Radio Hacker RP38A

4 Posts
2 Users
3 Reactions
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Last one of my vintage radios. A Hacker RP38A bought in the middle 70’s for use as the main radio with the Hacker VP408 power supply. Switched it on and the wave change switches were a bit noisy so with it off I used worked them a few times and that cleared that. Other than a slight VHF osc adjustment to tune in Classic FM at the top of the dial I did many years ago it is original. Radio 2 at the LF end of VHF is still ok, the adjustment was very little to get Classic FM. 
The VP408 voltage is adjustable from 6 to 18 volts, the RP38A requires 18volts. The PSU was intended for any of the Hacker radios sold at the time that had an external low voltage DC connection.

The radios I have posted apart from the valve Ekco were for our home use or one for my dad.

I will leave it playing for a few hours.

IMG 3050
IMG 3052
IMG 3051

Frank

Posted : 19/04/2024 8:43 am
LSmith, Cathovisor and Lloyd reacted
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

These really were a fine radio back in their day. I think the receiver front end was even used in some of their audio systems like the GA500.

Posted : 19/04/2024 10:06 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

@cathovisor Even to my deaf ears it sounds the best of the other radios I have posted about. I had a choice between this and the Sovereign and thought this was the better sounding radio even though it was cheaper to buy.

Frank

Posted : 19/04/2024 10:50 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@nuvistor And yet the Sovereign - especially the Sovereign 3 - commands crazy prices on eBay whilst the RP38A can be had very cheaply indeed.

Posted : 19/04/2024 10:55 am
Share: