Fullotone radio

17 Posts
7 Users
24 Likes
DuncanLeece
(@duncanleece)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter

Despite my resolutions to stick to collecting handsome pre-war sets, I can’t help myself ridding the north of Scotland of radio oddities, and clustering them all together under my care! So you have seen my Allander and McCarthy sets in previous posts, and here is another (circa 1950?) which just made the trip north to Banffshire from Aberdeen, thanks to eBay. I have polished it up and got it working after replacing caps. , and would really like to know what others make of it?

My knowledge of Fullotone is as a decent 1920s maker of gramophones, who converted to radios when the clockwork era finished. I have a sketchy memory that they moved here to Scotland (Glasgow?.....Trevor will know) and targeted the Scottish rental/mail-order market with their sets? I have only ever seen the Fullotone name on those wee Bakelite sets of the type also sold under the Derwent and JG Graves brands, both of which companies I think sold in a similar manner in England? But please tell me if I am wrong.

My set is a different beast entirely, and the chassis is plainly designed for radiogram use, having both a gram socked and a 240v mains power outlet (left-hand socked on the back of the chassis, run from the set’s mains switch). The general proportions of the big glass dial say ‘radiogram’ to me too. It is a pretty conventional bit of kit, save for the fact that there are no attachment points under the chassis, and it just slides into wooden slots in the cabinet. I think it was intended to be vertical, and probably ‘front to back’ mounted too, hence the duplication of sockets on the side, which would have faced backwards when mounted as I describe.

This is a big, heavy set, and the radio cabinet is well made and nicely veneered. But I think it has odd proportions and if you look at the speaker slots, they are all odd sizes and shapes, i.e. I am sure they are hand-cut not machined. Hard to see in the photo.

So is this a made-up job by a talented amateur? If so, has anyone ever seen the radiogram it may have originally been? Or did Fullotone just make it in very small numbers as a radio and have it hand-built themselves, re-badging another maker’s chassis?

Valves are: AZ31, 7S7, 7B7, 7C6, 6V6GT, and the Lectrona speaker is nice quality. Another oddity was the original-looking cloth-covered mains cable, which was just two-core, with a black wire going to Pos. on the mains switch, and a green/black striped wire going to Neg. A new one on me.

Made-up kit of parts, or a rare set? I would love to know which you think it is.
Kind regards
Duncan

dl1
dl2
dl3
dl4
dl5

Posted : 02/05/2013 5:01 pm
PYE625, Cliff, PYE625 and 3 people reacted
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Most older Radiograms used Radio Chassis, but I know what you mean.

I like it.

Posted : 02/05/2013 5:52 pm
boyblue
(@boyblue)

Brings back memories Duncan. I didnt realise Fullotone was Glasgow, I bought a very similar one at a church jumble sale about 1963, simlar style to yours i.e. large speaker to one side. Mine had 6K8, 6K7 6XXX 6J5 and 2 6V6s push pull. I used it to record radio luxembourg to a Murphy TR1 tape recorder. The 6J5 triode had a 0.5 mf cathode bypass cap, I lifted the earth end and used it as a cathode follower to feed the TR1, I thought I was really clever!. I was only 13 at the time!.
Peter

Posted : 02/05/2013 7:37 pm
DuncanLeece
(@duncanleece)
Topic starter

Peter,

Many thanks, that is interesting......sounds like there is, or was, at least one other similar!

kind regards
Duncan

Posted : 02/05/2013 9:43 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Are they the Gramophone Fullotone?

http://www.gramophones.info/gramophones.fullotone.catalogue.html

Another link

https://vintage-technology.club/pages/radios/fullotone.htm

Auctions

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/price-guide/fullotone

There was an identical one on ebay 7th April last.

Mod Note:e-bay link removed to comply with forum rules

A Pye Model MM Walnut Cased Valve Radio Receiver, circa 1931, with sunburst design to fascia, two dials to side, back cover, revolving disc to base and original cord cable, 47cm by 41.5cm; A Small Walnut Cased Pilot Valve Radio, with gilt fascia, slatted front panel, three bakelite dials; A Walnut Cased Fullotone Valve Radio, with gilt metal grille and four bakelite dials (3)

Posted : 02/05/2013 11:02 pm
DuncanLeece
(@duncanleece)
Topic starter

Gosh.....they are cropping up everywhere!

Thanks for the links. The one on eBay 7th April, however, was mine, I think, as that is certainly when I won it!

kind regards
Duncan

Posted : 02/05/2013 11:17 pm
Cliff
(@cliff)
New Member Registered

Posted by: @duncanleece

Despite my resolutions to stick to collecting handsome pre-war sets, I can’t help myself ridding the north of Scotland of radio oddities, and clustering them all together under my care! So you have seen my Allander and McCarthy sets in previous posts, and here is another (circa 1950?)

[...]

Valves are: AZ31, 7S7, 7B7, 7C6, 6V6GT, and the Lectrona speaker is nice quality.

have this exact radio, just starting to refurbish it. Does anyone know where I can get a schematic?

Posted : 28/04/2020 3:48 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum ?

Unfortunately I think you're going to be out of luck finding service data for this Fullotone set. As you can see this thread is 7 years old and I've seen many other requests elsewhere going back as many years. Also, Duncan has not been seen on the forum in for over 5 years, I've no idea if he ever found data, I doubt it.

All is not lost though, you're just going have to get creative.

Although having a circuit is nice, it's not essential. Look at the valve line-up, search the Radio Museum for sets that use the same or very similar set of valves. On the homepage of the link I provided, you will see they have a specific search box called, "Search for models by Tubes/Valves/Semiconductors".

The chances are Fullotone likely snaffled with minor tweaks, another manufacturers design that was already in use, from that you can deduce similarities with what's in yours. Looking at other Fullotone examples, there's not a lot of components in them, a logical mind and approach should see you right.

Is there a problem you're stuck with? That's assuming you need help, you may not, we don't know your level of experience. If you get into trouble the radio folk here will be able to offer their advice and opinions. 

Hope that helps.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 28/04/2020 8:15 am
Cliff, Cliff and Cliff reacted
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The photos in this thread appear to be a standard superhet design AC only. Has Chris said there must be many similar circuits about, or even a generic circuit that would guide the way through a repair.

Confirm the valve line up and AC only, I will have a look to find something similar, you do the same, there must be a similar circuits available. The IF could be a problem if not standard but a sweep with a signal generator will give its frequency.

There will be paper capacitors require replacement, electrolytic that require reforming or replacing if they won’t reform. 

Don’t power it up until some basic checks for safety and critical items checked for functionality.

Frank

Posted : 28/04/2020 8:38 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@cliff

I have been looking around and not found an exact circuit but the Cossor 508 uses the 7S7,7B7 and 7C6 valves, the other two are rectifier and output.

With that circuit it should give you some help, it’s a standard line up, Triode Pentode mixer/osc, Vari mu IF, and Triode double diode, AF amp/detector/AGC.

Shouldn't be too difficult with that information to get it working if no major parts are faulty.

Frank

Posted : 13/05/2020 1:23 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

The circuit

cos508

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 13/05/2020 1:36 pm
Cliff, Nuvistor, Cliff and 3 people reacted
Cliff
(@cliff)
New Member Registered

@nuvistor Thanks very much, Frank.  Looks like just what I need! 

Cliff

Posted : 13/05/2020 6:21 pm
Cliff
(@cliff)
New Member Registered

@crustytv Thanks so much for posting!  I just printed it out!

Cliff

Posted : 13/05/2020 6:22 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@cliff
Please post on your progress, always interesting to see the unit working.

Frank

Posted : 13/05/2020 7:48 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
Cliff
(@cliff)
New Member Registered

@nuvistor  Will do!  First thing I noticed, all the bulbs were burnt out (and one was crushed!).  They're 6.3v, 0.35 amps, miniature screw base.  However, the "bulb" portion is round, very short, and not much larger in diameter than the base itself.  I'll keep looking, and will keep the forum informed.  There is no number on the bulb, just "6.3v  0.35a Philips."

Posted : 13/05/2020 8:38 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Like these? There are 3w ones available but they are 0.5A, those will put more strain on the transformer, there are 0.1A ones available and will be bright enough.

867A4E2E 033F 4784 B6EE DE393AFE109A

Frank

Posted : 13/05/2020 8:54 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I'm looking forward to reading more too, always an encouragement to see a new member embarking on a restoration/repair. It's also good to see that no matter how old a thread/post is, the information will always be useful.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 13/05/2020 9:15 pm
Share: