Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Degaussing Coil Wanted  

PaulGoggo1
(@paulgoggo1)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Hello

I am looking for a Degauss coil. I used to have one years ago, but with several house moves since, its got mislaid (lost!) along the way.

With 24 CTV sets to look at I will need one!

Can anyone help? All costs met etc.

Many Thanks

Paul

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2020 1:34 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Available on Amazon for around £15 with 5 weeks delivery if no one has one. Or make one from the auto degaussing circuit on a scrap tv.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2020 1:47 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I made one, about 45 years ago by salvaging the coils from 2x Philips G6 degaussing circuits. - Worked well until someone stole it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2020 9:46 pm
PaulGoggo1
(@paulgoggo1)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

@katie-bush

Yes The one I lost was homemade, again from Philips coils. However I think it was too powerful as it actually crawled along the floor buzzing as it went!

it got hot very quickly too and you could degauss the CRT from about 6 feet away! Pity its gone!

Thanks for all the replies

Paul

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 11:19 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

That's how I evolved mine. .  Two coils from one set were quite good, but after about 4 or 5 minutes it was getting appreciably warm - Hardly surprising, considering that those coils were meant for high current, diminishing voltage, short term operation. However, with four coils out of two sets you could get a comfortable 10 minutes or more - Far more than needed to degauss an average telly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 8:23 pm
Mkstevo
(@mkstevo)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

The last time I needed one, I got creative...
The company I work for manufacture and supply "entertainment" machines and the like, mostly the sort of machines you would find in amusement arcades. I've designed the current Change Machine electronics and software. The things that spit out 2p's in exchange for £2 coins.

One of our biggest sellers are replacement coils for the "grabbers" that we also manufacture. A 48V coil fed from a suitable transformer makes a superb degaussing wand. Add in some ferrous material and it is even more effective. It does get hot after a minute or two though, but then the commercial one I had when I was still working in the job I loved of repairing TV's also got very hot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2020 12:51 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I still have a "gun type" which I think I obtained from either SEME or CHS about fifteen years ago to replace a home made circular type which I had inherited way back when I first entered the trade.

Anyhow two types were available at the time, one was a cylindrical white tube which looked like it was made inside a 12" length of 2" wastepipe with a push button on the top as it was meant to held vertically, this was the one I had ordered as is was the cheaper of the two.

The second type was pistol shaped and red in colour, the trigger switch operated it as it was used horizontally, anyway I ended up with this latter type for the same price as the former one as the supplier had no stock left of the one I had ordered and apparently no lead time as to when it was/would be available again.

I had previously used the white cylindrical type a few times at one of the shops I worked for and found it very good which is why I ordered it in the first place, the gun/pistol type I ultimately ended up with for myself was just as effective however, not sure of the price difference though, it was not any more powerful in use that I could see.

Both came with warnings not to hold the button/trigger for more than sixty seconds at any one time, and to allow it to cool between operations.

Here are a few pics of my gun type.

20200607 132522
20200607 132548
20200607 132522

"This is my multimeter. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My multimeter is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my multimeter is useless. Without my multimeter, I am useless."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2020 1:45 pm