Forum 141

I must be insane! Ekco A22...

83 Posts
14 Users
195 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Hi I have a ekco a22 radio how do I replace the grille cloth at the front of the radio? Tye

Posted : 23/08/2021 7:09 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Hello Tye,

Welcome to the forum! I'll try and explain how to do it, without pictures as I don't have access to any currently!

Firstly, the chassis needs to come out of the cabinet, remove the knobs first, should be a grub screw in each. Then there should be 4 screws holding the chassis in the cabinet, 2 near the top, and 2 underneath the chassis.

Once the chassis is out, you need to locate the screw that holds the dial and speaker cloth in, if you look at the side of the chassis near the main smoothing capacitor can there will be a lozenge shaped hole, with some wiring going into it, shine a bright light through the front of the dial and look down the hole, you should be able to see the screw. I think there are 2 of them, you want to undo the one closest to the front of the radio.

Once the screw is loose you should be able to carefully pull the dial off, complete with it's carrier (looks like a big mercedes badge!), and the speaker cloth.

On the back of the dial/carrier/speaker cloth assembly there should be several small screws, remove these and the chrome/bronze ring should come off, releasing the dial and speaker cloth. Be careful with these screws, they are sometimes stuck and require some careful jiggling to get them out, the bits they screw into also have a habit of breaking off of the chrome/bronze ring.

The cloth itself is mounted on a cardboard ring, with some slightly thicker backing cloth to add strength.

Hope this helps! I'll try and get some photo's together in the next few days.

Regards,

Lloyd

Posted : 23/08/2021 8:00 pm
Bakelite Brain
(@bakelite-brain)
New Member Registered

@tye 

Lloyd is spot on. But when you get to the small screws clamping the card disc with the fabric between the shiny disc to the metal support they may have corroded! If they haven't corroded they may break off (guess how I know?) when you try to unscrew them.

It might be a good idea to add some penetrating oil on them first and leave for a day or two. If any break, it's not an easy job to drill them out. But they are 8BA if they need replacing.

Good luck.

Ian

Posted : 24/08/2021 12:19 pm
Page 5 / 5
Share: