Vidor Vagabond and ...

Notifications
Clear all

Radio Vidor Vagabond and GEM portables

Mink_Tube
(@mink_tube)
New V-Ratter Registered

Can in anyone explain why the ferrite rod is in the carrying handle on these early portables?

Was it to avoid rf signal interference from the superhet circuit?

Kinda curious.  Vidor were going to patent the idea but seemingly never did.

Chris.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/07/2022 5:59 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@mink_tube 
Sorry don’t know the answer, possibly as you say that they had problems with stability and had to move the aerial away from the first transistor. Later circuits they found away around it.

Another possibly is marketing, “Our aerial is in the handle to give better reception.

Other makers didn’t copy the idea as far as I know. I can envisage reliability problems for the ferrite with knocks etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2022 8:58 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

@mink_tube Can you rotate the handle independently of the cabinet? I'm wondering if it's to allow the set to sit in a fixed position whilst turning the aerial for best reception?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2022 9:24 pm
Mink_Tube
(@mink_tube)
New V-Ratter Registered

@cathovisor 

Don't have one (yet!) but as far as I know, no rotation possible.

You can just move the handle up or down.  So one would still have to rotate the complete set in the usual way for best reception.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/07/2022 9:31 pm
Mink_Tube
(@mink_tube)
New V-Ratter Registered

@nuvistor I think you are on the number with "Marketing".  Clever though and the handle looks rather elegant in the 'carry' position, as if it is floating on air.

Vagabond 1

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/07/2022 9:39 pm
Mink_Tube
(@mink_tube)
New V-Ratter Registered

I found the Vidor patent for the aerial in the handle.  GB 811826, April 1959.

Near the end they describe how the handle can be independently rotated for best ferrite rod reception, while keeping the loudspeaker aimed at the audience.  Only trouble is it was never manufactured this way so far as I can tell.  At least one owner tells me it only lifts up and down.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/07/2022 10:38 am
Nuvistor liked