Goodmans 120 receiver

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
acj1980
(@acj1980)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Yesterday i got this Goodmans 120 receiver from a friend, i hard a lot off good things about Goodmans, a look inside reminds me about Rank-Arena television, same pcb layout and components, both head capasitors in the powersupply was bad ans all the bulbs was missing, but found new bulbs on my little stock.

I clean all the contacts and potentiometers, audio in via Tape is great, but not via phono/radio, the problem is distortion in left channel and pink noise in right channel, i guess that one off the twoo tba231 (op-amp) is defective.

>Does anyone have experience with those tba circuit

Alex 😉

Posted : 11/11/2017 8:18 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Looks a nice piece of kit.   Was the unit made in the UK?

From Graces Guide to British Industry:      https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Goodmans_Industries

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 12/11/2017 11:36 am
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Honorable Member Registered

It's reminiscent of some of the "long, low" presentation Far Eastern receivers of the era, but with more European styling- the presence of the 49m "Euro" band as SW bandspread makes me wonder if it was intended principally as a European market product? Receivers tended to be more popular on the mainland and the US than in the UK, unfortunately in the UK marketing tended to steer people towards separate amp and tuner designs, generating an "inferiority" and "compromise" image towards receivers. I say unfortunately, as the reasons proffered were invariably somewhat tenuous and peripheral- claims about power supply regulation/modulation and inter-stage interference that smacked of straw-clutching in the interest of product promotion. There's long been an element of snobbery in the UK hi-fi press.

Before being too condemnatory about the TBA231s, I can see some Lockfit transistors in the vicinity- these now quite elderly devices are notorious for producing these types of symptoms, possibly due to device degradation as a result of package shortcomings.

Goodmans did have a good reputation for sound (!) design but, like many UK products, were let down by component quality, whereas the Japanese took a very thorough approach to exemplary reliability of individual components.

Posted : 12/11/2017 11:59 am
Share: