12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

...This time, Not my house!

I trawl through Rightmove and Zoopla a few times a week, to see what's about in my local area and compare my house to the market. (Basically proving im quids in!) I also regularly contact vendors asking about furniture, fireplaces etc.

The other day, I spotted a house about 100yds from my parents, on Rightmove. Lurking in the kitchen, Standing out like a sore thumb was this early 50s HMV Radiogram! 
Forum 142
Course me being me, I did some digging and found the guy on facebook who was selling the house. A quick message later, and the set was mine. We arranged on £25 and i'll be collecting it tomorrow! 

Forum 143

Bargain! - I'll be keeping you posted. No idea where im going to put it mind... oops...

Posted : 29/04/2017 10:23 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

That's late 40s, Jamie - model 1608 http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hismasters_1608.html

Word of warning though - those record changers are nasty...! You'll need a supply of Columbia '99' needles for that, easily available on eBay. 78 only, naturally.

They have one in the 1940s themed tea shop near one of my storage areas 🙂

Posted : 29/04/2017 10:38 pm
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Topic starter

Oooh, Nice thanks. I had an inkling it was late forties, but I based my assumption on age on the tabletop set of the era featuring the same buttons etc. (HMV 1117)

I don't think he deck will get much use anyway lol, and it's just as well by the sounds of it. 

Posted : 29/04/2017 10:44 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

On the contrary - when someone tells me something's nasty or never works, I view that as a challenge to prove them wrong! Done that a couple of times to people... grin_gif

Posted : 29/04/2017 10:54 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Well !  That's ingenuity if ever I saw it Jamie.... Has to be the lowest priced purchase via Rightmove   grin_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 29/04/2017 11:15 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Nice find, I never thought of Rightmove as a source of vintage stuff before!

Regards,

Lloyd.

Posted : 30/04/2017 1:12 am
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Topic starter

Well, Here it is. A local set, Complete with a players card packet and a joker inside plus a whole load of cobwebs.

No sign of fire, or capacitors going pop which is good. The cabinet isn't amazing, but worm free and pretty presentable given it's age. I cannot tell you how heavy this set truly is though, I have other stuff the same size and couldn't believe it when I tried to lift it! I reckon it's close to 150kg. The wood is over an inch thick, and that is an angled piece of iron/steel underneath!

Forum 144

Forum 145

Forum 146

Forum 147

Forum 148

Forum 149

Posted : 06/05/2017 10:29 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Did you really mean 150kg, Jamie? That's three bags of coal...!

It looks the part in that setting. Now you have to get it working wink

Posted : 06/05/2017 10:31 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Just thought I ought to mention that when I click on your photo's Jamie, I get a McAfee webAdvisor warning of "high risk".

Whether this is of any significance, I really don't know.  duno_gif

Posted : 06/05/2017 10:37 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

It looks a beauty! Not sure about the cob-webs though, they make me feel a little uneasy!!

No problems viewing the pictures here, that Mcafee webadvisor thing sounds like one of those annoying things that gets bundled in with flash player updates when you forget to untick the 'yes! please do install garbage on my PC!!' box.. You can tell I get very annoyed with software companies sneaking crap into my PC.... Microsoft put Windows 10 on my pc... I now plan to remove it with a hammer!

Regards,

Lloyd

Posted : 06/05/2017 10:57 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

The turntable could survive a nuclear war, it is built so well and solidly.

I restored the same deck in a smaller HMV gram for a friend who wanted to play 78's on the odd occasion. Trouble is, due to the type of stylus, the records would have a hard life.

Posted : 06/05/2017 11:11 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Lloyd said

That Mcafee webadvisor thing sounds like one of those annoying things that gets bundled in with flash player updates when you forget to untick the 'yes! please do install garbage on my PC!!' box.. You can tell I get very annoyed with software companies sneaking crap into my PC....
Regards,

Lloyd  

Agreed,

I fell foul of that one about a month ago - Well banjaxed my laptop, then to add insult to injury, I got duped into trialling AVG "Clean & Tune Up".... Mega big mistake - Ended up in a system restore................ Right back to September 2016!!!

Anyway, Jamie, that's one smart radiogram you have there, but do get the spiders out of it otherwise you'll wake with nightmares of tiny legs crawling about all over the bed!innocentOtherwise, it looks to be in good shape, inside and out.

Posted : 06/05/2017 11:11 pm
Share: