staff what was playing at the time and he said it was the title track 'Sweet FA' from Sweet Fanny Adams. I immediately bought it (the album) and only just recently replaced it with the CD version since the original vinyl had long gone (at a party).

Posted : 30/03/2018 4:38 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Ah yes! For whom the bell tolls is my favourite Metallica song! Sounds particularly good played through my big Sony speakers.. I have the album Ride the lighting 🙂

regards,

Lloyd

Posted : 30/03/2018 5:14 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: