Bush DAC 90A Auto Transformer

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Bobhowe
(@bobhowe)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi got a nice Bush DAC 90A radio of Chris ( Crusty TV ) early this year & want to use it in spain but the set runs hot with the dropper resistor fitted as standard there is two options 1 is a a capacitive dropper or 2 an auto transformer i have been to see Ed Dinning today & got an auto transformer that he has wound it is made to Ed design & very high standard ( HE HAS A FEW MADE ) & if any one wants one pm him . This mod does not make the set have a isolated chassis but it will run cool & it has a proper 6.3v tap for the dial lamps & will be reliable will post some more info when it is working :bba

Posted : 25/05/2015 8:23 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

It also won't make it any more reliable.....I restored mine 10 years ago and it's still working without any faults...used at least once a week. It's something of a fallacy that AC/DC sets are unreliable.

Posted : 22/07/2015 6:49 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I think the sheer number of surviving DAC90As and other Bush sets that use AC/DC technique even though they're AC-only prove there's nothing wrong with the principle of DC/AC operation. Also the number of them still occasionally found with the BBC frequency changes stickers on them dating from 1978, indicating they were in regular enough use back then to warrant their application to the set - by which time the youngest a 90A would be is nineteen, the oldest twenty eight!

The dropper on a 90A dissipates around fifteen watts on a 250V supply, whilst the 90 dissipates thirty-two or so.

Posted : 22/07/2015 7:11 pm
Share: