Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Rolls Royce/Bentley car radio maker?

ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

Can anyone tell me which brand of car radio was normally fitted to vintage Rolls Royce and Bentley motor cars as the maker's name is not displayed? Ours had a Philips radio but that was to special order so I'm guessing not normally fitted. Dashboard pictures show it as being a fairly ordinary affair with five push buttons and a dial either side.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/12/2015 5:52 pm
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Blaupunkt?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2015 5:58 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Dear me, fit something GERMAN??!!

No, it's a Radiomobile. You can see the name just under the '550' on the MW scale.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2015 6:01 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

Blimey, your eyesight is much better than mine! :ccf

Thanks to both for the quick replies

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/12/2015 6:06 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Illustrious V-Ratter Moderator

No, it's a Radiomobile. You can see the name just under the '550' on the MW scale.

Yep, and I think you'll even find that 'Lady Penelope's' (Thunderbirds) pink Rolls Royce was kitted out with a Radiomobile 'wireless set'.. :aal

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2015 9:20 pm
Rebel Rafter
(@rebel-rafter)
Active V-Ratter Registered

Hi all from RR. A mate of mine had a 1985 Rolls-Royce Bentley mulsanne turbo and that had a Panasonic radio but I don't know if it was the original one, How old is the car with the Radiomobile? I think I had a radio like that one once. I know I had a Motorola one, the one with the fancy pointed knobs. RR.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2015 10:01 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

How old is the car with the Radiomobile?

It's not one of ours but the one in the picture is 1960.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/12/2015 10:19 pm
Bobhowe
(@bobhowe)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Hi what year & model is your Rolls Royce ? i had a 1972 Silver Shadow 1 & it had a Radiomobile radio & a separate 8 track player in the centre console . There was a lot of options with this car the Shadow 1 could have been fitted with Radiomobile Motorola & Philips & the shadow 2 models had the same options & Blaupunkt was a option on 1978 models on as well

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2015 8:34 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

Hi what year & model is your Rolls Royce ?

Hi Bob

It was a Silver Cloud II circa 1962 I think? (I can't be certain because the Silver Cloud I is almost identical except for the engine). I've only ever seen pictures of it and there's some mystery as to its eventual fate.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/12/2015 9:30 pm
Bobhowe
(@bobhowe)

Nice model one of the last REAL Rolls Royce the radio would have been a Motorola not sure what model it would of been . I you give flying spares ( they sell new & used parts) on 01455292949 & they should help you regards Bob :bba

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/12/2015 12:56 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

Thanks Bob

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/12/2015 10:39 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Yep, and I think you'll even find that 'Lady Penelope's' (Thunderbirds) pink Rolls Royce was kitted out with a Radiomobile 'wireless set'.. :aal

Marion

Although the latest Rolls-Royce cars are made in Goodwood the bodywork is shipped over from Germany.
Ugly looking cars but I'm sure the noble Lord Sugar likes his.

More akin to the earlier Rolls-Bentley cars is the Mulsanne, that's one to aspire to own. Don't bother with the footballer Continental. Instead, lookout for the VW Pheaton, same car under the skin.

The Mulsanne: http://www.bentleymotors.com/en/models/mulsanne.html

They've worked wonders with the 6.75 liter V8. still has push rods for the valves?

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2016 11:10 pm
Bobhowe
(@bobhowe)

Hi David the later 6.7 engines are DOHC V12 & are hand built but there was a V16 9 litre RR made 9 engines but only used 5 . The original 6.7 V8 was been developed as a turbo diesel for Leyland buses & there made 3 engines but the project was mothballed

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2016 10:10 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Bob,
so those Rolls-Royce engines have humble origins. Remember the Vandenplas 4 litre R? A development of the Austin A110. VDP applied a few styling changes and fitted a RR engine.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2016 11:33 pm
Bobhowe
(@bobhowe)

Yes you are right with out going OT you are right & a lot of the design was influenced by the Merlin areo engine ( valve port design ) & a lot of other things

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2016 11:53 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

On ebay. A Vandenplas 4 litre R Drive around in style for little money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vanden-Plas-4 ... 1987642296

Till Elenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2016 2:12 pm