Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wanted: Movies on Philips N1700 (VCR-LP) videocassette  

Slartibartfast
(@slarti)
New V-Ratter Registered

Does anyone have any films on VCR-LP cassette, for the Philips N1700? I'm mostly interested in prerecorded tapes; not home recordings.

Based on the pictures at rewindmuseum.com I know that at least ten movies were released in the UK, including MASH and The French Connection.

If anyone here has some they're willing to sell, I'd be very grateful! Even if you're not willing to sell, I'd still be interested just to see some photos of the cassette and packaging.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 4:56 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I did have a copy of "Hello Dolly" purchased in the late 1970s for £29.99 from Laskys in London. I must have had more money than sense! Mind you a 130-min blank tape was of the order of £20. Even though it was a pre-recorded video the picture was not all that good and the sound quality was poor. The film was shown on the TV a few years later and I re-recorded over it and got a better copy. One thing about the original is that at the start you had around 5 minutes of starting music before it goes into the still of New York City.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 8:19 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: @abctelevision

[...] One thing about the original is that at the start you had around 5 minutes of starting music before it goes into the still of New York City.

That sounds very similar to the opening (Overture) music to 'West Side Story'. The first time I ever saw that, I wondered if the film had jammed, and left the sound running - mind you, I was only "yay high to a grasshopper".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2020 11:07 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @slarti

I'd still be interested just to see some photos of the cassette and packaging.

Nine tapes appeared on e-bay UK recently, I bid on Von Ryan but all the listings mysteriously disappeared. I suspect a private offer and deal was made too good to refuse. Shame, as like you I'd been waiting ages to find pre-recorded material. Probably for the best as I know I was going to spend way too much on getting Von Ryan. Ended up buying another N1500 instead with the money.

Anyway, I saved the listings photos for you, I forgot until Marion activated the thread again with a post.

vct 1
vct 2
vct 3

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2020 11:19 pm
Slartibartfast
(@slarti)
New V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv Thanks for the info and photos. Although I missed this auction, interesting to see the the photos nevertheless.

I'll need to review my eBay saved searches and email alerts to find out why I didn't get alerted about this listing 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2020 8:51 am