[Closed] Radio Rentals Model 340

8 Posts
2 Users
18 Likes
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

I am looking for a circuit diagram for a MRG Tv which is a Radio Rentals Model 340. Can anyone advise. thank you.

Posted : 20/02/2019 8:35 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

You'll have a devil of a job finding data for MRG, was the model number a typo? would your set be a 430 and not 340, if so then see here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64871

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 20/02/2019 11:12 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)
Topic starter

Its a 14 inch MRG TV. The chassis is mounted horizontally with the IF stage on the RHS on its own metal sub-panel  (from rear).  There are two model identification tags, one on top of the other. The red bottom one says Radio Rentals property model number 340. On top of that is a black plate which says Radio Rentals purchase  model 340.

I have looked at the photo of the one in your link. That model is totally different. No PCB's on this one!

Posted : 21/02/2019 6:25 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)
Topic starter

Success! Thanks to the data library and L.L.J. (PT Dec 64) I have now more or less got a circuit diagram for the MRG model 340.

Posted : 22/02/2019 4:15 pm
Red_to_Black, crustytv, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I know this data request is over a year ago now and you found the LLJ article in the library. However, on the off chance you're still stumped on your repair, I've just acquired a whole raft of rare RR service data manuals, see here. If you still need the 340 data I can put it on the list of jobs to scan. ? 

Posted : 04/03/2020 5:30 pm
Red_to_Black, Doz, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)
Topic starter

@crustytv

Hi, Thanks for that. I did get the TV working just using LLJ circuit diagrams. It would be good to have a complete circuit diagram, so can you add it to your list!

Thank you Chris,

Dave

Posted : 05/03/2020 9:14 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

@abctelevision

The 1962 service manual for the Radio Rentals 340/390 series has been scanned, it now resides in the data library. ? 

Note: Among many items like circuit description, alignment instruction, cct diagrams, plan views etc, the manual also contains a number of stock faults, their cause and cure.

rrman

Trivia: It's interesting to note that in the 1964 LLJ 'Television' service article, Les explains he had received many queries from readers regarding RR sets. All due to the fact service data for these Radio Rentals sets was unobtanium even back then, we can count ourselves lucky.

Posted : 06/03/2020 10:35 am
Red_to_Black, Nuvistor, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)
Topic starter

Thanks Chris. I have downloaded a copy. One thing about this set is that it may have had a 12 channel tuner but RR only supplied 2 biscuits for ch2 and 10 so I guess it would have been used originally around Yorkshire!

Posted : 06/03/2020 10:13 pm
Share: