Notifications
Clear all

KB Er30.

malcscott
(@malcscott)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Hi, i have just rescued this sorry looking KB radio from a derelict house. It looks complete but very rough and filthy.
Is it worth restoring? Malc

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/05/2015 5:41 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Member Deactivated Account

It looks complete to me under all that dust apart from the speaker cloth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2015 5:46 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

I'd say "yes". It just looks very, very grubby! It may in fact surprise you immensely as to what's under there - look at that Bush EBS44L I applied some elbow grease to...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2015 5:56 pm
ianj
 ianj
(@ianj)

The speaker grille should have bars on it ; however, the style o c it looks ok without them. They go well, with amazingly deep bass and volume, I've got one. I've just put a new em34 into mine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2015 7:48 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

I might have a piece of suitable cloth from the scrapped FG50 I had: alternatively, gold 'Expamet' would look contemporary, just not very... KB!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2015 8:00 pm
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)

I would restore it, I am sure it would look a whole lot better for a good clean!
They are a good performer and worth doing, but personally I think they are an ugly set.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2015 8:04 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Thanks for your replies, restored it will be then. I will start tomorrow by giving it a good blow out with the air gun on the compressor and removing the chassis. I notice the dial cord is u/s :ccf Malc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/05/2015 8:19 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

The original speaker cloth would have been a "tygan" cloth (I think that is how it is spelt), It is woven from coarse plastic/nylon type material with a regular vertical pattern of colours. There should be 4 horizontal wood bars across the speaker cloth.

Given a careful clean and treatment with polish or oil depending on the state of the lacquer under the grime it should come up looking quite smart. They are capable of very good performance and with the 10 inch speaker the sound is very pleasing.

A good restoration project, the bars for the front should be easy to make, you may even be able to buy a moulding already shaped to the correct profile, which I think is an isosceles triangle with base of 3/8 inch screwed against the baffle and the perpendicular height of about 1/2 inch.
if you need any photos for comparison, just shout.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kolsterbr_er30er_3.html

good luck with it.

Mike

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2015 10:27 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

The original speaker cloth would have been a "tygan" cloth (I think that is how it is spelt), It is woven from coarse plastic/nylon type material with a regular vertical pattern of colours.

It is spelt "Tygan", and I'll go dig out the FG50's baffle for you later to see if the cloth is easily separated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/05/2015 2:51 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Hi, set now fully re-capped and working ok. Magic eye is dead (6u5g) anyone got a spare one? Has anyone ever replaced the dial cord on one of these? It looks like a nightmare to replace !! Malc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/05/2015 1:29 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2015 1:35 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

I have the dial cord re-fitting info on the trader sheet, but i cant make sense of the details, Malc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/05/2015 1:39 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

OK. Well now its posted perhaps others may be able to help you make sense of it. :thumb

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2015 1:43 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

I am quite good at fitting dial cords and have replaced many over the years. But this one is like something from the Krypton Factor ! :ccf

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/05/2015 1:48 pm
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)

I would rather tackle your set than a Philips anyday :bbd

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2015 2:40 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Its reasonably straight forward, its just very difficult to access the tuning gang drive drum.
ignore the long metal rod pointer thing until you have completed fitting the cord. Tit the pointer rod after the cord is finished, it will help tension the cord as you wrap the cord around the wire. You will need some thin long nose pliers and a couple of long thin screwdrivers for poking the cord about where fingers can not reach.
I use blobs of bees wax to "stick" the cord to the grove on the gang drum, otherwise it keeps falling off as it goes slack and tight as you are poking it around.
I think from memory I started at the drum and tie the spring onto a loop in the centre of the cord, have plenty of length spare on each end.
The cord is then pushed through the hole in the rim of the drum under the and threaded round the drive spindle as shown and out to the front of the radio. The other end goes the opposite way round the pulley and then out to the front.
Once the cord is approximately in place position it into the pulleys. Check position of where pointer goes when gang is up one of the scale and make a loop in the cord then tie the other end around the loop.the pointer can normally be wrapped round the cord when the cord is in place. and then adjust the pointers position. Dont tie the knots in the cord tight or cut excess off until you are happy it all works.
I use waxed whipping twine, available at ships chandlers.
The Trader instructions are attached but are different to what I seem to remember doing.

Good luck
Mike

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2015 7:59 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Hi Mike, thanks for your advice. I will source some dial cord and have a shot at it. Cheers, Malc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/05/2015 8:18 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

... and I'll have a look for a 6U5G.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2015 9:05 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Cheers! :)