(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

@peter10tv 

Posted : 16/06/2022 2:31 pm
Doghouse
(@doghouse)
Trusted Member Registered

Sorry, can't see any message in the above post.

Posted : 16/06/2022 3:06 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

@doghouse

Don't worry, there isn't any message to see.

I was going to say something, but after yesterday's shenanigans, when a new member threw his toys and resigned, after being given some advice, I decided to sit back.

All the new member Rex has done above is post a mention. This will automatically send an e-mail to peter10tv, notifying him that he has been mentioned in a new post, but there isn't any "new post" as such.

Besides, Peter10tv account is deactivated due to him not having logged in for 7-years!!

All very odd.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 16/06/2022 3:39 pm
Reelman
(@reelman)

I bought a Grundig TK146 from Civic in Coventry’s Precinct back in 1971 on HP. I got to know the manager quite well as it had to go for repair several time, including a new motor. On one occasion it arrived back in the shop with a big scratch on the case. Rather than send it off again he just ordered a new case and asked if I would fit it myself. Although only 14 at the time I was happy to do so as at least it would be fitted with proper care! I also had to call into the shop to make my weekly repayments out of my pocket money. The HP  was in my mother’s name, me being a minor. 

Working in Curry’s just down the precinct two years later myself it was still necessary to obtain a husband’s permission if the wife wanted credit.

Would love to see a picture of either shop around that period….

Peter

Posted : 17/06/2022 1:07 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

The only clear shot of Currys I've got is from 1977.

Currys 1977

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 17/06/2022 9:13 pm
Doghouse
(@doghouse)

I've dug out a couple of photos from around 1963 or 1964.

This is my wife with our first son outside the shop.

It was a very modern shop for the time. Two full plate glass windows with returns either side of a terrazzo paved area before you came to the double glass doors. There was a return down the side of the left-hand window.

IMG 20220618 0001

Our son again "repairing a Hoover washing machine," in the shop.

He was still playing with Lego at the age of fourteen. Became a consultant engineer and travelled the World.

IMG 20220618 0002

Posted : 18/06/2022 4:09 pm
Doghouse
(@doghouse)

I'd add that we always had immaculately dressed window displays, (which even impress me now seeing these photos for the first time in dacades). The reflectors on the electric fires too, the staff kept polished.

That Hoover Keymatic washing machine would have been the equivalent of around £2,600 today

Posted : 18/06/2022 4:38 pm
Reelman
(@reelman)

Thanks very much for the photos, lovely to see the shop again after so long. Left Coventry 35 years ago but Curry’s is no longer there anyway….

Sorry to drift slightly off topic but…..

One little story about Currys; I used to work Saturdays and as can be seen from the photos above a fridge or similar was put in the entrance way outside the doors of the shop during working hours and kept inside overnight. Arriving Saturday morning there was a fridge outside along with its price card on top. It had been there all night as they had forgotten to retrieve it on the Friday night! There was a night club (Mr George’s) nearby so people had obviously walked past and just ignored it.

Have you noticed that these days few shops have a window with items displayed? The days of window shopping around town are long gone - shame.

Peter

Posted : 18/06/2022 6:05 pm
Doghouse
(@doghouse)

The story of the fridge reminded me. At the shop in Putney, we had fridges and washing machines displayed outside, but I chained them up!

Posted : 18/06/2022 10:04 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: