Luxuri Radio

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Stitch
(@stitch)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

I've been after one of these so I'll be interested in your experience for when I do get one.

valveradios.com

Posted : 19/06/2012 12:36 am
Cobaltblue
(@cobaltblue)
Honorable Member Registered

I will be interested in this mine fades out after a few minutes and I have concluded the output valve is overheating.
The dropper cap is OK as are other caps.
I initially came to the conclusion that the problem is that our local mains which is over 250V is over running the set.
Certainly it runs for hours on 220V. I haven't had time to look into it further as there is a pile of other sets in need of some real attention :=D
So It will be great if Trevor does all the thinking for me on this one :thumbl:
Cheers
Mike T

I don't care if it was a bargain whats it doing on my kitchen table. www.cossor.co.uk

Posted : 19/06/2012 8:05 am
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

If a set designed for 220V is operated on 250V, that is bad news!

250V is a 14% increase on 220V. What is more damning is the 29% increase in power consumption ...

As you say that your mains voltage is over 250V, things can only get worse ...

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 19/06/2012 11:18 am
Cobaltblue
(@cobaltblue)

I thought the dropper cap in mine is only 1.8uF although I can't check until the weekend as the set is in Exeter.
I suppose my memory could be playing tricks and it was 2.8uF :=D
I have the original box as well, I will see if there is anything helpful on that.

I bought it to complement my other small sets such as the ALBA C112's

I dare not push the tuning knob all the way on for fear I will never get it off again :omg:

Anyone else found the tuning knob a really tight fit?

Cheers

Mike T

I don't care if it was a bargain whats it doing on my kitchen table. www.cossor.co.uk

Posted : 20/06/2012 12:41 pm
Cobaltblue
(@cobaltblue)

Here are the pics of my Luxuri and it's box it's got £3/10 hand written on the top of the box.

The Capacitor is 2 uF so I don't know where I got 1.8 from :oops: and dated 1963.

I suppose if the Cap is +20% that might be plenty enough to overun it.

There's no voltage range on the box.

On the botton of the circuit it gives the range as 200 to 240 VAC 30W the capacitor is given as 2.04 uF

I still havent pushed the knob all the way on and from the corrosion on the shaft it not been pushed fully home for a long long time!

Cheers

Mike T

Posted : 22/06/2012 6:38 pm
Cobaltblue
(@cobaltblue)

Its nice to see they are just as Batty as us on the other side of the Pond!

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131808

This was the real market for these sets so its not too surprising they did a bodge and scarper for our Market.

Does anyone know if they were sold in the UK under any other Brand and is that D you see everywhere on these sets for Denshi ?

Cheers

Mike T

Posted : 24/06/2012 10:40 am
Wage Slave
(@wage-slave)
Estimable Member Registered

Does anyone know if they were sold in the UK under any other Brand and is that D you see everywhere on these sets for Denshi ?

Not sure what you mean by everywhere. Anyway, "denshi" would normally mean "battery". "Denki" means "electricity" or "electrical". If you can point me at specific examples I might be able to narrow it down more.

I haven't ever seen one of these in Japan but given the enthusiasm for throwing things away that's perhaps not surprising.

Posted : 24/06/2012 11:34 am
Cobaltblue
(@cobaltblue)

Hi WS
The D is moulded into the cabinets and is on the circuit diagram, on the speaker and printed on the chassis.

ISTR that in the 70's there were lots of DENSHI radio kits here in the UK but the D they use is different, It was probably just a generic name as DENSHI "blocks" were used by Gakken in their kits but manufactured by Denshi Block Mfg. Co. Ltd.

I also note that lots of Japanese manufacturers have Denshi in the name but that's just the same as western countries adding electronics to their name.

Interesting.

I have done a very quick sketch of the trade mark in case anyone recognises it.

Cheers

Mike t

Posted : 24/06/2012 12:42 pm
Wage Slave
(@wage-slave)

Aha. You are right. My translator doesn't know what she is talking about. Denshi means electronic as well as being a colloquial word for battery. It isn't, as far as I know (which isn't much), a name of a particular company.

I think I have noticed that mark on things too. I wonder if it is some sort of standards mark rather than a trademark. I'll ask around a bit more and see if anyone knows.

Posted : 24/06/2012 1:16 pm
Wage Slave
(@wage-slave)

Well at bit of information but not much. The reason it looks so familiar is that the "igeta" shape appears in traditional fabrics, family crests, etc, etc. The Sumitomo logo is an "igeta" with nothing in the centre. Sort of the equivalent of a heraldic shield shape.

It has also been spotted on a Sony speaker so it is probably the mark of a company that made speakers and assembled radios. It could possibly be some kind of "quality" mark that never meant very much. Sort of like the China Export CE mark if you like.

It might be an early mark of "Diatone", a division of Mitsubishi, who were early manufacturers of speakers. However, there is no trace of that logo on the internet now and their products were high quality. Maybe it was a mark they used on their cheap stuff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatone

Here's the Sony, http://jyoumonshibainu.blog.eonet.jp/rokuhan/2007/12/19-750d.html. Scroll down to the Sony 830-11. It is very hard to see but apparently is mentioned in the text.

If anyone has one extra they would part with I would be interested - I, and a few other people here, are quite interested now in these curiosities.

Posted : 26/06/2012 9:36 am
Share: