Data Library

15 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

I'm trialing new ideas and data delivery software on elements of the data library.

You will find the "Practical Television" magazines and LLJ articles are now utilising this new software. Presentation is a lot slicker and offers me greater control and statistical analysis at the back-end. A nice feature for members being you don't have to download if you do not wish to as there is a preview window. Obviously only really beneficial to those viewing on a tablet or PC/Mac but its great if you're just quickly looking for something.

Another feature I've introduced is under the "Service" | "Black & White TV" | "Servicing the B&W Sets". This new feature is aimed at guests, it allows them a limited search of the B&W TV service data as free-to-view. Hopefully it may encourage/convince folk to join and further earn full access to the data library by becoming full active members of our community.

I will as and when time permits, and if the software proves stable, start porting over the remainder of the library. for now se what you think.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 08/10/2017 7:22 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I was looking at the audio brochures earlier and noticed the search facility under “Service”,I will take a look at that section.

Frank

Posted : 08/10/2017 8:53 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Remember its limited and will only return info for some B&W receivers, as I say aimed at guests and perhaps converting them to members.

Posted : 08/10/2017 9:05 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Chris,

The search arrow just spins and nothing else occurs, left it searching Sobell and again after reloading the page with Ekco but it just stays spinning.

The other comment is the captcha, it’s  coloured writing on a black background, the background also has lots of different coloured specs, I found it hard and sometimes impossible to read.

Not sure if it’s connected but while searching, accessing the site in another tab is very slow, to test I tried loading other sites and they were ok. Don’t know if it’s  connected.

Using an iPad with latest IOS, if you want me to try my computer I will.

Frank

Posted : 08/10/2017 9:14 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

nuvistor said
Hi Chris,

The search arrow just spins and nothing else occurs, left it searching Sobell and again after reloading the page with Ekco but it just stays spinning.  

Hi Chris,

I had the same problem with a couple of Practical Television, just 4 little loading box's spinning away. I'm using W10

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 08/10/2017 9:47 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The filter you have fitted makes the search quicker and seems to be working ok now. I was able to find results for Ekco under LLJ.

Frank

Posted : 08/10/2017 10:00 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

The never ending search was caused by a mis-configuration on my part, I had set the search to interrogate every document loaded in the library rather than just the document title. So for example, you can imagine searching for EKCO within a few thousand documents each containing many pages, with many words, the search was almost certainly going to run for a very lengthy amount of time.

Excuse? Tired embarassed

Posted : 08/10/2017 11:27 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Not a problem, it’s a new feature and you said you were trialing it. Has long as you are ok with us reporting on its performance.

Yes tired, it’s late, all day tomorrow untouched.

Frank

Posted : 08/10/2017 11:33 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Testing the search facility again, notice the filter selection as gone. It’s now very fast, working well.

Are you just searching titles now?

Frank

Posted : 09/10/2017 3:19 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Frank,

yes its searching as it should titles rather than content. Its fast because as I said last night, I had configured it incorrectly to search the document contents. With many thousands of items in the library that have many pages the search was timing out and hogging sever resources.

By the way that page your using is for guests as it say in the page description. Full members should be using the main data library page. I'm making progress porting data in and will provide its own search engine soon, hopefully by the end of the day.

Posted : 09/10/2017 4:40 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Yes I realise it a guest page, just looking around, can you do anything with the captcha, I still have difficulty reading it. Appreciate I don’t need it but if someone tries to use it to contact you they may have the same problem.

Frank

Posted : 09/10/2017 4:48 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

nuvistor said
 can you do anything with the captcha, I still have difficulty reading it. Appreciate I don’t need it but if someone tries to use it to contact you they may have the same problem.  

I get no end of guests using the contact forms, Its meant to be hard, that's the point. I'll look into reducing the noise, but only a little.

Posted : 09/10/2017 5:05 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Fair enough Christhumb_gif

Frank

Posted : 09/10/2017 5:09 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

The bulk of the data migration has now taken place and I have modified the members data library page. I hope I've made it simple to understand, breaking it down into distinct functions. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so hopefully this will help more than me rambling on.

datalib1.png

As mentioned above the access via the B&W servicing page is for guests only, members should not use that page but use the main data library portal.

Guests only get a limited return of info.

datalib2.png

Posted : 10/10/2017 11:33 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Chris,

The new layout of members data library page is very good indeed, far better and easier than before. thumb_gif

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 10/10/2017 11:55 am
Share: