Philips C.E.S. Serv...

Notifications
Clear all

Philips C.E.S. Service Link Arrives at Radios-TV

Page 1 / 2

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Just added to the Data library, the popular trade publication C.E.S. Service link. Look for the CES folder, it contains all the publications from 1968 - 1982. If you're looking for a particular Philips hot tip, then look no further.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/04/2017 7:41 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Hi Chris,

Looking forward to the CES docs, they covered Pye/Ekco as well as Philips.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2017 10:57 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Just added a couple of more CES documents. Those of you in the trade may remember "S" Pack Components and Service Aids. These can be found under the Service | CES section above.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/04/2017 8:45 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Just like to say Chris that these Service Links are a goldmine of information. Much of this was only available to Philips service agents or account holders. It's just a pity that the parts they refer to are no longer available from spares.....!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2017 9:05 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

Judging by the number of modifications announced, it's a mystery how anything worked in the first place?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2017 9:08 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

ntscuser said
Judging by the number of modifications announced, it's a mystery how anything worked in the first place?  

I know, and I was always fairly critical of Philips for this in the past, as you rarely ever saw identical sets twice wink

In fact it had gotten truly horrendous by the time some of the "global/core chassis" came about later (L01.X) with product diversity tables marked with a star on almost every other component! ,especially where the base manual covered all versions (20" up to 32") except the one version you happened to have in front of you !

However I have changed my outlook somewhat after reading those CES documents, even they were as confused as much as I was regarding the sheer amount of variations, I truly do have a greater respect for them than I once did, it must have been very difficult (almost impossible) for a multinational company to keep track of changes worldwide with many different factories and suppliers, bearing in mind this was before computers as we know them today, even with, it would be a struggle.

After all they were forced into a lot of changes due to production shortages, changes of spec from outside of their control, having to select alternative suppliers etc...etc. at that point in time.

I am still in two minds about some practices though, obviously component supply/spec changes was almost certainly outside of their control at some point in times past, also they did strive for best possible performance and reliability, investigated every problem to a degree probably above most other manufactures of the time and I can't really fault that attitude, except commercially maybe.

Then on the other hand they could never really seem to settle on a finalised design, they were always fiddling about making change after change after change, it is one thing to try and be the best you can and another to know when that is really as good as it needs to be, it must have cost them an absolute fortune for all of the running changes and modifications, I am surprised it never bankrupted them.

I have said this before, and I still wonder if they tried to design to too tight tolerances, especially in latter years, essentially when they owned practically all of the supply chain themselves at that point in time.

Some stuff seemed to be designed down to the nth degree only to be needed to be changed and modified further down the line to take into account real world tolerances instead of laboratory conditions, this was almost entirely self inflicted on their part without a doubt.

This bit is probably being a bit unfair to them, but I wonder also if some stuff was rushed out, and was a 'beta product' if you like, and then tested out in the real world with modifications after the fact to pick up the pieces ?  I don't actually really believe that, or at least not fully, maybe "cutting edge" is a bit fairer than "beta" grin_gif, again though this must have cost dearly.

Maybe they really were just truly perfectionists with a penchant for OCD where design was concerned ?

One thing is for certain though they invested a lot of time, money and effort into research and development, they also came up with some bloody good ideas and products too along the way, I for one take my hat (if I had one) off to them, I always did respect them, even if it was through gritted teeth sometimes as I was doing battle with one of their products.

Oh! and a big thanks to Chris for sharing these interesting documents with us.cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2017 2:54 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Red_to_Black

Oh! and a big thanks to Chris for sharing these interesting documents with us.

Thanks Baz, lets also not forget that Jon ( TVJON74) has supplied half of them using the new member file upload service, thanks Jon thumb_gif

Chris said

I had 22 copies in a bound CES folder ( binder features in issue 12) covering 1968 - 1972 but that was it. Happily forum member TVJON74 contacted me and managed to add to that tally.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/04/2017 10:09 am
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Oops! Sorry Jon, for missing you out embarassed

A big thanks to both of you cheers, that made for some very interesting reading.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2017 1:31 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

There's more on the way so keep an eye on the section.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/04/2017 1:44 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Issue 35 & 40 uploaded

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/04/2017 1:50 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

1975's suite of service links have now been uploaded.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/04/2017 10:56 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

1976 uploaded although we are missing issue 48 so if anyone has a copy..........

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/04/2017 9:49 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Great work Chris and Jon thumb_gif, how I wish I'd known about the mod to stop the K70 line shift pot burning out in issue 19 nuts_gif

and what about that G8 jig.

John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2017 10:08 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

You wait till you see the N1500 jig in issue 49!

Really enjoying reading bits and bobs as I scan.

Jon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2017 10:13 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

1977 added

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/04/2017 12:04 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Can't wait to see what, if any, info there is on N1700 VCRs!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/04/2017 10:28 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Katie_Bush said
Can't wait to see what, if any, info there is on N1700 VCRs!  

There is a bit on N1700 in issue 54. Keep an eye out for the 1978 issues Marion that's when N1700 seems to start to be included.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/04/2017 10:54 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

1978 is now online, that's 10 years worth thus far!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/04/2017 9:03 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

We're almost at the end now, just added years 1979 and 1980. All that's left to do are issues 72,73,74,75, and 77 from 1981 then we're done.

Finally, where we have them each year will be shortly having its index uploaded. This will be a great help if you're searching for a particular mod or service query on a particular item. You should be able to quickly see what issue it is contained within, thereby saving time not having to search 13 years worth of documents. We have all the indexes but not for the first 7 issues so a little searching on those may still be required. It might even be the case one was not produced for the first few.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/04/2017 11:25 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Look forward to reading them, hopefully back in the UK tonight so I can use something's other than my phone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2017 11:55 am
Page 1 / 2