RBM TV IF and sweep and marker generator info

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
freya
(@freya)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Picked up another oddball bit of test gear, looks complete except the case was bent and twisted out of shape.

Looking for any info whatsoever on this please, its 625 and 405 line.

thanks for looking.

new

Posted : 26/01/2020 8:41 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Haven't seen one of those since the early 70s but never saw it in use so don't know if it's just a maker unit or if it sweeps too as it suggests. Nice find though and I hope you get some info to get it fully working, we had a cupboard full of test equipment much of which never saw the light of day and also a Murphy TPG11 which cropped up in a thread here a few years ago. 

I don't know about your unit but the TPG11 was put into a false wall together with a range of TV and radios, some pre-war when the shop was refitted in 1974. The shop has closed as a TV dealership in the late 80s and has changed ownership and use several times, I very much doubt they have not been discovered by now and probably scrapped.

John.

Posted : 26/01/2020 10:48 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Not seen that one before, I had a couple of pieces of RBM test equipment, UHF signal strength meter and a 405/625 crosshatch gen, both got lots of use.

Frank

Posted : 27/01/2020 8:11 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Still have mine.  It was bought sometime in the late sixties.  Hasn't been used for many years.  The case has indentations on the top so that the matching RBM supplied oscilloscope could fit securely.  The 'scope used by me in those times was a Telequipment S31. Still have that instrument.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 27/01/2020 11:03 am
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable Member Registered

I've still got my pattern generator but its rather rusty on the bottom and it doesn't work either. I might get round to fixing it one day perhaps.

Cheers

Neil.

Posted : 27/01/2020 1:24 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Here's my RBM sweep generator with the Telequipment S31 oscilloscope.     It's been a long time since these instruments have shared a workbench.

Till Eulenspiegel.

RBM wob

Posted : 28/01/2020 10:17 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The need for a TV sweep gen diminished with the introduction of the SAW filters in the IF amplifier.

I had a Samwell Hutton one, about the size of an Advance E2, excellent item, used with a Telequipment scope. 

When I left the shop there was a lot of very good test equipment that I regularly used, but from what could gather it then gathered dust.

Frank

Posted : 28/01/2020 4:09 pm
freya
(@freya)
Topic starter

Amazing interest in this, my plan was to use it to check some 405 line sets. Im not confident in the method yet though.

Posted : 28/01/2020 7:20 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Pye625 of this parish has some experience in using sweep generators, as does young Mr. Crusty.

Posted : 28/01/2020 10:42 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Firstly, I would probably say that is it useful to have a set that is already in good working order with decent service data that contains an alignment procedure with illustrations of the waveforms. This way, it should be possible to get an idea of the kind of results to expect if the generator is working as it should.

Obviously, no actual adjustments to the good set should be made, but to follow the procedure will give you a general feel for the equipment and an idea of what to aim for with a set that does require alignment.

However, to start to make adjustments to a set that is otherwise seemingly good as far as alingment goes, runs the risk of being spoiled..... especially if a ferrite slug in a core breaks and becomes jammed. But you don't need me to teach any grandmother to suck eggs !

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 29/01/2020 5:38 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I also think there's some sage advice on here from our departed member Mr. Casey on this matter too.

Posted : 30/01/2020 6:41 pm
Share: