New Forum Sub Section

4 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Recent online and past off-line discussions with members, has led me to create a new sub-forum under "General Tech Discussion".

The "New" section being, "Vintage Computing & Consoles".

Note:
We'll see how it goes with regard to its popularity, that will ultimately decide if it warrants staying part of Vrat.

If it proves to be a tumble weed section, any posts made would be relocated to the parent forum "General Tech Discussion" prior to its removal. Hopefully members will embrace the new section, however please do not use it for reporting or seeking help with modern computer related problems, this is not what its meant for.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 11/04/2020 7:31 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Vintage computing, does this come into that area, worked with this an similar for many years, one photo from middle 70’s, I repaired them early 80’s, other from early 80’s.

78683E4C 9899 4711 B933 3A52F35DA557
AC35402B D321 4C2C 84C6 5B984C18BB80

I won’t be on the look out for them, a bit too power and space required. The large cut out appears to be for a mag tape unit, presume the wrong door was fitted perhaps all that was available. The tape unit would have been in a similar 56inch cabinet.

The BW photo as a model 7/32 with two 5+5MB disc  Systems, the other as an Ampex dis, 16MB removable and 16 to 80Mb fixed depending on model.

Frank

Posted : 11/04/2020 10:23 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @nuvistor

Vintage computing, does this come into that area,

Hi Frank, I think the new section's description clearly answered your question, ? the section is for consumer grade, not corporate (see attached). Anything else, especially mainframes, has always been discussed in the "General Tech Discussion" parent forum.

comps

p.s.
I know a man with a barn, in that barn is an old ICL 2900 series, the exact one I used to work on back in the early 1980's. I used to install, maintain/patch/code and frequently dump-crack the base and superstructure on this series. He asked me If I might be interested in assisting to get it going again, I paused, nostalgia.....then answered with an emphatic "No Thanks".

Posted : 11/04/2020 11:24 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

To avoid any further confusion, as stated in the above post, the new section is for consumer grade  vintage computer or console threads, not vintage corporate hardware.

As a precaution I will also restate it is not, I repeat not, to be used to report faults with your current PC, Laptop, tablet hardware or operating system/software/browser faults.

The new section is for folk who have an interest in vintage items as listed in the sub-forum's description field.

Thanks ? 

Posted : 12/04/2020 12:14 pm
Share: