7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Panrock
(@panrock)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi,

This unit may be a little modern for the forum. Mods please move as appropriate - at least I am not 'quaking in my boots' here...

This unit has a twin cassette deck so it can tape other tapes. The head carrying metal tray on the right hand 'play only' deck is stuck too high in its travel and I can't move it down to the correct position. As a result it will not accept cassettes.

I attach a picture. Is there any hidden little 'lever' somewhere I can trip or any other snazzy technique I can use to put this right? I don't want to disassemble the whole machine.

It seems the board software is cutting off the right hand side of my embedded image. If this is the case for you too, please right-click on it and copy and paste it to somewhere on your computer - then you can see it all.

Thanks,

Steve

Forum 142

Posted : 22/12/2013 11:30 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

Is it possible to push the head carrier to the position where the pinch roller engages the capstan?
If it can then have a look to see if there is a foreign object under it.
If it is motor driven could the tape sensor be activated so that the loading sequence cycles?

Posted : 23/12/2013 12:54 am
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

As far as I can recall, the cassette deck loading on these is driven by the capstan motor, I can see if I have the manual a bit later.

A sloppy capstan/loading belt causes this problem (this unit has two capstan belts sharing one motor), if you can turn the partially toothed cam gear at the back of the mechanism by hand it will move the head down.

The cam/sector gear is similar to auto-decks on record players, ie. partially toothed around the periphery and usually uses a solenoid in place of the pawl (this one actually doesn't use the solenoid as it is semi-auto rather than fully).

If I can find a diagram for you I will post it up, or give it to Chris or Stan for the library.

Edit: Yes I have Service manual, operating manual and parts list, also the deck loading is motor driven from a gear on the capstan, if you require these documents let me know.

Posted : 23/12/2013 1:30 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Hi Steve,
I have the service manual for this model as a pdf, I can email it to you, PM me your email address.
Cheers.
John

Posted : 23/12/2013 1:58 am
Panrock
(@panrock)
Topic starter

Thanks for all the help. As it happens I managed to locate a free manual online last night.

What appears to have happened is that the head carrier has become bent in a subtle way. I managed to move it this morning after applying some considerable force to get it started. The pivot spring that locates the capstan roller to this carrier had also become unhitched.

The head carrier now moves up and down but remains stiff, despite applying a little lubricant. The capstan roller still doesn't press tightly enough on the capstan.

Basically, it looks like this deck has been abused in the past and I'll just have to replace it (one day) with the one from my spares machine. Since I don't 'tape tapes' these days and the other cassette deck on this machine is fine anyway, this isn't an urgent job.

Steve

Posted : 23/12/2013 12:43 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

Do I see a bit of broken plastic just to the right of the pinch roller?
If so it would account for the lack of pinch roller pressure as it is on the spring carrier.

Posted : 23/12/2013 1:33 pm
Panrock
(@panrock)
Topic starter

Not so Ref... this is an effect of the lighting on an angled plastic face. The same bit is found on the other (good) deck too.

Thanks for the idea though.

Steve

Posted : 23/12/2013 4:07 pm
Share: