[Closed] Philips N1500 Service Manual: English Version

17 Posts
7 Users
27 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Edit:Thanks to a forum member I now have the original Philips N1500 manufacturers manual, complete in its Red binder, with all supplements. ? 

To be clear I have the Philips N1500 Service manual and its in the Data library but its the Dutch version.

However, although the circuit diagram and PCB layouts are perfectly fine to assist and notated in English, the whole manual, circuit description and technical details are all in Dutch. This makes trying to fathom how the player should function both electrically and mechanically or be serviced/aligned, very difficult.

I know I can use free online translation services such as Google translate but that in itself would be a laborious time consuming task as the manual is not OCR'd. I would therefore have to manually type in sentences/paragraphs one at a time in a hope I have the relevant part, Its just not really practical to do so.

Hence this service data request, would any member have a copy of the English version of the N1500 manual?

If so would it be possible to request a scan? If you do have the manual but no time or access to a scanner, would you forward on to me to scan? Perhaps if you do have the manual and its no longer required, would you consider allowing me to purchase it from you? In addition to purchasing I would also provide a high quality scanned PDF in return so in essence you would still have the manual.

In whatever case, all costs would be covered by me.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 10/01/2019 7:22 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Sorry, only two Dutch ones here.

Posted : 10/01/2019 10:04 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

I thought I might give this a try - but it would be lot of work! I took a snapshot of some of it and fed it to an on-line OCR site. Then I used my knowledge of Dutch [1] to weed out the obvious typos - eg: het (the) repeatedly came out as bet! I then fed it to Google translate which did a far better job than I expected. Here's the result.

Block diagram (see fig. 10)

The thick dashed line indicates the separation between front-end and recorder requirements.

An antenna amplifier (special section of U504) is supplied via the antenna input BU2 with antenna signal. This antenna amplifier serves to compensate for the signal loss in the next signal splitter.
An output of this signal splitter is connected to the UHF and VHF channel selectors.
The signal at the other output is amplified again and then via an in-coupling splitter at the antenna output supplied.

Luminance part

After the intermediate frequency amplifiers U506, U507 and the first section of U508, the 33.4 MHz sound carrier is suppressed even more. This extra suppression is necessary i.v. the still to be discussed working of the FAFA scheme. 

After the luminance detector, the luminance signal passes through delay line L510. This delay line serves to compensate for the transit time difference between the luminance and the chrominance signal produced in the front-end. After the delay line, the luminance signal is transmitted to the recorder section.

Chrominance

From the MF amplifier U507, the MF signal is applied to the chrominance detector U516. After the detector, the chrominance signal at constant burst amplitude is amplified by the controlled amplifier TS1403 and TS1404.

The chroma signal is then fed to the recorder section via amplifiers TS1405 and TS1406. The supply voltage of the transistors mentioned above is interrupted by the color remover TS1407-TS1409 as soon as no color signal is present. The color indicator light also controls LA2.

Phase discriminator U1507 and subcarrier oscillator U1506 are the same units used in KTV receivers.
Via emitter follower TS1410 the 4.43 MHz signal is applied to the recorder section. 

The chrominance signal can be switched off manually by pressing the push-button 17 ("ck"), SK9 is then opened.

I've no idea what the FAFA scheme is but the Dutch for colour is kleur and is obviously the k in KTV.

[1] Maar pas een heel klein beetje!

(But only a very small tiny bit) so don't get excited!

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 12/01/2019 4:01 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

That’s a great job, I will have a good read of it later.

I have not heard the term FAFA either.

Frank

Posted : 12/01/2019 5:03 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

It's OK, Frank - it turns out that it's the next section!

FAFA (fase afhankelijke automatische fijnafstemming)

= FAFA (phase dependent automatic fine tuning)

Posted : 12/01/2019 6:00 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

FAFA (phase dependent automatic fine tuning)

The FAFA circuit is responsible for the UHF and VHF channel selectors once they have been tuned to the desired channels. to vote in such a way that they are well attuned. This circuit is necessary because during recording, especially via timer, no visual control is possible on the progress of the tuning of the channel selectors. The FAFA circuit adjusts the channel selectors so that the 33.4 MHz sound carrier is suppressed as much as possible. Two 5.5 MHz sound MF signals are supplied to the FAFA unit U514. One originating from the sound MF amplifier U515 and one originating from the luminance detector U508. I.v.m. the additional 33.4 MHz suppression in U508 has given the last 5.5 MHz signal a different phase shift. The phase detector in the FAFA circuit generates a control voltage. This control voltage is in series with the tuning voltage for the varicap diode in the channel selectors.

During tuning of the channel selectors to the desired channels, this control voltage is short-circuited.

Sound

After the MF amplifier U506, U507 and the first section of U508, the MF signal is also fed to a separate sound detector in which the 5.5 MHz MF sound carrier (intercarrier signal) is obtained.
Subsequently, the sound MF signal in U515 is amplified and detected and supplied to the recorder section.

Posted : 12/01/2019 6:44 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

Modulator

As already mentioned, the luminance, chrominance and audio signals are supplied by the recorder section to the modulator part of the front-end. 

A synchronization signal also generated via the terminal TS4110 of the correct amplitude has been introduced via the gate circuit TS4100 to the modulator.  The gate circuit TS4100 is only open during the presence of the synchronization pulses.

The synchronization signal is also applied to the pulse generator TS1401. This gives an impulse to the clamping circuit TS4080 and, via TS1402, an impulse to the subcarrier phase discriminator U1507 during the backstep of the signal.

The luminance signal is applied to the modulator via emitter follower TS4070 after it has been clamped at a certain direct voltage level by TS4080. The emitter follower is set so that the synchronization pulses are not transmitted. Because the synchronization pulses previously supplied separately assume the location of the synchronization pulses removed in TS4070, the signal is provided with new, clean, synchronization pulses. The chrominance signal is connected via emitter follower TS4090 to the modulator. 

The audio signal is first put on a 5.5 MHz carrier FM modulated and then also fed to the modulator. The RF carrier supplied to the modulator is adjustable from channel 32 to 42. 

The luminance modulated on the radio frequency carrier, chrominance, audio and synchronization signals are then fed to the HF output via the coupling splitter, last section of U504, together with the antenna signals.

Posted : 13/01/2019 4:17 pm
hamid_1
(@hamid_1)
Reputable Member Registered

Seems like a good enough translation, though I'm sure you will have realised that the British version of the N1500 uses 6MHz sound subcarrier frequency instead of 5.5Mhz in the Dutch model. Of course, Google can't automatically translate that! ? 

Posted : 14/01/2019 12:22 am
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

Thankyou, Hamid. Of course, it isn't just the intercarrier sound - the IF frequencies are system B/G as well!

The main problem is with the OCR. I'm using  http://www.free-online-ocr.com/ which I've found to be very good in the past but it seems to have an embedded English dictionary so, if in doubt, it finds the best match in English - thus bet for het and a few other English words that crop up from time to time. 

Ah, yes - just found this: Free Online OCR features an integrated dictionary that increases the accuracy of text recognition.

I will look to see if it is possible to change it but, as it is an online service, I doubt it.

Posted : 14/01/2019 7:21 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)

Sorry for my late reply but I did have a N1500 english service manual about a couple of years ago. I gave it to a friend. I have contacted him and he has it somewhere. I will be round at his house this weekend and will see if he has found it. will let you know.

Posted : 18/02/2019 10:47 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)

n1500 first page1
n1500 first page1

I now have the English version of the N1500 service manual. (see attached photo front page). At the back are additional service information on yellow pages. I have the English user manual and also promotional material from Philips about the N1500. My friend  is happy for you to borrow it and maybe scan it but he would eventually like it back. Please let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Posted : 21/02/2019 6:05 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Dave thanks for your efforts and apologies for the delay in responding, I've been rather distracted with setting up the "Wall", updating the site software and playing with my new Camcorder. Another member Jon (TVJon74) about a week or so ago, obtained the UK version of the Philips N1500 manual from a TV engineer who used to service these VCR's. As far as I'm aware, he is in the process of scanning it and once complete, he will be uploading this to me for inclusion in the data library.

I think this is the better option, posting rare documents twice (to me, then back to you) is way too risky with the naff postal system we have nowadays. I've had stuff go missing before and its just not worth the hassle or heartache when things go pear shaped and you can bet sods law dictates something will go amiss. Once again though, thanks for offering to help.

Posted : 22/02/2019 8:53 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)

Thanks for letting me know. In the meantime If you need an odd page or two scanning let me know. I have a N1502 in the loft it was working 10years ago!

Posted : 22/02/2019 9:11 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

Chris, does the manual that Jon is scanning for you include the "additional service information on yellow pages" that Dave's copy has?

There might be something important in them!

Posted : 01/03/2019 1:50 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)

For some reason my post got deleted when I tried to add a picture of a yellow page I scanned.

To repeat. After reading Terry's post I have scanned the Repair Method part 2b in English and all the yellow pages. File size is 27M iand consists of 57 pages. If you want it uploaded can someone tell me how. Thanks.

smp1

Posted : 01/03/2019 9:46 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Thanks to @tvjon74, all 131 pages of the full English version of the Philips N1500 service manual which includes all the supplements, schematics, plan views, modifications and service updates was scanned to high quality .PNG images.

This morning I have now taken these images and built them back into one large PDF document for the data library. Its large at just under 1Gigabyte, the quality is second to none. 

Thanks to Jon for taking the time to scan and caring about the scanning quality. I know all too well having scanned many hundreds of documents now, how mind numbingly boring scanning can be and 131 pages stretches that to the extreme. 

Posted : 21/03/2019 12:56 pm
Jayceebee, Lloyd, Red_to_Black and 12 people reacted
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable Member Registered

Cheers Chris,

I always try to get the scans as good as I can and if I'm not happy I will keep trying until I am. Hopefully it will be useful to those who have a machine. It actually wasn't that bad in the end. The worst bit is getting the fan fold pages to stay straight in the scanner and having enough overscan so you can stitch the pages back together.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 22/03/2019 9:33 pm
Share: