Notifications
Clear all

Bush VHF 64

jSumner
(@jsumner)
Member Deactivated Account

Hi I'm new to this forum and would like to re thread the tuning cable on my Bush VHF 64. There are various options in terms of thread thickness available on EBay, I wondered if anyone knew the correct thickness

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/12/2020 4:36 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Is the original cord still on the radio, if so use that as a guide. Various types have been used as replacement. One suggestion was fishing twine, take an old piece of the cord to a fishing tackle shop and see if there is something of use. It must not be slippy or stretch whatever you get.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2020 5:00 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)

I just did a search on ebay "tuning drive cord" and there is a choice of 1mm or 0.6mm thickness of drive cord available in 3m lengths.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2020 5:52 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Without digging out my own VHF64 to check, I'd go for the thinner of the two cords suggested by @pye625 - the thick cord is more suitable for things like pre-war EMI sets.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2020 5:54 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)

Yes, the 0.6mm will be the one to go for. Meant to say so above.... sorry lol.

Without wanting to state the obvious, if it were me, I would like to consult an illustration of the layout of the drive cord in the relevant service data. It could save you from a cat's cradle headache. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2020 6:05 pm
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

I buy Chinese bead cord, its about 0.6mm, available in colours and white, and very inexpensive for a full reel.

It grips well, stretches very little. Lots available on ebay

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2020 6:52 pm
jSumner
(@jsumner)
Member Deactivated Account

Thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated. I'll go for the .6mm The cord is still on but broken and has slipped off the pulley wheels and I do have a diagram downloaded from a Vintage radio website so It shouldn't be a problem to replace......famous last words!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/12/2020 4:17 pm