12.9%
Retired, thereby default isolating  -  votes: 8 / 25.8%
25.8%

Covid-19; CoronaVirus  

Page 4 / 6

Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

@sideband And worryingly, they'll one day get the power to vote. . .  God save us all. . .

If it ain't fixed, don't break it!............

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2020 10:16 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

No doubt if one of them got the virus, they'd expect to be up front for treatment.....!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2020 10:19 pm
Alex728
(@alex728)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

I'm still at work but for some years have worked remotely for at least part of the week anyway; although I have had to make visits to the office to configure equipment for other workers who are now increasingly working remotely and we are using videoconferencing for meetings between offices in two different villages rather than face to face meetings.

I work in IT for a healthcare provider so am classed as key worker.

Have had to stop all volunteer work with the community radio stations for the moment which is a shame but I can't risk increasing hazards when travelling to sites for the day job (although they are apparently classed as public service broadcasting) and the other lad has deployed a lot of clever technology so many presenters (a lot of whom are in their 70s and over) can broadcast from home..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 12:49 am
FIXITNOW2003
(@fixitnow2003)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I am still at work as we are making lots off these 7 days a week  and up to 10 hour days while we can still get enough parts 

http://www.thermoteknix.com/products/oem-thermal-imaging/fevir-scan-fever-screening-system/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 8:01 am
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Very moving at 8pm tonight, the silence broken by a wave of clapping and cheering echoing throughout our neighbourhood. Who's cutting Onions!! 😭 

There's a large modern hospital (Tony Blair's gift after his election win to county Durham) at the end of our road, I hope all the docs, nurses and staff heard, and know how much we all appreciate them being in the front line of this battle.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 9:28 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

During last week's stay in hospital, I had the misfortune to be locked down in a room with a patient suspected of being infected with CoVid-19 (later turned out be negative). . . I had to be 'swabbed' before I left the hospital, and have spent the week in self isolation. . . Today I got the results of the swabs. . . I'm relieved to say they came back as negative.

I could have remained in hospital, but I chose to self discharge and wait it out at home. I'm glad I did because it would otherwise have meant being kettled up in a ward with several other potentially infected patients. . . During this week, one patient has died of CoVid-19.

Makes you stop and think. . . . .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 9:38 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I wasn't sure what the uptake would be for this "clap for the carers", so instead I took my tripod and phone outside earlier today and did a 15-second piece to camera before sending it to my sister and brother-in-law directly via WhatsApp - both are NHS employees. I did hear some applause outside.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 11:00 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @crustytv

I hope all the docs, nurses and staff heard, and know how much we all appreciate them being in the front line of this battle.

Not everybody does: someone was yelling "scab!" at a friend of my sister's when she went for her "NHS hour" shopping. Errr.... why?

Blimey, even in my days standing on picket lines back in the '80s I never called anyone a scab.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 11:03 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

@cathovisor I heard at least one person in our village, clapping at eight'o, so i joined in. We were a long way apart, and I clapped until my palms became sore, and when i stopped, I couldn't hear anyone else clapping

I guess the uptake was a bit low, out here in the countryside, either because no one could care less, or be cause folk felt awkward with it, but it's not something I expect see or hear again in my lifetime. It costs nothing, it didn't hurt anyone, so why not?

Trouble is in my village, there is no real community spirit. Sad to say it's just another dormitory serving Leeds, Hull, and several smaller centres. The true villagers are either all dead and buried, or have been priced out of the village by the relentless ingress of wealthy "off'cum'duns". No one knows the person next door, and none use facilities in the area. If you're native to the area, you are most definitely in the minority.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 11:26 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @cathovisor

I wasn't sure what the uptake would be for this "clap for the carers", 

A well intentioned but unfortunate script. OK "Applaud the carers" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Peter 🙄 

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 11:29 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I can't work from home, so my company said I should stay at home until further notice & they would sort out the 80% government payment.

There wasn't an option for this above.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 11:37 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Posted by: @katie-bush

No one knows the person next door, and none use facilities in the area. If you're native to the area, you are most definitely in the minority.

That’s a shame, I am lucky most of the residents in the street have been here at least 20 years and some like me 50. We all know each other and try to look out for each other. A bit more difficult now but we talk over the fence but keep our distance. Talk on the phone or just a wave if passing the house. Put the bins out earlier for my next door neighbour, she is in her 80’s.

Two families across the street have been over to me about shopping. One brought me bread and milk last weekend. I have plenty food in, always have decent store cupboard and managed an online shop delivery yesterday.

I was born about 500 yards from where I now live, not moved very far but the village is now much bigger than the 1950’s, many of the fields are now houses.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2020 12:22 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @richardfrommarple

I can't work from home, so my company said I should stay at home until further notice & they would sort out the 80% government payment.

There wasn't an option for this above

It was difficult to think of all the permutations. In your case, to take part in the poll, I would choose the "working from home" as your option choice. 👍 

Reason; although you're not officially performing work function related tasks, you are being paid (albeit 80%). The task your company have set you, to stay safe until they call you back. Therefore, I would suggest you are working from home to stay safe.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2020 8:05 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I was surprised how many in our road actually came out and clapped. My wife and daughter work for the NHS so they were first out clapping and cheering. Many of the neighbours joined in.

As expected though, certain ones didn't....the ones that also think that social distancing doesn't apply to them when all their mates come round messing around with their bikes and doing wheelies along the empty road.....however of course they expect to be first in the queue when they need treatment.....

My son sent a WhatsApp from where he lives where everyone was clapping....just at the moment a nurse walked past and the clapping became a cheer......

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2020 11:12 am
Page 4 / 6