Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wanted: B&K 467 or above CRT tester / rejuvenator  

helloekco
(@helloekco)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I've been looking at these on eBay, but all are in the USA or Italy. Does anyone have one that they would be prepared to post? Before I go and do the daft thing and pay upwards of £70 to get one delivered from abroad on eBay!

Posted : 05/04/2020 1:49 pm
Topic Tags
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Just beware if you get one stateside it will run from a 115v mains supply not 240, so you will need a stepdown transformer as well.

"This is my multimeter. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My multimeter is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my multimeter is useless. Without my multimeter, I am useless."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2020 8:10 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Don't go paying that much! They do show up in this country, I got mine for £12.06 + £14.99 P&P back in 2011, I also had another given to me, but something went wrong with it and it was dishing out nasty shocks from the front panel, even though it still worked! I gave it away on the forum a few years ago in the end.

One thing to note is that they can read low on some mono CRT's, making you think its a dud but then surprising you when in the set it gives a good picture!

Regards,

Lloyd

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2020 8:12 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

I still have two here only one set of bases though, one needs a 7476 J-K bistable chip, and the other is faulty in a different way too, not for sale though.

I really should repair them both at some point.

I obtained these FOC from the (ex) boss of a shop where I used to work when it closed down about 20 years ago, apparently the last 'whizzkid' that worked there blew them both up testing fully charged tubes, kids eh ?

"This is my multimeter. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My multimeter is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my multimeter is useless. Without my multimeter, I am useless."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2020 8:21 pm
helloekco
(@helloekco)
Posted by: @red_to_black

Just beware if you get one stateside it will run from a 115v mains supply not 240, so you will need a stepdown transformer as well.

Thanks, yes I can live with that - I have a couple of 115v appliances already, so a step down autotransformer isn't a problem.

There's currently one I'm looking at from Italy though, but... @lloyd that's one of the sort of price I mentioned unfortunately. I've seen that a few have sold on eBay for much more reasonable prices in the recent past, there just isn't anything right now. But I'm going to give the rejuvenation technique detailed elsewhere on this forum a go first, I'll hold off on the rash eBay purchase I think.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2020 11:01 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Whilst a lot of people consider the B-K 467 the ne plus ultra of CRT testers, don't overlook the Leader LCT-910A.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2020 9:42 am
crustytv liked
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Conversely, if you ever come across (cue scary music & thunder clap) a "Video Circuits" Tube tester..... please, please as Dione Warwick once sang, "Walk on by". These testers are the devils work, cheap nasty and will strip the tubes cathode if you even so much as look at the Kill switch rejuvenate button.

I have a B-K 467 and a Leader LCT-910A. The B-K has by far the best tickle options starting with the superb "clean & Balance" not found on the Leader, this has brought many a tube back for me without having to resort to the further options available.

The B-K as Lloyd has already stated, tends to report B&W tubes to be much lower than they actually are, as long as you're aware of this fact, you can resist an unnecessary tickle. Many examples of the B-K 467 in action can be found on my repair blogs, though not with B&W tubes.

The leader is my "go-to" tester for B&W tubes, although its perfectly adequate for colour. You can see the Leader in action here checking a Black and White AW21-11.

Another great tester which turns up infrequently is the Muter, and as we've discussed off-line, there's the HeathKit. Not forgetting all the period testers for the set you have, you can keep an eye out for likes of Radar, Beamac, Cossor and Murphy etc. I'm sure there are others but the makes escape me.

p.s.
Please take precautions if buying items from hot-spots such as Italy and the U.S. even internally from our own UK market. Quarantine anything for at least seven days and wash down with disinfectant before using. I've personally ceased all purchasing despite seeing things I would bid on. All Std mail here is handled with nitrial gloves, cleaned with wipes, zip-locked and quarantined for 3-4 days, better to err on the side of caution.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2020 11:54 am
helloekco liked
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

I have both the leader and B&K - the B&K won't do a triode tube though...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2020 3:25 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

I think my current count is 2x B-K 467, 1x Leader LCT-910A, 1x Video Circuits V31A, 2x Radar 202, 1x Radar (the original model) and a Beamec Mk. 1, which I've managed to lose the umbilical to!

Rather like my (at least) ten AVOmeters, I need a clearout. The older testers will do triode tubes, which as Doz points out, a B-K won't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2020 4:21 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

I had the borrow of a muter once, when our B+K broke, and we used to eek as much out of rental sets as possible. Tubes used to come up OK, but didn't seem to last as long, perhaps it was just a little "gentler" than the B+K... once the B+K came back, back out to the punter for a quick bop, and you'd not get a call back for a year 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2020 5:46 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Though I have none to spare, I have the three best supported testers above, B&K, Leader, and Muter. As Chris says, the Leader is the trusty old sheep dog you can rely on. The B&K has the best feature options. The Muter professes "Computer Controlled Rejuvenation" it works well for tubes in EOL condition, but I prefer not to use it for that because the spectacular 'fireworks display' in the CRT neck looks too violent for my liking - much the same as a bulb 'bopper' would produce.

One last ditch reactivation method I was shown by a TV engineer about 45 years ago, was to turn up both brightness and contrast controls to maximum, and gently tap the CRT neck with the handle of a small screwdriver.  I was very sceptical when I first heard of that, but 'Ralph' proved it to me one quiet Saturday afternoon. Be prepared to spend up to 20 minutes just tapping the CRT neck - and gently does it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2020 8:48 pm
helloekco liked
helloekco
(@helloekco)

Thanks everyone - sounds like either the B&K or the Leader is the one I want. I don’t currently have a triode tube, but who knows  one day - I quite fancy an earlier TV at some point. But I really like the sound of the B&K’s features. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2020 9:43 am