Radio Bush RG 34

55 Posts
7 Users
66 Likes
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Honorable Member Registered

@jonwarby 

You mean you have replaced with all new  valves before you have sorted the other components out?

Not a good idea at all.

Boater Sam

Posted : 16/09/2021 3:33 pm
jonwarby
(@jonwarby)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter

@boater-sam 

Posted by: @boater-sam

You mean you have replaced with all new  valves before you have sorted the other components out?

I've just replaced the single valve that had the discoloration around the metal casing.  I've not powered it up yet.  Next job is to replace some of the caps.  Keep trying to get the time to do but have struggled.  I've got the day off tomorrow so going to work through them. 

Posted : 16/09/2021 6:43 pm
jonwarby
(@jonwarby)
Topic starter

I would just like to add a massive thank you for all the kind help and support so far.

The response has been amazing and I wouldn't have been able to get this far without it.

I've finished the first round.  Most of the caps are done now.  The 1000V caps aren't done as I made a mistake by a factor of 10x in the conversion so I need to re-order those.  I also haven't replaced the 50+50uf cap yet either.  I took it out of the circuit and tested and it was close enough.  Knowing that I was going to have to go back in I've moved that to the next phase.  

I've just finished the first test and after a brief scare due to one loose connection where I was getting no sound it's now fully working and it sounds great.  A lot more volume and a lot more bass.

I'm going to limit using it until I get the next phase done which will probably be next weekend now. 

Once that's done I can start to focus on making it look good again.

Posted : 18/09/2021 1:23 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@jonwarby 

Errr... am I imagining it, or are you playing that 45rpm record with a 78 stylus?! The head looks to have a green engraving on the top. The radius of a 78 stylus is too wide for a microgroove record and Acos heads used to add weight as well.

Mind you, I'm amazed it still works...

Posted : 18/09/2021 4:10 pm
Katie Bush, PYE625, Katie Bush and 3 people reacted
jonwarby
(@jonwarby)
Topic starter

Posted by: @cathovisor

@jonwarby 

Errr... am I imagining it, or are you playing that 45rpm record with a 78 stylus?! The head looks to have a green engraving on the top. The radius of a 78 stylus is too wide for a microgroove record and Acos heads used to add weight as well.

Mind you, I'm amazed it still works...

The stylus that is in it at the moment is the green one on the left in this image. 

Acos, crystal pick-up head HGP 39-1 STD

stylus

Posted : 18/09/2021 5:10 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

The green printed one marked "STD" is strictly for 78rpm records only. It's use on 45's or LP's will ruin them. You need a red one marked "LP" for anything other than 78's.

STD is an abbreviation for standard, which 78 rpm records were of course prior to 45/33 rpm microgroove records. Apologies if you know this already. 😉 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 18/09/2021 5:55 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Well done though Jon thus far, you have done an excellent job. This is a lovely radiogram and well worth the effort.

In time, you might like to replace the rubber grommets that support the tuning gang. I can see it is not level and almost always the old rubber grommets have perished.

The record deck is working very well !  Get yourself some period 78's to play and you can travel back to a golden age musically. (I don't think Shakin' Stevens is quite the done thing you know....😊)

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 18/09/2021 6:44 pm
jonwarby
(@jonwarby)
Topic starter

Posted by: @pye625

The green printed one marked "STD" is strictly for 78rpm records only. It's use on 45's or LP's will ruin them. You need a red one marked "LP" for anything other than 78's.

STD is an abbreviation for standard, which 78 rpm records were of course prior to 45/33 rpm microgroove records. Apologies if you know this already. 😉 

I didn't know, thank you.  I do have a red one but I've never been able to get it to fit.  I have managed to find a GP19 that's marked as 33 so I have swapped it for that one.

Posted : 19/09/2021 11:29 pm
jonwarby
(@jonwarby)
Topic starter

In time, you might like to replace the rubber grommets that support the tuning gang. I can see it is not level and almost always the old rubber grommets have perished.

Is the turning gang the wheel that drives the deck?  

The record deck is working very well !  Get yourself some period 78's to play and you can travel back to a golden age musically. (I don't think Shakin' Stevens is quite the done thing you know....😊)

It's definitely getting there.  One more round of caps to replace and then hopefully I can do something about the wood on the top which is quite scratched and worn.

Building up a collection of 45s from various places that need a good sort out.  Some of the records are filthy.  Not got any 78s yet.  Will enjoy listening to them all and sorting them out.  Limiting use at the moment until the electronics work is done.

Just been reading up about Gerard having a factory in Swindon until the fire in 58 so there is a good chance the record player was made here in Swindon which is nice to know.

Posted : 19/09/2021 11:45 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@jonwarby

No, the "tuning gang" is what tunes the radio. It's the assembly made up of metal vanes that mesh, but do not touch each other.

If you look back in the photos you posted on the first page it's very obvious - it has a large pulley attached to it that drives the tuning pointer. 

Posted : 20/09/2021 8:06 am
jonwarby
(@jonwarby)
Topic starter

Ahh sorry, I read that as turning and not tuning. I'll have a good look at it when I take it out next to do the final caps and take some close up pictures of the vanes.  I have tried the radio with a bit of wire as an Aerial but only a few faint stations so far 

Posted : 20/09/2021 10:13 am
jonwarby
(@jonwarby)
Topic starter

All the caps are now replaced.  Got a little sidetracked as I picked up a jukebox at the weekend and have been working on that but determined to get this one finished.  

Will start doing a bit of reading about what others have done with theirs now and what areas people tend to focus on.  The audio wiring seems to be an obvious start as it's looking past it's best and brittle.

Also need to start looking at wood restoration techniques.  I dont want to do anything drastic as the cabinet is in good shape.  It's just the top that has lost some of the lacquer

Really nice to be able to start to enjoying it now.

Posted : 28/09/2021 10:52 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @jonwarby
Posted by: @cathovisor

That'll be fine dust that's been deposited by convection currents that the hot valve has created.

ahh that's good.  I thought it was strange that it was just around a single valve.  I'll keep the one I took out as a spare then.

Or better still, put the original one back in, at least until all the repair and testing work is done, unless it proves to be that the valve is defective.

Although there is no immediate shortage of most of the common valves (take EF80 as an example), it should be borne in mind that there is no one manufacturing new ones today, so it's best to eke out as much life as possible from what we have available (take the once common tuning indicator, which has a comparatively short working life).

Indeed there are Russian and Chinese valve makers, but these are aimed more toward the quasi-audiophile market. They're not generally in the mainstream of the restorer.

Posted : 29/09/2021 7:46 pm
jonwarby
(@jonwarby)
Topic starter

Finished most of the jobs now. Almost in it's final place.  Just need to shuffle things round a bit to create a bit more space.

r1
r2

Really appreciate everyone's help in getting it to this stage.

Would like to focus on sound next.  It would be interesting to have expectations set.  Am I ever going to get a really good sound from it or it is what it is.  What have others done to theirs to improve sound quality without sacrificing authenticity too much

r3

This is the next project to work on.

Posted : 08/10/2021 2:20 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@jonwarby 

Now what is good sound, the radio gram should sound extremely pleasant to listen to.

It looks really good.

Frank

Posted : 08/10/2021 2:49 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: