29 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
kalee99
(@kalee99)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

I had a call today from someone I had not heard from for years, My local Scavanger (Licence holder for removing items from the tip). He brought a very dirty Ekco A22 to the door :bba I paid him double what I normaly pay for 'woodies', and he was very happy with that. It is not cracked or chipped anywhere but is missing its two outermost knobs. I think I have some in my spares box.

Inside is un touched and full of dust. I will post photos when I get the camera charged up. I never in a million years though anyone would take a round Ekco of any kind to the tip. Just goes to show that stuff still turns up and not everyone knows its true worth.

Paul.

Do not let the Blue smoke escape!

Posted : 23/03/2016 5:58 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I cannot think of a more deserving owner :aad Congratulations, you lucky man!

In the modern vernacular - "pics or it didn't happen" :qq1

Posted : 23/03/2016 6:51 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

You lucky little so and so :)
Well done in deed :aad
Something I've always wanted too and your story proves there is still hope albeit slim. :aaq

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 23/03/2016 7:10 pm
kalee99
(@kalee99)
Topic starter

Photos as requested
Paul

Posted : 23/03/2016 7:17 pm
Kalee20
(@kalee20)
Reputable Member Registered

Wow! You jammy git!!

Looks a good unspoiled candidate for restoring to its former glory. Have lots of fun!

Posted : 23/03/2016 7:56 pm
Westcliff
(@westcliff)

Great score Paul. That'll come up lovely.

Gus.

Posted : 23/03/2016 9:13 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Well, I never expected to discover a "Mr Hartley" in our midst!

Some people come up smelling of roses - you come up smothered in jam! - Nice find. :aad

Marion

Posted : 24/03/2016 12:32 am
kalee99
(@kalee99)
Topic starter

Hi all,
Thanks for the good comments. I will be doing a full restoration on the set and will do updates & photos as I go. It will take me quite a while as I want to spend some time on it and do a good job.
Close inspection of the cabinet shows no cracks or chips, only lots of surface dirt and splashes of emusion paint (Why do all old radios have paint splashes)?
First job will test the valves which look all origional.
Paul.

Posted : 24/03/2016 7:29 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Very nice indeed!! You bagged a beauty there! I'd love to get my hands on a black and chrome A22, I settled for a brown one at last years NVCF for £400, which seemed a good price at the time, they were fetching a bit more than that on eBay. I have a black and chrome AC76 with a damaged cabinet that I have been restoring since 2010!

They are a nice design, I particularly like the chassis layout in these, all the components around the edge, makes them easy to get to! I seem to remember they use the same speaker as the DAC90, as I also have a chassis without case which had a rusty speaker, so I took it off and refurbished it.

Is that just dirt on the front of the dial, or has the white paint started to flake off the back? I saw someone selling replacement dials for these on eBay a while ago, I was going to replace the dial on mine as it's got a crack in it, don't know if they are still available. I think they were about £40.

Good luck with the restoration!

Lloyd.

Posted : 24/03/2016 6:59 pm
kalee99
(@kalee99)
Topic starter

Hi,
yes the white background paint is flaking off but I have indeed bought a new dial from the seller you mention.
Removing the dial from the bezle was a sods job. I have heard of this before. The bezle and dial are fitted to a spider made of mazak (monkey metal). In this case the monkey metal is not the problem as the set scews pass straight through this and are screwed into small tapped fittings in the bezel. for some reason these 5 very small screws can be found to be set fast and will not move. I was prepared for this and used a tiny 'easy out', to remove the stubborn devils :aah
New screws all ready to go in as soon as the dial arrives.
Paul.

Posted : 24/03/2016 7:18 pm
kalee99
(@kalee99)
Topic starter

Hi all,
been busy making new knobs for this set as their were only two present and one was Brown instead of black.
Bought a molding kit form Ebay which has turned out to way better than expected. The Silicone rubber used to make the molds is very good and once you have a mold of a good knob then you can use that mold many times to cast new knobs.
It was all so simple to do and I am well pleased with the results.
Can anyone tell which is the real Ekco knob & which is the copy on my photos?
No prize for guessing right.

Paul.

Posted : 30/03/2016 2:53 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Paul,

Those knobs look superb, that's a brilliant molding kit.
I'm guessing the left hand one is original but some how the new ones seem to look better !

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 30/03/2016 3:02 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

... Bought a molding kit form Ebay which has turned out to way better than expected ... 

Can anyone tell which is the real Ekco knob ...?

Aren't you going to tell us the details of the kit?

Left ...

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 30/03/2016 6:39 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

They look pretty good!

I have some mould making stuff, it turns into a sort of pink sillicone and captures fine detail brilliantly. I still need to get a good type of resin to actually make the replacement knobs out of, I was using 'Davids Fastglass' resin available from Halfords for use with fiberglass matting, but found I could make fairly reasonable knobs with it, only problem was shrinkage and trying to colour it. I didn't have the correct pigments to colour it so used some model making paints, and also tried adding a drop or two of some black dyed French polish, which although it coloured it perfectly, it left it sticky to the touch.

Regards,
Lloyd

Posted : 30/03/2016 8:00 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I didn't have the correct pigments to colour it so used some model making paints, and also tried adding a drop or two of some black dyed French polish, which although it coloured it perfectly, it left it sticky to the touch.

Many years ago (probably about 25 years in fact, and the project it was for has still yet to be started :ccg ) I spoke to the makers of Isopon, when they were in Leicester about this very subject. The answer is that you need dyes for polyester resin: it's how boats get coloured!

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/resi ... ur-pigment

Posted : 30/03/2016 8:22 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

A lucky find with the radio, and the knobs look superb, good enough to fool me.

When I was building my boat I found polyester resin, the type used on boats and cars to be very brittle when set with no glass mat to add strength, and liable to crack easily. I am not sure it would withstand the forces of turning a wave change switch.
I believe that polyurethane Casting Resin is better quality but I have never tried it. I keep meaning to get around to giving it a try.

Mike

Posted : 30/03/2016 10:14 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

I'll have to get some of that! I was meaning to get some proper pigment, but I was being a cheapskate as usual.. :cch

It's about time I got back to restoring something bakelite, and with valves in it..

Regards,
Lloyd.

Posted : 30/03/2016 10:22 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

When I was building my boat I found polyester resin, the type used on boats and cars to be very brittle when set with no glass mat to add strength, and liable to crack easily. I am not sure it would withstand the forces of turning a wave change switch.
I believe that polyurethane Casting Resin is better quality but I have never tried it. I keep meaning to get around to giving it a try.

Here you go, Mike.
The resin: http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/resi ... resin.html
The pigment: http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/resi ... resin.html
The filler powder: http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/resi ... esins.html

Gotta be worth a go?

Posted : 30/03/2016 10:39 pm
kalee99
(@kalee99)
Topic starter

Hi all,

Progress so far. Tested valves and ECH35 was hardly moving the tester pointer. so dug a spare out. All other valves tested up to 90% good including the EBL 31.
Changed all wax capacitors and the electrolytics. Run up on Variac over 10 minutes. Radio 5 live blasting in loud & clear.
So its just some rotted wiring to replace, a good clean up, alignment and re assembly.
Photos to follow soon.

Paul.

Posted : 02/04/2016 1:06 pm
Stitch
(@stitch)
Reputable Member Registered

What a great find Paul, makes you wonder just how much does end up in the skip 🙁

Can you post the link to the molding kit you used?

Thanks

John

valveradios.com

Posted : 02/04/2016 4:37 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: