18 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi folks,

Another long winded verbose post from me, best have a tea or coffee to hand.

Before Getting To The Changes, Lets Discuss The Web-Site Journey

Setting the forum element aside for the moment, we'll return to that a little later.

The websites (not forum) original focus was to promote early U.K. Colour TV, an area I felt severely lacking any form of promotion. As I've said in the past many times before, plenty of sites were promoting Radio & B&W 405-line TV, virtually none for early UK colour. At the time just one chap blazing a lone trail in that area, that being Mikey and a grand job he did too. In fact "The Mike and Taz show" being my inspiration to move over to the "dark-side" back in 2012. Therefore since 2012, I joined the quest and that's exactly what I set about helping to change.

Over the intervening years I built up the brochures, stock faults, service tips and service data and collection. Further promoting early colour TV via my collection repair blogs with lots of internal, detailed repair photos. These have been greatly received by many ex-trade who made contact via the site thanking me for such detailed shots. Stating how it brought back fond memories for them, some have even gone on to join us, three just this week, a steady trickle of ex trade.

The work on colour promotion is far from over but significant inroads have been made in promoting the site. Pretty much any search for a UK colour TV now returns a Radios-TV link.The exposure is getting there,we're listed at online-geeks, I've had BBC researcher contact and recently "Which" magazine. The original goal still exists and work will continue on promoting UK early colour, but I can afford to relax just a little. I now feel the time is right to focus on further development of the Radios-TV site.

What Are These Web-Site Changes and Will They Spoil The Web-Site?

Short answer is no, these changes should I believe, enhance the web-site.

The long answer, as some of you might have seen recently when navigating the 'Nav-Bar' above, there's been a few changes, rearranges and additions. Even the site logo/header now reflects the variety of equipment, with just one lone CTV at the back. Everything that was there before is still there now, its just moved about. This is to accommodate the new features and developments.

I'm putting the "Radio" and more, back into Radios-TV. Colour promotion will still be very much at the forefront but the net will be spread a little wider. Mindful however of three things :-

1. Not turning into a clone of already existing web-sites.
  2. Not making the mistake of excluding other areas as I originally found back in 2012 with regards to colour
  3. Finally not making my brief too wide.

As I say above, I don't want to replicate or clone so the emphasis will be on the period brochures from 1967-1977. The "hybrid" period, as thermionics were making way for the inevitable explosion and march towards transistorisation and i.c. Let me be clear this is only in reference to the brochures, trade papers and articles that I'm publishing on the web-ste, nothing else.

So up above via the nav bar we have :-

• "Info" - Primarily covering early colour trade publications, test reports, articles, Mags and catalogues. This will be extended as and when found, categories to cover the wider scope.
  • "Televisions" - Covering Colour, Black & White, dual and single standard TV's, Brochures and my collections.
  • "VCR-Laser" - Covering Brochures, will feature my collection of early VCR and stock faults etc
  • "Audio" - Covering transistor radio brochures, Record player Brochures, Music centre Brochures and other such home entertainment of that period such as cassette decks etc.
  • "Service" - Fault knowledge base, Color Stock faults and servicing guides, Black & White stock faults and servicing guides. Radio repair guide. Last but not least access to the main Data Library
  • "Forum" - Self explanatory
  • "Guestbook" - Self explanatory
  • "Other" - About, contact, privacy, members uploads etc
Is Anything Changing On The Forum?

No, as I said above the changes are in relation to the web-site.

On the forum you will have noticed small enhancements, sub categories turned up in an attempt to make it easier for folk to find and place posts. Sectional icon graphics turned up for each section, again this sets us apart from the more traditional approaches older forums take. Our new forum home, the integrated forum at Radios-TV, is coming along nicely, steady growth over 12 months since we relocated from VRAT,  no major changes are necessary at present.

One of the many criticisms leveled at me on the VRAT was that colour TV dominated all things, however when you actually boiled it down, ran the stats, a different story unfolded.

B&W on VRAT actually out performed colour threads, but on the surface the "colour repair mob" seemed and probably were more active than anyone else, so that just gave the wrong impression. As I always stated if your interest is radio, B&W TV or test equipment and want more threads of that Ilk, then you have to get posting, activity breeds activity.

At Radios-TV forum, I deliberately structured it differently, B&W TV and Colour TV are split, this to make it a lot easier for all to see the stats. If anyone still thinks this forum is purely about colour TV, you only have to look at the post numbers, its visible for all to see, B&W is clearly out in front.

We've been at our new forum home one year now and I hope its felt all folk, from all disciplines are welcome here. However it is equally clear I need to do more to encourage the radio/record/amp/test equipment folk, and that brings me neatly back full circle to the changes currently being implemented.

To be very clear, just because the main site will be focusing on 1967-1977, It does not mean that any current or prospective member interested in valve radios from the 1930's onward is not welcome, they/you are. Its just as I say a smaller, less covered window for me to promote, sets Radios-TV aside from what other Vintage websites are covering.

So on our forum you are encouraged to work, rest and play with any vintage radio/tv/amp etc from any period of your choice. I should be able to help with almost any service data except where its rare, very early or post 85.

Finally

To clarify once again, the main changes are in purely in reference to the scope of brochures, trade papers and articles that I'm publishing on the web-site, nothing else.

I hope this helps to keep you informed of the direction everything is going in. I hope everyone feels included and sorry to have likely bored you rigid. If you've made it this far and read all the above, well done! I can see you're glazed over and probably need to lay down noweek_gif

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 27/09/2017 9:32 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Well there you are, I have just sat down with a cup of tea after mowing the lawn and this was the first item I opened.laugh

All understood Chris, I am always on the look out for brochures etc but I don’t seem to see any in the circles I am involved with. Any info I do come across will come your way but I think being realistic, don’t hold your breath. I used to get to a few rallies but I am usually at the wrong end of the country when they are on these days.

I am often looking through the rest of the site, service library included as you will probably see in the site logs.

Thanks, I do appreciate the site.

Frank

Posted : 27/09/2017 11:13 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Just added a load of 1974/75 Grundig brochures to the Audio section up top. Radios, Cassettes, Reel-to-Reel, RadioGrams and Music centre. Also some Ferguson music centre's and radios etc and AKAI stuff.

p.s

I would love to find the Quadraphonic 2040SQ with the Audiorama 4000 speakers...........Drooooool! Bet it wasn't cheap at the time either.

Posted : 28/09/2017 10:06 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I have a large number of Grundig brochures from the core years - do you want me to add them to the list for scanning?

Posted : 28/09/2017 12:11 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine grin_gif

Yes please thumb_gif

Posted : 28/09/2017 12:19 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I can see that once I've got the jobs around the house done, I'm going to be chained to that scanner... especially when the library comes home at last.

Posted : 28/09/2017 1:28 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

I know you're a busy lad what with work and refurbishing the house. thumb_gif

Oh and In case you've forgotten ( I think you probably have), last year you also offered to scan a BUSH CTV brochure you acquired.

Posted : 28/09/2017 5:24 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

You're damned right - I have forgotten.embarassed

Posted : 28/09/2017 6:43 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

What I have to hand at the moment are the Grundig Reviews for 73/74, 76/77, 77/78 and c. 1980.

The 76/77 Review contains a price list too: in that the 2040Q is replaced by the 2240Q (although confusingly, it is listed as the 2240S in the price list). With a set of four model 5000 globe loudspeakers, you would be handing the princely sum of £807.70 to your Grundig dealer.

You won't be surprised to learn that that was the most expensive thing in the catalogue! I have a soft spot for Grundig stuff of this era, mainly because my first cassette recorder was a model C410. Got that via my brother's father-in-law for a late Christmas present in 1975 - it was a customer return from the Freeman's catalogue mail-order company, where he worked.

In fact, although I swore I'd never buy anything more with a Grundig badge on (I have a lot of Grundig radios: mostly transistor but a good few valve ones too), I did buy a really smart example of the RR400 radio-cassette at Harpenden last weekend.

Posted : 28/09/2017 7:23 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Cathovisor said
What I have to hand at the moment are the Grundig Reviews for 73/74, 76/77, 77/78 and c. 1980.

As you say, smack bang in the right area of interest, they sound perfect

Cathovisor said

The 76/77 Review contains a price list too: in that the 2040Q is replaced by the 2240Q (although confusingly, it is listed as the 2240S in the price list). With a set of four model 5000 globe loudspeakers, you would be handing the princely sum of £807.70 to your Grundig dealer.

You could just tell it was top notch for the time. I suspect maybe during the 90's you might have been able to find one for significantly less. Now ? I bet if one turned up it would be top money once again, couldn't afford it then, can't afford it now, its as if time stood still. doh_gif

Posted : 28/09/2017 7:41 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Reputable Member Registered

Hi Chris,

Re brochures, unfortunately a high proportion of those I had were recycled many years ago due to lack of space. However one that survived (and there may be others) was for the original Philips LaserVision VLP700, all six folded pages! Guess 1981 is probably too far outside your time-frame, but if this floats your boat, than it is only a scan away...

Rich

Posted : 28/09/2017 7:52 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Chris said

Cathovisor said

As you say, smack bang in the right area of interest, they sound perfect

Cathovisor said

You could just tell it was top notch for the time. I suspect maybe during the 90's you might have been able to find one for significantly less. Now ? I bet if one turned up it would be top money once again, couldn't afford it then, can't afford it now, its as if time stood still. doh_gif  

You want Space Age, straight out of Space:1999? Try these:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rosita_commander_luxus.html

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rosita_vision_2000.html

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/wega_stereo_bar_studio_3300_h.html

Posted : 28/09/2017 8:10 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Marconi_MPT4 said
Hi Chris,

Re brochures, unfortunately a high proportion of those I had were recycled many years ago due to lack of space. However one that survived (and there may be others) was for the original Philips LaserVision VLP700, all six folded pages! Guess 1981 is probably too far outside your time-frame, but if this floats your boat, than it is only a scan away...

Rich  

Hi Rich,

1981 isn't too far out of the window of interest, realistically I was always probably going to push the 67-77 window up to 1980.

I'm not going to get anal about 67-77, if something warrants inclusion then I will. I do have to draw the line so anything post 85 should probably be left to some other website that documents 80's - noughties.

The Laser Vision probably meets the criteria of inclusion, so a scan would be welcome.

Posted : 28/09/2017 8:23 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Cathovisor said

You want Space Age, straight out of Space:1999? Try these:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rosita_commander_luxus.html

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rosita_vision_2000.html

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/wega_stereo_bar_studio_3300_h.html  

Very nice, I have plans to re-purpose the spare lounge ( currently the TV display junk room), to furnish and kit it out in period 70's style. I would love to find something like those first two or the Grundig to compliment the Aphelion.

Posted : 28/09/2017 8:35 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Chris said

Very nice, I have plans to re-purpose the spare lounge ( currently the TV display junk room), to furnish and kit it out in period 70's style. I would love to find something like those first two or the Grundig to compliment the Aphelion.  

There was a Rosita Commander Luxus on eBay some time ago but my God, the price!

Sanyo Phonosphere, perhaps?

By the way - the Ferguson Studio 1000 looks like those nasty modern toys available today (and there's one on eBay at the moment).

Posted : 28/09/2017 10:12 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Reputable Member Registered

Chris said

Marconi_MPT4 said
Hi Chris,

Rich  

The Laser Vision probably meets the criteria of inclusion, so a scan would be welcome.  

Hi Chris,

I have scanned LaserVision document at 300dpi and just need to do some post processing. This might be a silly question but for data upload the rules state this service is restricted to members only and only to be used with prior approval of the admin otherwise files will be deleted... so question is, do I have approval to upload? read04

Rich

Posted : 29/09/2017 12:03 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Marconi_MPT4 said

This might be a silly question but for data upload the rules state this service is restricted to members only and only to be used with prior approval of the admin otherwise files will be deleted.  … so question is, do I have approval to upload? read04

That statement was/is introduced to ensure dialogue takes place about what is being uploaded. That what is being offered is not the property of another site, person or restricted copyright. We've clearly had that discussion, so absolutely, feel free to use the upload service. thumb_gif

Posted : 29/09/2017 12:12 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

It would appear my first post in this thread has confused some, I've seen comments such as "This is just outside the 67-77 times-cale", so let me clear up any confusion.

There is no "outside time-scale" with regards to any post made on the forum.

Folk who are interested in posting or discussing anything on the forum, be it about radios, TV's or anything else from any other decade are of course welcome to do so.

My statement in the first post is in relation to the web-site concentrating on the period 1967-1977, was purely in reference to the brochures, trade papers and articles that I'm publishing, nothing else. Its about me extending the scope of that.

The forum remains unchanged, it is about our hobby as a whole, from the early days of bread-board radio to 1990's ghetto blasters, if that floats your boat.

I hope this settles any confusion and I've amended the first post to try and ensure my point is clear.

Posted : 04/10/2017 7:14 am
Share: