Featured
Latest
An A.P.A Tuning Hac...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

An A.P.A Tuning Hactp.yc.m.kb (19 SET MK 2)

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
kalee99
(@kalee99)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

Never had much to do with military equipment but at an auction I attend I could not resist this Number 19 set. It was listed in the catalogue as "an A.P.A. tuning Hactp. yc.b.kb". No wonder there were no telephone bidders :aaj
The set looks like it is just out of storage as its packed in a waxed cardboard box and has a 12 volt PSU + various bits with it. All looks unused.
I have no idea of the worth of these sets other than what I have seen on Ebay. I think I got a bargain at £100 + buyers premium?
No documents with the set so downloading various information from the internet.
Keep me busy over winter?
Paul.

Do not let the Blue smoke escape!

Posted : 09/10/2014 12:12 am
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Honorable Member Registered

I wonder if that was the auction lister's interpretation of the Cyrillic characters on a set intended for WW2 Red Army use? :cch

Posted : 09/10/2014 12:38 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

Any pics?

Posted : 09/10/2014 1:00 am
kalee99
(@kalee99)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi,
Having got the set home and had a good look (only had a cursory view at the auction), the set has had some modifications done to it but I think I still did ok. Just more to keep me busy.
More photos as I get it unpacked.
Paul.

Do not let the Blue smoke escape!

Posted : 09/10/2014 2:28 am
Niall
(@niall)

Some 19 sets do have Cyrillic labelling, presumably they were intended for possible use by Russian forces.
I think if you check the prices on ebay you will find that you got a real bargain there.

Anything Larkspur and older seems to go for silly money these days, WW2 stuff is ridiculous. I stick to Clansman which is still available at "surplus" prices despite what some dealers seem to think!

Posted : 09/10/2014 6:32 pm
Spot-Wobble
(@spot-wobble)

I had one of these years ago.
I could get a complete package of:

1 x WD 19 Set (British or Russian) with or without 'B' set
RotaryConvertor
ATU
Carbon Mike
all mounted on a base board.
All for the princely sum of £3 (early 1970s.

I had a British one without the 'B' set and got another 'Russian' one complete with ('B' set which was FM and was 235 Mcs).
I remember once the 807 (PA) valve glowed blue and the choke in the anode circuit going up in flames!

Andy

Posted : 21/10/2014 7:24 pm
Niall
(@niall)

The B set was removed as part of a refurb programme as it was useless. It was intended for communication between vehicles on the battlefield and was replaced by the WS88 AFV, a modified version of the manpack WS88 adapted to connect to the WS19 intercom harness.

I once found a battered 19 set in the school CCF signals stores, eventually found or acquired the necessary ancillaries and set it up. The rotary converter started up then flames came out of one of the psu fuseholders. It was returned to the back of the stores.

Posted : 21/10/2014 9:22 pm
Share: