Another Superinduct...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Another Superinductance radio.

Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Picked this one up in a junk shop in Gateshead some ten years or more ago. The set is a Philips 274A another in the range of Superinductance models, except this one isn't.
The poor thing has been well and truly got at. The Superinductance coils have been removed and someone had rewired the set as a TRF using PHF2 coils. Three of the five pin valve holders have been replaced with seven pin ones. This set is going to have to wait but someday I intend to rebuild it to a similar manner as the original. At least the output and power supply stages are almost in the original state.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_su ... a_274.html
I've found a suitable two gang tuner for the set. The capacitance decreases when the shaft is turned clockwise.
It's quite an attractive looking set so it might well be worth the effort doing something with it.
It is all too evident that the attack on this set was done many years ago because the rubber insulated wire is perished.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/08/2013 12:20 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

So basically what they've done is rip the original guts out and build another radio on the chassis... :ccf :ccb :bbd .

Obviously done many years ago when it was regarded as 'just an old radio'.

Rich

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2013 12:39 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Just another old radio. That's right. Someone maybe wanted to try out those Denco or are they Wearite coils and the poor old Philips chassis was handy for the job.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/08/2013 12:52 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Any of us might have cheerfully done it in 1960s. If old enough to hold correct end of soldering iron then. It wasn't me, honest. I was however much better at taking stuff to bits than reassembling in 1966, which is about when I got my first soldering iron. Much better than those Philips EE set springs. It took me about a month to realise the springs, clips and wires very unreliable connection in my kit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2013 1:09 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

More pictures of the unfortunate Philips.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/09/2013 7:46 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

I've won on eBay the correct on-off switch and volume control for this set. Also, a pair of LW/MW coils.
The potentiometer varies the bias to the first RF amplifier valve, a vari-mu type MM4V, a difficult to find valve, the more common Mazda AC/SG/VM has similar characteristics.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/12/2013 8:00 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Here's mine. This is what it's supposed to look like.

Rich

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2013 11:15 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Last post about this set was in 2013.   I've given up with the idea of rebuilding the 274A chassis. Instead, a rather special Philips chassis has been found to go into the cabinet.  It's a chassis from a Philips 33A TRF receiver, made in Poland.  The receiver is a three pentode TRF with reaction control. Long and medium waveband reception.    From the Radiomuseum:  33A Radio Philips - Polskie Zaklady Philips, build (radiomuseum.org)

The 33A chassis will fit inside the 274A cabinet. The dimensions of the UK made cabinet are almost the same as the Polish made set.  The position of the front controls is different but shouldn't cause any problems. So far I've found the chassis will have to be raised up by 5mm so that the tuning scale can be fully seen.

A new back cover will be made for the set.

Attachment shows a capacitor fitted after WWII to replace one of the HT electrolytics. It's perfect so it should remain in the the set.

Philips 33A Bosch Capacitor

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/11/2021 12:26 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Pictures of the Philips 33A chassis.

philips 33A Chassis 2
philips 33A Chassis

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/12/2021 11:52 am
ntscuser and Nuvistor liked
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

The underside of the chassis.

Philips 33A Under Chassis

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/12/2021 2:03 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

@till 

Its rather compact underneath the chassis, I don’t think I could work on that these days.

Following along with the rebuild.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2021 4:07 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Frank, I'm told there is a possibility the chassis is in working order. But there's no doubt this is not an easy receiver to work on.

The circuit diagram reveals this should be quite a selective receiver. Two bandpass tuning circuits before the RF amplifier and reaction to reduce the damping caused by the leaky grid detector.   The circuit is quite different from the West European "Super Inductance" receivers such as the model 274A.

Philips 33A cct

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/12/2021 5:06 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Just thinking, it seems a shame to carve up the 274A cabinet to house the 33A chassis. Much better keep the cabinet as it is now and find more bits to complete the reconstruction of the 274A chassis.

Philips 274A

Instead, a new cabinet should be made to house the 33A chassis. The tuning scale escutcheon should not be a problem now that 3D printing is in common use for the reproduction of unobtainable components. 

Philips 274A (2)

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/12/2021 12:15 pm
Lloyd liked
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

if the tuning dial escutcheon is the same on both sets then you could probably remove it from the one you have and make a silicone mould of it and cast a new one from resin, might be easier than 3D printing it!

Regards,

Lloyd 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2021 12:33 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Lloyd, looking at the picture of the Philips 33A cabinet on the Radiomuseum it's safe to say the escutcheon is the same shape as the one on the UK made 274A.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/12/2021 12:51 pm