Share:
Notifications
Clear all

ecko u834

Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

just arrived, £25 including postage. i had one years ago and this one was cheep and looked in good condition lacking knobs and i dont like the fuses the band switch is seized
rob t

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/09/2011 2:42 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Looks like the one knob is not correct either, perhaps 60oldjohn can help memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=81

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2011 2:54 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

Nice, and no mains transformer to rattle its laminations at you.

I saw one go for fifty quid a few weeks ago.

- Joe

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/09/2011 4:08 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

you are right the one knob is incorect i have found 3 and one that almost matches.
apart from the fact that someone has added a headphone socket the set looks in remarkable condition even the bright ware looks like new i have yet to remove the chassis so dont know what horrors lurk underneth.
rob t

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/09/2011 1:35 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I have one of these sets. They perform very well. Should be a straightforward restoration. :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/09/2011 10:55 am
Electrical
(@electrical)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Please find attached a PDF copy of the service data for the Ekco Mariner U834 AC/DC radio, in the Library.
ERT Service Chart 1598.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=608

Regards Stan.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/09/2011 5:17 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

thanks stan have a look at the value of r24 trader sheet shows same value must be wrong or am i going nuts?
rob t

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/10/2011 1:32 am
Electrical
(@electrical)

Hello Rob
I must agree the values of the dropper sections are not correct. I had a look at similar models of Pye receivers using the same chassis, although using 40 series valves; the circuits are almost identical with more suitable values for the dropper sections.
I have put PDF copies of the similar Pye models P93U (1953), 445U (1960) and 1101-3017 (1963) in the lidrary. It seems strange that the same chassis was used for over fifteen years up to the Ekco U834 in 1967. My U834 has a UY85 valve rectifier and the ERT sheet shows it as a metal rectifier MR1, so there will be differences in the values of the dropper sections if a metal rectifier is fitted.
Regards Stan.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=610

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2011 2:53 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

ok all working now 4 caps replaced valve 2 holder cleaned,wave change switch un sized with 3 in 1 oil and contacts cleaned with servosol ditto contacts on tone control
mains wire hard wired to fuses and plug pins disconected
mains switch feels a bit iffy but too scared to touch it
works well on all bands with 3 foot of wire
volume a bit low but output valve only 60% emision
still need correct knobs
rob t

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/10/2011 9:34 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

apart from the fact that someone has added a headphone socket

...to an AC/DC set?? Ye gods! I hope it's on the secondary side of the output transformer and not in any way connected to chassis! Even so its a bit dodgy especially if there is negative feedback on the set as there will be a chassis return.....

It sometimes amazes me that people have survived at all when things like this are done.

I'll bet they didn't use a separate 1:1 isolating transformer for the headphones?

SB

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2011 3:48 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

ah you mean the headphone socket it was conected to the external speaker socket its now disconected
rob t

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/10/2011 7:11 pm
coerl21
(@coerl21)
New V-Ratter Registered

@electrical Hi Could I ask a favour? Would you provide me with a high resolution "map of the world" from the Mariner?  I have one but the map is in very poor condition.  I hope I can get a blow-up of your map.  THanks Paul

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2021 2:39 pm
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @anonymous

you are right the one knob is incorect i have found 3 and one that almost matches.
apart from the fact that someone has added a headphone socket the set looks in remarkable condition even the bright ware looks like new i have yet to remove the chassis so dont know what horrors lurk underneth.
rob t

Headphones on an AC/DC set? Is the last owner still alive?  Not a good idea methinks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2021 7:56 pm
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

I never cease to be gobsmacked (and my blood chilled) at what has been done to various items of vintage electronics by the "brilliance trumps wisdom" gang in their apparent craving to turn them into death-traps- but I can just about see a motive here. I've heard this set described as a "mariner's radio"- if it was actually used by a seaman in an single-wire + hull metalwork supply situation in a shared cabin, then they might have wished to have private listening without disturbing someone on the opposite watch. Let loose on land, it is asking for big trouble!

The Eddystone 670A here (also described and originally intended as "seaman's radio" with "universal"-type PSU) has a loudspeaker screwed to outer case metalwork, but driven from an output transformer whose primary is part of the floating inner chassis circuit- if there was a primary-secondary insulation failure in the little old output transformer, then the loudspeaker is expected to isolate the metalwork from mains, which seems like quite a big ask to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2021 11:42 pm
Alex728 liked
Alex728
(@alex728)

@turretslug looking at the schematic it seems the same arrangement is used in this set (I did wonder about how they made the external loudspeaker connection safe to start with).

I've never been to sea and my friends who do now all have access to satellite internet with wifi and all sorts else on board for entertainment (they could even listen to online radio as well as terrestrial linear broadcasters), was it normal then to have single wire supplies at 100-200+ volts? I guess though with the hull being earthed it was relatively safe...

https://nvhrbiblio.nl/schema/Ekco_U834.pdf

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2021 1:33 am
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Apparently, there was a case in the 1950s of a child who was electrocuted when they touched a metal loudspeaker trim of a TV set, the cause being an over-long loudspeaker securing screw whose tip contacted the trim, and after that things were greatly tightened up as regards electrical safety standards. I don't know if that particular speaker was of the type where one side of the speech coil is connected to the support basket anyway with one side of the output transformer secondary winding connected to chassis for feedback referencing purposes etc. but anyone who's ever dismantled a speaker (intentionally or unintentionally...) knows that the clearance between voice-coil and pole-piece is necessarily minimal and not something I'd like to trust for mains isolation. Nor do I know if any speaker manufacturer ever qualified any of their products for this degree of isolation, but there seemed to be a fairly casual attitude towards mains clearances and insulation provision generally.

It seems that various radio manufacturers had noticed that AA5s were often acquired by merchant seamen for use on board ships of the era with 110VDC systems but that these sets lacked the extra supply filtering needed with noisy ships' supplies and didn't always work well with the inevitably compromised aerial set-ups, such as a few feet of wire dangled out of a port-hole- maybe both Pye and Eddystone were looking to exploit this market with sets that then found a wider market on land. I imagine that the 4 valve Pye sets would have been rather better suited to a seaman's pay-packet than sturdy but expensive Eddystones though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2021 7:34 pm
Alex728 liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

My next door neighbour, second engineer, had the Pye set in his cabin. He was very happy with it.

Used it at home for a while when he retired.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2021 11:44 pm
Alex728 liked