2 Users
0 Likes
davegsm82
(@davegsm82)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

I took a punt on this the other day...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIDOR-Riviera ... 3a912bca65

Collected it and noticed something odd after reading up on the CN379, it has a power cable.

The power cable leads to a genuine, factory fitted PSU where I assume the batteries would normally sit, with a full sized mains transformer, smoother and a 6X5GT Rectifier.

The valves are all 7-pin 6xxx types, 4 + Rectifer. The set has 3 bands, S,M,L.

Upon close inspection I found (under the rot) that the model is in fact a CN393, which I can't much reference to on the net. Radiomuseum doesn't have a 'Real' picture of it.

Unfortunately, the dreaded worm has been at it and absolutely powdered the lower half of the case. I've removed the innards so I can store the case away from furniture etc. The 'plastic' parts have shrunk and warped substantially, see the shape of the dial, as has the speaker surround. The Wavechange switch is rusted in place and one quarter of one of the wafers has snapped off. The metal parts are all rusted and the inside of the case mouldy and holed.

I'm not sure if it's worth saving to be honest, the 6X5GT would slot nicely into my KB FB10 too (bought from the same seller).

Dave.

https://sites.google.com/site/davegsm82/projects/radioputer - A BC5441 Turned into a Media Centre PC.

Posted : 11/06/2014 5:22 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Absolutely worth saving!

and can be salvaged.

See my Ever Ready Model C (replaced 3/4 of the wood) and Invicta Vicki!

I'll look and see what Info I have on it. I didn't take any interest in that listing as a I have a "real" CN379.
All that era of Vidor had something odd about the plastic and very prone to warp and shrink!

What I'd like too is one of the Chanson Mains Vidors.

I guess the mains Vidor in Portable case is same logic as the Roberts (mains and Battery versions of same style).

Trader 957 shows that the CN393 is same case as CN379. Picture is reasonable.

The mains B7G valves more common in USA models of course. It also possibly lets them use almost the same chassis as the CN379. The Chassis is very very similar. Though even the earlier Octal CN351 (Export CN352) is very similar chassis to CN379, but without SW and different cabinet.

Posted : 11/06/2014 10:03 pm
davegsm82
(@davegsm82)
Topic starter

I've not ruled out salvaging the radio, but there are a lot of things going against it, that's all I'll say.

The wafer is broken, the power switch (operates on the lid) is rusted open and doesn't operate because of the badly warped plastic dial cover, the cover being warped is a big problem

If it was rebuilt then I wouldn't accept anything other than 100% replacement of all wood pieces, I have a lot of wood furniture in the house and had to treat the whole place for woodworm when we moved in, I don't fancy having to go through that again (we still have emerging beetles 4 years on :aaf ).

Maybe I'll put in a request and see if anyone has any bits for it, on the plus side, rebuilding the case would mean I could make it any colour I want, I was thinking this ---> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-LEATHER-EFFECT-STICKY-BACK-PLASTIC-SELF-ADHSIVE-VINYL-FILM-ANIMAL-SKIN-/151176301510?pt=UK_Wallpaper&hash=item2332cf4bc6

Dave.

https://sites.google.com/site/davegsm82/projects/radioputer - A BC5441 Turned into a Media Centre PC.

Posted : 12/06/2014 9:50 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

You know the actual "Rexine" style cloth is still made? The stuff on the Vidor is PVC on cloth. It's only bound on by water based glue too. One supplier is Ratchford.

Even thin Vinyl surfaced table cloth (available in plain shades) works better than self adhesive plastic. You use PVA wood or craft glue.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/invict ... vicki.html

Nearly 2 years ago.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/ever_r ... ir_ca.html

If beetles are still emerging the wood wasn't treated enough. A blow torch 100% fatal. Since the cloth can be 100% soaked off ... The egg to emerging Beetle is 2 to 5 years.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1653

If you are not using freezing below 21C for several days with quick cycle to room temperature (i.e. boiling water) and freeze again or greater than 39C deep into wood (oven for 4hrs @ 110C / 230F or Blowtorch) you need to soak several times with the killer fluid. It's only particularly fatal to eggs, not grubs. It mostly kills the grubs by asphyxiation, soaking a day or too in paraffin or heating oil is as effective for grubs.

Nothing at all kills Death Watch beetle other than cooking or 4 days to a week of poison gas or total immersion a week etc. The topical application of fluids is useless for them.

Or you could flog the radio to someone that can restore it in an original fashion.

Posted : 12/06/2014 5:02 pm
davegsm82
(@davegsm82)
Topic starter

Not seen in the pictures is some substantial damage to the surface of the covering on both sides and the back, also where the bottom of the radio has been attacked it has been holed very substantially. I'd have to re-cover it with something, just not the original. I'm not keen on the colour of the covering currently.

I really don't mind rebuilding the case, I quite enjoy woodwork and have a particularly interesting project to show off in the coming weeks/months/when I can be bothered to finish it.

Perhaps it would actually be easier to obtain a case from a scrap CN379. Plenty of options.

Dave.

Posted : 12/06/2014 7:24 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

I just dab the fabric holes with cheap artists Acrylic paint. They are hardly visible once the wood is fixed. I find though cocktail sticks better and faster for filling holes. "Crackle" uses wax.

I think a CN379 cabinet is unlikely as the chassis is nearly indestructible and the wood is more likely to suffer from rot or woodworm!

Posted : 12/06/2014 9:10 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

I just dab the fabric holes with cheap artists Acrylic paint. They are hardly visible once the wood is fixed. I find though cocktail sticks better and faster for filling holes. "Crackle" uses wax.

I think a CN379 cabinet is unlikely as the chassis is nearly indestructible and the wood is more likely to suffer from rot or woodworm!

Hi
I would just like to clarify, I have used wax to fill worm holes where the majority of the finish to the cabinet still retains a good gloss. That is so the surrounding finish is not damaged when cleaning up. But if the cabinet has to be scraped or sanded back I would normally use wood pulp/sawdust and held in place with just a small blob of superglue on top which seeps in.
Mike

Posted : 13/06/2014 7:26 am
Share: