Making repro 1930s style can electros

1 Posts
1 Users
12 Likes
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Sideband's post about restoring the Philips radio reminded me of this idea. I'm not sure if anyone on the other side of the globe will find it useful but here goes.

1930s radios usually had "wet" can electros, which of course dried up many years ago and were replaced. I thought it would be nice to be able to fill the empty holes in chassis where the old cans had been removed. Here is how I went about it:

You will need, for each electro:

1. A can of Berocca or similar effervescent vitamins. This is an aluminium can about the same size as the can electro, a bit slimmer perhaps. Use paint stripper to remove the label so you have a natural aluminium finish.

2. A bolt with 2 matching nuts. The bolt head needs to be an interference fit into the Berocca can.

3. Two nails and a plastic masonry plug.

4. The new electro to go in the can.

Drill two holes in the bolt, one down the middle to take the masonry plug and one to suit the nail.

Solder the nail into the bolt head, using a gas flame - it will take a lot of heating.

Press the masonry plug in and insert the 2nd nail through it to make a solid assembly.

Solder the electro to the nails and glue the can in place over the assembly using construction adhesive or similar.

Laser print a convincing repro label onto clear adhesive film and attach it to the can.

Cap and base assy

Et voila!

Posted : 11/10/2020 12:04 am
peterscott, freya, Lloyd and 9 people reacted
Share: