Philips Monoknob po...

Notifications
Clear all

Philips Monoknob pots (vol and tone)

pclover
(@pclover)
Member Deactivated Account

I added to an old thread expecting it to jump to the top of the list but it didn't. Strange Forum and very minimal and pedantic on picture size ( a few bytes over and you are Red out). Would have thought auto adjust would be available.

Anyway here's a link to it: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10089&p=116018#p116018

Gary

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/04/2015 8:18 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Hi Gary,
I am a bit puzzled, the post is at the top of the list in the wanted section.

Very posh underneath that chassis, I wonder why the original designers went to all that trouble when there appears to lots of room on the front panel?

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2015 8:32 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

My dad used to repair radios for a hobby in the 40's and 50's, his comment was " Philips sets are fine until they break, you then need a can opener to start work on them" Give him his due, he was self taught but he did the job right.
Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2015 9:07 pm
Terry
(@terrykc)
Famed V-Ratter Rest in Peace

We used to reckon that there was an inmate in the Eindhoven mental institution who was let out once a year to design the cord drives for Philips' new range of radios!

Our reasoning was that nobody sane could possibly design such complicated ways to do such a simple job! Multiple drive cords, some nylon, some wire and nobody that I knew ever worked out how to restring one without the Philips' manual!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2015 11:28 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I added to an old thread expecting it to jump to the top of the list but it didn't. Strange Forum and very minimal and pedantic on picture size ( a few bytes over and you are Red out). Would have thought auto adjust would be available.

Gary

Not such a strange forum, just your misunderstanding of how one functions.

The post you added did take the thread to the top of the list, what it does not do is go above stickies, so the two posts above it are priorities. This is standard on all forums; stickies will always remain above normal threads, it's just presentation that varies.

See attached and you will now see what you failed to see before.

As for photo sizing, yes I wouldn't disagree but hey we've all get on with it. I've offered enough advice of the past four years to ease the pain. I hope what the forum offers compensates for the minor trouble of resizing to fit in with the 120KB limit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2015 9:10 am
pclover
(@pclover)

Oh! sorry Nuvistor. I had forgotten that I had posted the original Thread in the wanted section. Think I was a bit 'potty' :ccb at the time or having a Senior Moment when I made the addition.

I should say that Philips were very clever and built the gearbox actually inside the pot ! Its about 5:1 but made into 8:1 by the position of the fulcrum on the operating arm.

Gary

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/05/2015 9:15 am
pclover
(@pclover)

Sorry Crusty. You are quite right of course, just me, tired at the end of the day.

I do understand how it works and the picture size whilst small does the job.

thanks Gary :ccb

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/05/2015 9:29 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Senior moments, I know them well.

The original does look a lot less complicated, but what you have made works and fits, and that is what matters.
Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2015 10:41 am
pclover
(@pclover)

I should have replied Frank that Yes! there is plenty of room on the front panel of Monoknob sets for separate Volume and Tone controls and I have even seen that done to make them continue working (I could never do that). But the single knob, albeit with a couple of switches around it, was a design feature that was very successful. They sold in large numbers judging by how many models there are with so many still around. From the limited research I have done they were made in Philips factories across Europe (mine has an A for Austria in the serial number). And as a friend says "Philips never made a bad radio" and they probably worked for years with the odd valve change. As to alignment, with great coils and air spaced trimmers even now they normally don't need anything done unless the work has been major as in my case.

For me its a challenging restoration but I have done enough easy ones and its passed a whole winter and may even be doing so for some of the next. I don't want too many radios (some still have to go) so its been good.

Gary

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/05/2015 11:31 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Looks good, not seen one before, I can see the aesthetics of the design and appreciate it was popular.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2015 1:31 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

I can't fault Philips's engineering - it's just the implementation of it!

I have to say though I do prefer the German Aachen-Super monoknobs; there are some very elaborate sets in there that never made it over here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2015 2:19 pm