Share:
Notifications

Jug Kettle Wanted  

Page 1 / 2

Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

An odd request!

Does anyone have a 1980s style jug kettle in need of a home? - The ones before cordless became the norm.

My trusty old Swan Brand is slipping quietly away and needs replacing. For my own reasons, I don't particularly want a cordless kettle, and the older jug kettles are getting thin on the ground.

Preferably working, preferably Swan Brand, but all comers considered. - Let me know how much, and I'll furnish the funds.

Cheers,

Marion

If it ain't fixed, don't break it!............

Posted : 13/02/2020 9:24 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Ebay's a good place to browse, I got this Timothy Whites kettle a year or two back. Boxed and unused it was too. Think it was a tenner plus postage.

IMG 5517 50
IMG 5516 50

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft.
Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2020 10:18 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: @pye625

Ebay's a good place to browse, I got this Timothy Whites kettle a year or two back. Boxed and unused it was too. Think it was a tenner plus postage.

IMG 5517 50

Now that's a proper kettle! Looks a bit like a cross between an old style '70s Swan Brand and a 'Best'. ✅

I haven't had the same luck as you on eBay, and the only one I did find was a Genuine NIB Swan Brand, priced at a modest £80! I thought, nah, I'll hold out for something from a seller whose feet are still on the ground. 🚀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2020 12:02 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I remember a time when electric kettles seemed to last forever. If the element went you could go to the local electrical shop and pick up a replacement (assuming you had the ability to replace it yourself). Alternatively said electrical shop would have a smiling electrician who would replace it for you at a reasonable cost. The kettle would then work for years again.

Now it seems that irrespective of brand, you're lucky to get a year or two out of them. The current trend of cordless jug kettles seem to fail with boring monotony....usually (with me) the auto switch-off seems to be the weak point. The current one is around 14 months old. It's a Russell Hobbs which hitherto I have regarded as a good brand. However, the 'flappy paddle' switch at the base of the kettle is showing signs of failing since when cold it has to be operated two or three times before it stays down and the kettle operates. 

To be honest, the one that lasted the longest (nearly two years) was a cheap Chinese no-name jug kettle from Sainsburys which cost just over £6. The current one was £25. 

Maybe I should go back to the days of an ordinary kettle heated on a gas ring or....a paraffin heater!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2020 7:06 am
Red_to_Black, Alex728, Katie Bush and 1 people liked
PYE625
(@pye625)
Posted by: @sideband

I remember a time when electric kettles seemed to last forever.

Precisely the reason I set about obtaining an older model. I became sick and tired of buying modern one's which are just poor quality rubbish that deteriorate rapidly.

Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2020 8:29 am
PYE625
(@pye625)

Speaking of modern kettles that deteriorate rapidly, take a look at this highly sophisticated electrical test of their characteristics..... 😊 

Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2020 10:54 am
helloekco
(@helloekco)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

When my wife and I bought our first kitchen appliances I insisted on spending a little more to get a Philips stainless steel kettle, mainly because I don't like the idea of boiling drinking water using plastics. It was a good decision, as that was in 1998 and until a couple of years ago it was still going strong. In fact it still works, but the switch has become temperamental - which is probably my fault, because in an effort to save electricity I always knocked it off at the socket when the water boiled, rather than wait for it to turn itself off. The result is that the switch contacts have corroded - and I can't for the life of me find a replacement switch.

Since then we've been using a Dualit stainless steel kettle that we were given - not quite a good quality as the Philips but still seems pretty well made.

The Philips is a Filterline cordless, the last time I saw one on eBay it was for sale for just a few pounds - I really recommend them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2020 11:43 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

@pye625 Well that explains last night's power failure!

Now, I play my computer's audio output via my Hi-Fi, and I can tell you straight, when that kettle burned up, the vibrations from that arc literally made my floor vibrate - 50Hz via the the floorboards!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2020 8:29 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)

As a matter of interest, does anyone collect vintage electric kettles?

Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2020 3:13 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

@pye625

I do know of people who collect them, but my particular weakness is 'Belling' electric fires. The oldest one I have is c. 1920.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2020 4:13 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

@pye625 I believe there are kettle collectors, or moreover, "kitchenalia" so includes items like food mixers, cookers (remember 'Jamie' and his cast iron monster?), coffee percolators and small hand utensils, fridges, and even washing machines, mangles and other laundry machines.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2020 7:57 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

@cathovisor My grandparents had a small selection of real '20s and '30s beauties in the '60s and '70s. There was a delightful marbled enamel over cast iron electric fire at the Driffield Annual Vintage Auction about two or three years back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2020 8:01 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @cathovisor

@pye625

I do know of people who collect them, but my particular weakness is 'Belling' electric fires. The oldest one I have is c. 1920.

I've got one myself, not quite as old as yours. It's a floor-standing convector. Annoyingly I don't have the matching bracket that allows the feet to be removed and the heater hung from the wall.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2020 11:39 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

@ntscuser

Sounds interesting - any chance of a photograph sometime?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2020 11:28 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

@cathovisor

IMG 20200223 165815

It's still used occasionally.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2020 5:17 pm
Page 1 / 2