4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Rare to find these days are Ferranti product brochures. I've just added

Hope you find them as interesting to see as I did. If anyone out there has any Ferranti colour TV examples I would dearly like to add them. All I have is a sales sign for a CT1166 for the CTV brochure section.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 06/05/2018 9:42 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The similarities to the Ekco models is very easy to see, we had both dealerships, apart from trim it made repairs and spares simpler.

Ferranti tended to use Philips rotary tuners whereas Ekco used more push button types,  although those leaflets show Ferranti with push buttons as well.

One thing I learned very quickly was don’t put the sets with Philips VHF tuners face down with the weight on the tuner knob, always support the cabinet.  Failure to do that usually resulted in a faulty tuner, the more robust rotary tuners used in the Ekco sets didn’t suffer that problem although good practice was still to support the cabinet so no weight was on the knobs.

Frank

Posted : 06/05/2018 10:04 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

When i started in the trade in 1970 i serviced loads of the 1123/1125. Pye 11u chassis, poor on UHF.

Posted : 06/05/2018 12:07 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Yes the 11u was one of the earlier chassis, two versions, later versions had much more gain but still hobbled by the valve UHF tuner. I had the later version as my home TV, with a strong  signal, which we had, the performance was very good. We used it on UHF only from 1970.

The best valve UHF tuners were made by Philips, not as sensitive as a good transistor tuner but better than most.

I haven’t got the circuit to hand but think the later version 11u used Frame Grid valve in the last IF, earlier versions used a PCF80, later versions also seperate gain controls for each standard which also helped get the balance correct.

Not until the first transistor UHF tuners arrived that the noise performance of UHF became usable in weaker signal areas. Theses started to appear in 1965 with some makers getting to grips with the technology better than others.

Frank

Posted : 06/05/2018 1:24 pm
Share: